Author Topic: RichardBaronGolf - grey 16v  (Read 31857 times)

Offline RichardBaronGolf

• GTI forum regular
Re: RichardBaronGolf - grey 16v
« Reply #20 on: 19 September 2013, 16:52 »
More maintenance! Had the rear backing plates, Bearings, Disc's and pad's changed :) stops well! Pictures to follow!

Offline RichardBaronGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 09 October 2013, 13:43 »
Still got to take pictures of all the brakes there looking nice and shiny :) I'm probably never going to be a photographer haha, Anyways Cambelt's been done along the way found that the power steering belt needed doing and a new aux tensioner! Will get on it next week as back at work now  :cry:

Here pics (rubbish) Of cambelt old and new:

And the old PAS belt:

Offline RichardBaronGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 06 November 2013, 20:08 »
There's more work to come in the following days!

A knock has developed somewhere from the front left bottom side of the car so will be investigating this and hopefully getting it sorted on Friday.

I've recently thought about selling the car again, I thought about getting a Scooby in January (the dark side I now) but I've been debating do I really want to spend that much money if I keep saving as I am I might even be able to move out woo. So the golf will be kept, Things do bother me though like the fact the rear arches need doing  :cry: But we will see what the future brings!

I've bought another major service kit, Oil, plugs, leads, fuel filter etc. Which i'll get done Friday I've put 20 K on her this year without missing a beat except the oil pressure switch. Clutch and brakes were done for my peace of mind :)

I'll get back to this thread about whatever the knock is!   

Offline RichardBaronGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 11 November 2013, 13:30 »
Knock seemed to be the top mounts ! I've had them replaced as they were well past their sell by date haha. I've got some pictures of them newly fitted so people can compare if they like before the picture I don't think I have a pic of the old ones but before being changed there was about a 1 cm maybe more gap more than there is now!

Also had a new PAS belt fitted as you can see in the picture the old one was a bit knackered.. Also there's a nice friendly chap on the way round to look at the sills ;)

Also another service pack 10 K since the last plugs so there due a change and of course oil and filter always the same combo from Opie Oils. Forgot the leads doh (will be ordering them)

Offline RichardBaronGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 11 November 2013, 14:41 »
Cars in the body shop Saturday.... Many many updates to follow ;)

Offline RichardBaronGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 05 January 2014, 14:33 »
So it's been more than a while now!

The cars been in and out of the body shop getting bits done and on the way for her i have some Porsche teledials, Spax coilovers and pressed plates as well as this more maintenance the track rod ends need doing. And have just solved and fixed a leak into the rear passenger footwell! 

Managed to give her a quick clean today first day it hasn't rained in I dont know how long! ghe car is going 1.8t come march to a very high spec which i'll list at the time!

Anyhow in the meantime i'm trying to get in looking how I want it and preparing it for the power! compared to how it stared at the start of this thread I dont think its doing too bad, now has new rear arches sills and front wings too, no rust left woo.

Offline RichardBaronGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 09 January 2014, 12:03 »
Some goodies I bought finally turned up for the car.. As well as having new track rods, tie rods and ball joints she also received these

Once again my brilliant photography  :laugh:

Once car is tracked and set up i'll write a little review up! Going on holiday soon so will be after that and I also have to buy some tyres for and fit my Porsche teledials!

The old suspension will also be up for sale it all looks in reasonable condition ill give it a clean and put it in the classifieds weren't the best ride, quite crashy but cheap lows at 50 quid! 

Offline RichardBaronGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 09 January 2014, 16:25 »
Just stuck some pressed plates on her! Really sets off the rear end in my opinion! And a little whore picture of her sitting like a tank, once the Teledials have tires and are on the car going to get the SPAX RSX set up properly :)

Offline RichardBaronGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 22 January 2014, 15:03 »
Another clean. Had nothing but trouble trying to get the new alloys on the car! Wanted them put on and a four wheel allignment done but a few places did not want to touch them because PCD adaptors were involved  :huh: Didn't know this was such an issue with garages!

Anyway there in a garage now being fitted any problems there going to contact me!

Some more pictures of a clean :)

Offline RichardBaronGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 27 January 2014, 17:07 »
Where to start... Kinda of  :smiley: and kinda  :cry: :angry:

Lowered the car on saturday. Finally have the Porsche teledials fitting right too theres the good part! woo.

The not so good part is I decided to do the lowering outside. The weather looked okay then as I came to the last side (front right) a bloody monsoon erupted. The adjuster would not move for love nor money and it took an hour it the pouring rain to get that one side completed.. In my anger I whacked the wheel on once done with a gun quickly and managed to round of one of the holes in the adapter great!

Moral of the story: dont get pissed off and do stupid things. lol.

Anyway I've got one picture of how I measured the lowering which made sense to me from the bottom of the thread each side to the bottom of the adjuster.

£140 later new adapters are on the way!

Also I suspect the rear hub spindles need changing I bought some quality OEM bearings just incase although the bearing were replaced less than 10k ago with the same quality but there is play in the wheels dammit lol.

Rears were done twice in this picture they were at 5cm from the bottom of the adjuster ended up going down to 4cm from the bottom. Betsy is sitting on 16" 205/45 I'll post some pictures of how she looks once she all tracked up and also once ive dropped the fronts a little more :)

Rear beam bushes being done tomorrow.. Maintenance Maintenance Maintenance Maintenance ...  :whistle:

Thats all for now.