Author Topic: Boneybradley's blue Mk3 8v Anniversary!! The keeper?  (Read 55476 times)

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
Re: Boneybradley's Mk3 8v Anniversary more door.. Down Boy!!
« Reply #110 on: 23 March 2014, 16:55 »
Well it's being a few fun weeks for the anniversary

First was a full machine polish (with a bit of paintwork correction as someone hit the car and left a few marks on the wing/bumper)

also changed were the front indicators and tow eye blanks for a perfect condition set (given to me by a good friend!)

also obtained for very low prices were a US cup holder and a set of genuine VW rubber mats (so much better than the carpet one's I had fitted)

and my final job was to switch wheels back to the BBS for summer which went with a major hitch (even though I had painted them ready for fitting)

I should check what I'm doing as when I went to balance the wheels, 1 was egg shaped (the one the wife hit the kerb with that spun ok but obviously had taken a proper knock!). So finding a BBS RS722 7" rim was difficult (cheapest on ebay was a proper rough one for around £100!) and I have settled for a set of 4 from a broken Anni in the end (so if anyone needs an Anni RS722 in 7x16 size let me know).

The only advantage was I stumbled across a small unit near my workshop who do body repairs and wheel refurbishments and they have quoted me £40 per wheel for a full acid dip and sand blast and full powdercoat (or a basecoat of powder for £20 a wheel). Luckily I turned up when someone was collecting a set of wheels done by them and the work looked very good.

Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline mark-mk3gti

• I live here
Re: Boneybradley's Mk3 8v Anniversary more door.. Down Boy!!
« Reply #111 on: 23 March 2014, 18:33 »
hey mate! yeah I being looking for a single 7j anni rim, lol, pricey! how much would you want for 1?

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
Re: Boneybradley's blue Mk3 8v Anniversary!! The keeper?
« Reply #112 on: 13 April 2014, 23:37 »
Well a small update

The blue anni is getting paint in a few weeks (and a dent man!) in the meantime here's my latest oem update (using genuine red mk3.5 switches). I do need to find an air con switch and decide if the clocks should go red??

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #113 on: 25 April 2014, 22:43 »
Well the job list keeps growing but thanks to the wife ruining a winter tyre, I had to fit the bbs back before they were finished (polished) but at least it looks like an anni again (and I got the tracking redone and found it was 13degree out!! thats the wife's kerb touch parking I guess?)

and both anni's together (showing the new hella red/clear rear's fitted)

Next week the major work starts for the restoration which is
  • New Front wings, grille and wing mirrors
  • Full rear quarter and 2 doors de-rusted and painted and rest of body paint correction as needed
  • Both sills welded (fixing the bent jack points, maybe new sills??) and check of rest of chassis
  • EBC front discs and Ferodo rear discs with matching pads
  • Boge turbo shocks and my choice of German made springs (maybe lower but maybe not?)
  • Full interior clean and replacing any worn trim (I am wanting a Polo 6n2 steering wheel with red stiching but wont pay silly money!)

I keep adding bits but I'm not 100% on a lot as yet (I know what money I have to spend but many mk3 parts attract too much tax!!) oh and despite this car having new suspension and brakes within the last year, those parts will go on the black daily (which will donate some trim etc to the blue one). The black one will be the daily from next week!! (ready for the wife to kill!  :sad:)[/list]

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #114 on: 13 May 2014, 12:27 »
Well this weeks work all ready to go!!

I also have a set of calipers that are 100% free, so dependant on what issue's I find with the current one's they may also be fitted??

oh and the work on this begins (I have a new wing waiting but have decided the brakes are more important!!)

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #115 on: 13 May 2014, 13:12 »
You chose EBC discs?
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #116 on: 13 May 2014, 13:56 »
You chose EBC discs?

Yes, I don't believe the people who diss them!!  :smiley:

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #117 on: 28 May 2014, 16:38 »
Well I never updated this but I had some wheel bolt issues (the split rim bolts!!) giving me a wheel like

Luckily it happened a few miles from the motorway otherwise it would of being fun!! (it did happen about a mile from Bradford city centre! and I felt the vibration, so stopped quickly!). Now every bolt had come loose on that wheel and I think I know the cause?? Iffy nut lock (I have put some on last night to a bolt to see how it dries, so far it hasn't!! That's using the same bottle of VW genuine nut lock!!)

So I am currently redoing the wheels and will use some other nut lock (and plenty of it)

and that means the car is back on the red long beach alloys (but now fitted with summer tyres!)

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #118 on: 28 June 2014, 11:39 »
Well it's being an odd few weeks with the blue Anni

First whilst I was travelling for work she broke a front wheel bearing and hub leaving me stranded in the middle of the country (and the garage didn't help as they kept ordering the wrong parts!! I did tell them which to order but they went there own way and it took there ramp out of action for 3 day's, so it wasn't all bad for me!), but a new hub and bearing later she's back 100%.

Then it was MOT time and she initially failed as a front brake hose split whilst the brakes were being tested (more expense as the Goodridge I have fitted are not cheap!! I partially blame my mechanic as they were not secured to the strut so had rubbed on the wheel rim over the last few months!). But that was the only issue and she passed with only minor advisories on the sills (which are due to get done very soon!).

I have now refitted the anni BBS which I painted in grey primer and then lacquered and I have fitted some upper and lower front vents (and now don't have fogs but as the Mk3.5 headlight switch wasn't for front fogs so they were surplus), oh and a new rear seat, gearnob and glovebox are now fitted (as they were far better condition than the current one's)

Next job's are a new steering wheel and then the paint (with a new wing and rear repair panel)... let's she if she behaves until then!!