Author Topic: Dom069 - My 8v Story So Far - Deposit Taken :(  (Read 179265 times)

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
Re: Dom069 - My Mk3 Story So Far!
« Reply #20 on: 13 March 2010, 09:04 »
If you feel competant, rear bearings aren't too difficult.
Golf MK3 1.8 auto and I didn't pay a grand for the "priveledge" :grin:, auto windows all round and a AC. Oh and I've got a luggage net you pricks!

Does that make my willy look bigger?

Oh yeah it's called Helda or something....

Offline snifferdog

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 13 March 2010, 09:09 »
Nice looking motor mate, and weirdly, i had the same alarm problem at 10 o clock the other night!! Mine turned itself off though. :grin: :grin: :grin:

kells

« Reply #22 on: 13 March 2010, 13:20 »
rear bearings not too bad, you will need new rear discs and a press to press them int the disc, i didnt have a press but used a bit of pipe that was the same dia  as the outside of the bearing (so it didnt damage it)  can be faffy mate

Offline VR6-Joe

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 13 March 2010, 14:56 »
Phew....almost 2 hours later and managed to get through it all! Looking seriously good Joe, you wouldn't believe it was the same car you started with  :cool:

Did you tint your headlights yourself? I know you said you did the 1st ones that were too dark but what about the ones you have in now?

And how many times have you changed your mind about selling/keeping?? lol  :laugh: Personally if i'd put that much time and effort into making it as good as you have, i'd stick with it and do the 1.8T conversion...just my opinion tho!

Nice one bruv   :smiley:

Only just seen this as have been helping a fellow forum member repair all the problems with his GTI haha.

Thanks for spending the time to look through my project thread :)

Yep it's the first thing I do whenever I get a set of headlights. Clear headlights just don't do it for me so they always go smoked. If you'd like a write up on how to do it then I'll happily help you out or I can tint my spare set of lights and sell them to you so you still have the originals to put back on if you ever decide to sell the car.

The CL headlights were just me pissing about with a can of paint to be honest. My vento front end came off and was sold on, so I bought some VR headlights off ebay and whilst waiting for them to arrive the CL ones got painted satin black and thrown on just for a laugh. Couldn't see f**k all with them though, luckily my VR ones turned up the next day!

The reason I change my mind like the weather is because I've owned 5 Mk3's in the last 3 years and I'm now bored of them and wish to move onto something different. I always put my car up for sale but never get any interest so end up keeping it and changing something else on it which keeps me happy until the next time I get bored lol.

I don't think I would do a 1.8T conversion, I think I'd go for the 6 cylinder beast.. the VR6.. and chuck a turbo/supercharger onto that :smiley:
Gone but not forgotten;
1983 Mk1 Golf GX - 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI - 1988 Scirocco Scala - 1989 Mk2 Golf CL - 1993 Mk3 Golf Ryder - 1996 Mk3 Golf SE - 1996 Mk3 Golf CL - 1995 Mk3 Golf GTI 16v - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline - 2003 Saxo VTR - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #24 on: 14 March 2010, 11:48 »
I'm thinking i'll just get a mechanic to change the bearing for me....take the easy option!

Painting the calipers went out of the window, went for 'a couple of drinks' last night so feeling a bit rough today, just gonna watch the F1 instead! I'll get it sorted in the week!

Yep it's the first thing I do whenever I get a set of headlights. Clear headlights just don't do it for me so they always go smoked. If you'd like a write up on how to do it then I'll happily help you out or I can tint my spare set of lights and sell them to you so you still have the originals to put back on if you ever decide to sell the car.

PM sent  :smiley:

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #25 on: 14 March 2010, 18:47 »
Does anyone want to give me idiot proof instructions for changing the thermostat? I really need to invest in a Haynes manual!

Also need to change the powersteering belt....again if anyone has instructions they'd be really appreciated  :smiley:

Joe - sent you another PM dude  :grin:

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #26 on: 18 March 2010, 20:15 »
Right...quick update! Got myself a Haynes and a new thermostat so i'll tackle that at the weekend. Also got some tinted headlights on the way thanks to VR6 Joe....thanks again pal!

Been playing with Photoshop....this is the car now:

And this is it with a little tweaking....this is what I had pictured in my head for it, but after seeing this i'm not so sure  :undecided: (it might just be my poor photoshop skills!).

What does everyone think?

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #27 on: 18 March 2010, 20:20 »
I believe poor Photoshop skills. :grin: If you're going to have smoked headlights, smoked indicators, fogs and blanking plates then they will look a lot better in real life. The two slats black I think look ACE on a red MK3. With badge or without.

Wheels however a hit and miss, depends how deep you go with the black.

Offline benvictors

• I live here
  • bgk Tuning - coming soon!!!
« Reply #28 on: 18 March 2010, 20:26 »

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #29 on: 18 March 2010, 20:27 »
Wheels look better silver.