Author Topic: Rehab's Mk3  (Read 51237 times)

Offline jimmydub

• GTI forum regular
Rehab's Mk3
« on: 26 January 2013, 20:51 »
hi all,

just wanted to start my project thread as a record for myself and hopefully to get some tips,advise and suggestions from the huge knowledge base you guys have here on gtiforum!

there is a bit of background info on my mk3 here:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=246831.0

as said in that post she came with lots of paperwork including a very comprehensive service history, MOT certificates and parts receipts.
i know it's only an 8v, so performance/speed isn't such a big deal for me; none the less i'd still like her to shine and turn a few heads.

heres a pic of my inspiration and what i will be aiming for, give or take a few details ( i know its a 3 door ;))

so here's a list of what i want to do:

1. Wheels: BBS RS with any luck, otherwise Lenso's.
2. Coil-overs
2a. Rear & Front spacers
3. Morette / Hella Headlights Vento front end
4. Near-side rear door (problem described below)
5. Head lining
6. Legal tints all round and matching sun visor
7. Tailgate replacement
8. Leather anni. Interior
9. Leather handbrake & gear-stick gaiters.
10. new stearing wheel
11. black lining & pillars to match rest of interior
12. Wind Deflectors
13. VR6 splitter

Eventually i may consider an exhaust sytem (soon to be getting a twin chrome backbox for time being).

everything above is a bit out of my budget at the moment but i have a few little bits i can be getting on with.

heres a few photo's of how she sits right now and the few odds n sodds i've done so far.

the badge i had printed on the plates look like this:

the original aerial was completely shot so i had to replace both gasket and aerial.

quite difficult to see in the photo but i have a crease on my nearside rear door. i guess someone left it open when reversing. it's not a major issue at all and was clearly repaired very well. the door doesn't quite sit flush around the top edge. again, not an issue, no leaking.

drivers side seals. 'nuff said :(
« Last Edit: 28 November 2015, 16:58 by jimmydub »

Offline stow1985

• I live here
  • 'when im cleaning winders'
Re: Rehab's Mk3 - low n slow (eventually!)
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2013, 21:01 »
Hello again, look forward to project unfolding
GOLF GTI MK3 2LTR 8V-MATT BLACK-WORKHORSE

Window cleaning: www.marcstow.vpweb.co.uk

Offline jimmydub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2013, 21:08 »
Hello again, look forward to project unfolding

nice one mate! i've just checked out your work motor, i've seen you on the road! f**k knows where but i've seen you!

Offline stow1985

• I live here
  • 'when im cleaning winders'
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2013, 22:09 »
Can't miss me really...were abouts in Essex are you, I'm always drving round the county
GOLF GTI MK3 2LTR 8V-MATT BLACK-WORKHORSE

Window cleaning: www.marcstow.vpweb.co.uk

Offline jimmydub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2013, 11:40 »
Can't miss me really...were abouts in Essex are you, I'm always drving round the county

sunny sunny Thurrock mate. and today is no exception!

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2013, 12:45 »
Looks like a good project. Have you checked the sills and arches? Could end up doing what it had to do lol
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline jimmydub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2013, 15:51 »
Looks like a good project. Have you checked the sills and arches? Could end up doing what it had to do lol

i haven't pulled anything off and checked, don't wanna go down that road if i can avoid it! felt around the inside/underside and all seems fine; there's the bit on the drivers door seal shown in the photo, a minor bit by an arch and also some bubbling on the hatch where the water collects. i'm gonna give it a proper check over when i sort some wheels and coil-overs in the coming weeks/months.

just having a read through your gti project now mate

Offline jimmydub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2013, 16:29 »
just a little update; only a simple job but nice touch i reckon.

« Last Edit: 28 November 2015, 16:56 by jimmydub »

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2013, 16:35 »

i haven't pulled anything off and checked, don't wanna go down that road if i can avoid it! felt around the inside/underside and all seems fine; there's the bit on the drivers door seal shown in the photo, a minor bit by an arch and also some bubbling on the hatch where the water collects. i'm gonna give it a proper check over when i sort some wheels and coil-overs in the coming weeks/months.

Yh I didn't plan on going all the work as it was a doner car, but thort I'd "do it up" Insted which turned out to be months of work and a full respray  :laugh:. Tis worth it tho. As long as the sills are good and the rear arches are ok then no need to worry, mot welding patches don't cost loads and new wings are cheap. Looks like a tidy car and your plan for her looks sweet!
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline jimmydub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2013, 16:41 »

Yh I didn't plan on going all the work as it was a doner car, but thort I'd "do it up" Insted which turned out to be months of work and a full respray  :laugh:. Tis worth it tho. As long as the sills are good and the rear arches are ok then no need to worry, mot welding patches don't cost loads and new wings are cheap. Looks like a tidy car and your plan for her looks sweet!

cheers mate, appreciate the comments! MOT aint til April so fingers crossed all pans out well.