Author Topic: Wheel weights  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Wheel weights
« on: 30 September 2013, 23:54 »
Is it unusual for a wheel not to need wheel weights?

Had a new tyre fitted the recently and whilst cleaning the car I noticed that wheel no longer has any weights.  The wheel was balanced at the time of tyre fitting.  Just thought it was quite rare for them not to be needed.  Either that or they've fallen off  :undecided:  Haven't noticed any steering vibration at speed though.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline mark@vorny.co.uk

• GTI forum regular
Re: Wheel weights
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2013, 00:11 »
Michelins by any chance ?

I have had perfectly balanced Michelins before now, albeit some years ago.

2012 GTi 3 door, DSG, Nav, Roof, Monza's. Candy White..... and it's the wife's.
2013 Abarth 595, 2013 911 C4S.

Offline Lewy

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2013, 00:13 »
Wheels don't always require a weight on the outside, so it may be on the inside.

Saying that, I have balanced wheels and tyres many times, and occasionally you don't need to put weight on them.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2013, 00:21 »
Michelins by any chance ?

I have had perfectly balanced Michelins before now, albeit some years ago.

Not Michelins, ContiSportContact 5's.

Wheels don't always require a weight on the outside, so it may be on the inside.

Saying that, I have balanced wheels and tyres many times, and occasionally you don't need to put weight on them.

No, nothing on the inside, which is where they were originally.  Maybe it's just one of those things.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2013, 17:39 »
I was once told that on new wheels and tyres, if the red spot on the tyre is lined up with the valve, there should rarely be need to add balance weights. A nice straight wheel and a quality tyre would help matters too.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2013, 19:08 »
I was once told that on new wheels and tyres, if the red spot on the tyre is lined up with the valve, there should rarely be need to add balance weights. A nice straight wheel and a quality tyre would help matters too.

Yeah, I've read that too but have also read that some places don't bother with it.  The wheel is fairly new (replaced back in May following pothole damage), so as you say, must be a straight one.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Lewy

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2013, 11:53 »
It's normally the yellow spot that needs to be opposite the valve, as that is deemed the heaviest point in maufacture.

Offline Shizzle

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2013, 11:58 »
I have a set of Vento alloys 15" and none of the wheels needed balancing when i fitted them i have no problems with them wheel wobble at high speeds.Toyo Proxy Tyres Fitted.

MK3 Golf GTI 2.0 16v 3Door Storm Grey