Author Topic: LittleReDuck's MK3 20V T  (Read 26160 times)

Offline LittleReDuck

• GTI forum regular
  • '98 180bhp MK3 1.8T and Loving It
Re: LittleReDuck's MK3 20V T
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2014, 08:38 »
As the car is pretty much running perfectly it was off to Volksfest for Sunday.

Couple of rolling shots from the convoy up.  Was tempted to take it up the strip but it was very damp when we first arrived and by the time it had dried up all the slots had all gone!

Anyways a lovely day all in the highlight of which was a 500bhp Boxer powered T1 Camper!

VR Died...Now running MK3 Golf 180bhp 1.8T

Offline LittleReDuck

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 13 August 2014, 10:58 »
Spent some time rerouting and trimming a few bay hoses to just improve the fit or swapping for better parts. No pictures i'm afraid as my phone had died.
Also stomped out my sticker obsession and removed all the rubbish from the car giving a cleaner look.

Using the car as a daily and already starting to notice the difference in my fuel savings on the derv gearbox.  In fact this is the only car I have ever owned that will see over 300miles from a tank!   :grin: :grin:

Also Found a few more photos of Archie parked up at Volksfest next to a fellow member

Offline N900 MJT

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 13 August 2014, 17:32 »
Hahahaha - my face in the last picture, I think I had just noticed the scratches!!!

Yeah the derv box is great and if you really want to be eco unplug the n75 and reduce the boost even further lol, that's how I got 400 miles out of mine on a run to the coast :D

Offline LittleReDuck

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 10 September 2014, 10:53 »
So time for a rather large update.

Two weekends ago this happened...

A drunk driver sped down my road hitting two other cars and then hitting the front end of mine before driving off from the scene. All this happened while I was in bed and the first I knew of it was being woken by the police at 4.30am!

This triggered a spur of the moment sale add as I just couldn't be bothered any more...luckily I was talked out of this and decided to fix it up.

With the car being pushed onto the drive I started stripping out all of the broken bits to get a look at the damage and see what is required. I also decided that while it was all stripped out that I would tidy some of the previous bug bears with the conversion.

the result of the strip down was -

The damage report was two broken headlights, twisted slam panel, a lot of broken intercooler pipe work, broken radiator, broken twin fan unit, broken grill, slightly bent wing/bonnet and worse for wear bumper. The tow point has also been bent slightly but checking all the measurement for the chassis luckily the rail is still dead straight and exactly where it needs to be.  While in the bay I stripped all the non-functioning AC pipes out as well as the condenser and used a shorter serpentine belt off a non-AC model.

I sourced an entire structural front end from a friend and cracked on with mocking it all up. While replacing the pipework for the intercooler I decided to up-rate a lot of the silicone pieces and reroute it to allow a little more space in the bay.

While in the bay I have ordered the parts for a full EVAP/SAI delete to declutter a bit as well as make some space.  Also going to sack off the HID kit fitted by the previous owner and head back to standard lights as the HID is horrible and blinding.

Still a fair amount to go but the plans are to have the FMIC fitted by tomorrow and piped in as well as the front end reassembled to allow the car to run. From here it will be a case of hunting down a new bumper, bonnet and wing! If anyone is breaking a black magic car around London let me know!

Offline LittleReDuck

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 24 September 2014, 09:20 »
Another chunky update in the life of this car.

So all my EVAP/SAI delete stuff turned up allowing me to remove a massive amount of useless pipework and free up a bit of space in the bay. I used a blanking plate from eBay to block the hole on the block and then set about replacing the coolant neck and cutting away a lot of the useless pipes.

While on the engine block war path I removed the aircon condenser, which had never worked since the engine conversion so was just dead weight. This was fiddly as the top bolt hit the chassis leg stopping it from being completely removed causing me to cut the bolt in half to remove!
After the removal of the aircon I sourced a shorter drive belt from Euro's and fitted this all up happy. I think it was part number 06A 145 933 D.

Anyways after a productive few hours all this was out...

Meanwhile the rest of my boost piping arrived and alongside some H1 Osram Night Breakers I have got to replace the horrible HID wiring and shoddy bulbs.
Another hour or two of cutting, flexing and generally tearing stuff out all the HID wires had been removed and an original headlight loom re-installed as well as the new boost and coolant piping routes in place and clipped up.
I refitted the slam bar and FMIC this time a little tighter to the car as the Air con rad had been removed.
And I was left with this...

Next up was the bumper...I salvaged the old one and am slightly ashamed to admit I have 'drift stitched', as the JDM boys like to call it, the bumper with cable ties. They're black and neat so pretty unoticable especially due to the fairly obvious scrapes on the front!

A colour coded bumper is on my shopping list.
The bumper itself was straight and not to broken which allowed a good fitting and even a new set of amber indicators to clip into the outsides...finally things were going in the right direction!
The bumper fitting however highlighted quite how bent the drivers wing was, after a quick search online for a colour coded one I couldn't find something in a nice enough condition to bother with so bit the bullet and purchased a new one off the ever lovely Boney Bradley made famous as Mod of the MK3 section and owner at OEM and More. I had all my braking components off him previously and the service was impeccable.

While the headlights were off I masked them up and Joey Modded them. I've always liked the look and saw this as an ideal opportunity.

So all I had to do was fit everything, refill the system and test drive it...or so I thought.
It turns out the late model twin rad Aircon VR6's carried a completely different fan system and plug set up to any other model in the MK3 range. Now I was using a 16V rad and fan setup none of my plugs fitted. I managed to source a new radiator temp sensor and extend the loom to fit the plug on the other side of the rad to before. The fans however were a pain.
I took the decision to remove and swap a single fan as people wanted stupid figures for the whole fan and rad system.
So my old system was part number 1H0 959 455 J and I managed to source a 1H0 959 455 AH fan which carried the new style three speed, four pin plug.
Removed the rad from the cowling and swapped the fans, hooked the system up and it all kicked into life!

Filled her with coolant, bled the system, fitted the everything up and took it for a spin.
Boosts lovely and goes like the rocket I remember, one very happy chap although it is grill-less at the moment for that true project car look.

Its on a show stand (not show material but at least its got a story) at GTI Festival up Pod on the 5th and I have a few cheeky plans for it before then.  Now to get the saving back on track for an RTEC trip.

Offline LittleReDuck

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 07 October 2014, 17:55 »
I located a grill, fitted the bra and headed off to Pod at the weekend. Covering 420mile in total and I'm pleased to say nothing went wrong at all. The car returned 37mpg over the entire trip and was quite honestly lovely to drive.

A little update from last time was a lovely new intake pipe that relocates the air intake down into the wing and as such gives the car a ridiculously loud sucking induction noise followed by a very loud recirculation dump! such an addictive noise!

Apart from that not a huge amount to report...Instead a couple of shot of her sat on the stand...and under the new rules sporting the tax disk from 2006...just because...

And a finally highlight of the day was seeing what I'm pretty sure is Hurdy's Golf R in the flesh...I guess it was reasonably quick

http://vid1342.photobucket.com/albums/o771/LittleReDuck/E578E866-3CF8-4F82-80B5-DFBFBB34C19E_zpsndhhfeqb.mp4

Offline LittleReDuck

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 09 October 2014, 16:28 »
Sadly the Golf is for sale.
Thank you to all and everyone that read and participated with this motor  :cry:

Find it here
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=270611.0

Offline LittleReDuck

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 21 October 2014, 08:30 »
And now sold.

Gone to a very good new home with a new owner that has plenty more planned for her!