Author Topic: MK3 Golf 1.8t Project  (Read 37432 times)

Offline snail_on_skunk

• Not said much yet
  • MK3 Golf GTI 20VT
Re: MK3 Golf 1.8t Project
« Reply #20 on: 01 June 2013, 08:01 »
Oh right. Got ya matey. You got a link for it plz?

This is the one im using currently as it ok for the power output im going for, will upgrade to a forge or HKS core when i start looking at bigger turbo and stuff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FMIC-FFRONT-MOUNT-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-TYPE-S-550x140x65MM-/310204072463?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item48399a820f

Spoke to Forge, they actually have a service where they take your current intercooler and replace just the core to your spec, saves you re-modifying for another cooler, they couldnt give a price over the phone though, had to see the cooler to give a price, but good to know that service is there when i need it!  :smiley:
6N2 Polo 1.4 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 20VT

Offline snail_on_skunk

• Not said much yet
  • MK3 Golf GTI 20VT
« Reply #21 on: 01 June 2013, 08:12 »
Thought id add these cheeky pics as i got the wheels back yesterday, paint on centre caps is just silver with no laquer at the moment, todays job, hand paint and laquer the porsche crests!  :wink:

6N2 Polo 1.4 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 20VT

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #22 on: 01 June 2013, 11:28 »
nice and subtle, love it

good luck with the centre caps

Offline AGGGTi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 01 June 2013, 18:56 »
Absolutely love this :smiley:! Hoping to tackle a 1.8t conversion this winter on mine, how much is your insurance adding up to if you dont mind me asking, as im the same age as you and its the only thing thatll possibly create a stumbling block for me tbh...

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
« Reply #24 on: 01 June 2013, 19:35 »
Thanks mate. Wheels are looking :cool: :cool:
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline snail_on_skunk

• Not said much yet
  • MK3 Golf GTI 20VT
« Reply #25 on: 02 June 2013, 02:46 »
Absolutely love this :smiley:! Hoping to tackle a 1.8t conversion this winter on mine, how much is your insurance adding up to if you dont mind me asking, as im the same age as you and its the only thing thatll possibly create a stumbling block for me tbh...

I havnt registered it yet! lol i plan to soon, but want to get the car finished completely, then get DVLA down and go over the whole car so the log book is exact, i.e emissions, weight, bhp output

But it is still a 16v GTI, and in north london at 23 with 9 points (i had to find out the top speed of the golf, 140mph so far  :evil:) its only 870 a year, which isnt too bad!
6N2 Polo 1.4 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 20VT

Offline snail_on_skunk

• Not said much yet
  • MK3 Golf GTI 20VT
« Reply #26 on: 16 August 2014, 00:57 »
well after a long year of not doing any work to the car, taking it off the road and buying another mk3 as a run around, i finally got my finger out and started to get it running again

just a re-cap for the past year, head gasket went so had to strip it down and while it was it peices i decided to do some extras to it as i was getting used to the power too much, ill let the pictures do most of the talking

so here is the car with the head off, easier to leave turbo floating when doing this, so while it was there, why not talk to an old friend who could make me hybrid k04 for a good price

Still on the to do list:
- finish battery tray and properly support (and paint)
- mount and support air filter and MAF
- sort out dump valve and vacuum pipe work
- issue with clearance for o/s drive shaft with oil return pipe and engine mount needs to be addressed
- get mapped
- enjoy  :smiley:
6N2 Polo 1.4 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 20VT

Offline Scott-R

• I live here
  • GoT BoosT!
« Reply #27 on: 31 August 2014, 15:39 »
Very good work.  :cool:
Golf GTI ... What else would you have?

Offline snail_on_skunk

• Not said much yet
  • MK3 Golf GTI 20VT
« Reply #28 on: 31 August 2014, 18:32 »
well, it runs, and i need to get it mapped so i can enjoy it properly

took me about 3 days of bleeding the coolant system (so many air bubbles in the heater matrix) but finally sorted it and it runs, fans kick in properly, hot air in car (not that i need it currently), interior all back together after running battery cables to boot, need to make a mount of some sort for the air filter to sit a bit higher

next to start saving for a map

here she is as it stands, i like the "basic" look it gives off, needs rims though, adaptors coming soon...

6N2 Polo 1.4 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 20VT

Offline snail_on_skunk

• Not said much yet
  • MK3 Golf GTI 20VT
« Reply #29 on: 09 April 2015, 20:39 »
thought i might as well bring this back to life. been a while, have been saving for more stuff and funnily enough, got a bit out of control. was just saving towards a map and ended up getting a new cylinder head, came up cheap and now its currently getting ported. also got a new upgraded 5.0 bar intank fuel pump, 4.0 FPR, 440cc injectors, V4 relentless manifold (getting port matched to the head), and found another set of 16" staggered teledials, so now i can run 8J 16" all around and came with adaptors (Also got a nice set of 4 7J 16" Teledials for sale if anyone is interested lol) gonna lift the car a bit so i can put more tyre on the rim, going for grim more than "stance"

Will take some pictures of everything at the weekend and upload soon.

Also, ended up at Santa Pod for Fastshow and thought f**k it and put it down the track, just to give myself a time to aim for once its done. Well, for an overfuelling and not mapped on 6j steels (mk4 golf steels, think they might even be 5.5j, correct me if im wrong) car, best time i got was 14.9, which im actually quite happy with.
6N2 Polo 1.4 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 8v
Mk3 Golf GTi 20VT