Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 31972 times)

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #360 on: 09 February 2024, 14:29 »

Anyone else getting this pop up?

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #361 on: 10 February 2024, 08:27 »

Anyone else getting this pop up?

Was it not on the car standard anyway?
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #362 on: 10 February 2024, 11:57 »
That’s what I thought.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #363 on: 10 February 2024, 21:49 »
Did it do it just once? I've seen something similar... Once
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #364 on: 12 February 2024, 14:02 »
Popped up twice now…still cars going back at end of March so Ho hum.

Offline gtikel83

• Just got here
« Reply #365 on: 25 March 2024, 11:06 »
First off, sorry to hijack someone else's thread but i've a similar problem so thought it made sense to post here.

I have a 71 plate GTI from new. After about one year of ownership i started to get the dreaded pings and bongs for the travel and emergency assist alarms. They are intermittent (and random) but the frequency has increased to the point where it happens on most journeys and often many times. I am losing the will to live with it!

My car was recently in for a service and recall fix at my local VW dealership. I asked them to look at it hoping that it might be covered under warranty with the steering wheel fix but they said when they ran the diagnostics it didn't return the correct fault code for them to make a warranty claim for the steering wheel fix. They said it was due to loss of connection or could even be condensation  :rolleyes: The garage in question were quite dismissive and almost a little rude. I've bought 5 VWs from this garage over 15 years including 4 mks of golf so really expected to be treated a little better.

I've now made a formal complaint to VW but I still don't seem to be any closer to getting a resolution. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice if they have been in a similar scenario? I'm so close to breaking point with it I've started looking at getting something else but i'm paranoid if they test drove my car at trade in they would reject it!

Thanks.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #366 on: 25 March 2024, 11:26 »
There are multiple things I've had done to get rid of various bongs...

But this problem you have is the steering wheel- assuming its not in the first 10 mins of driving (when it could be sensors fogging up...that is a real thing that you won't get over ever and is weather dependent - the camera behind the mirror fogs up! It has a heater but it takes some time to clear)

You can prove it by pushing or pulling on the steering wheel while driving.... it will trigger it.

Its bad electrical connections inside the wheel.

Do that and show them if they don't believe you. The mechanic I spoke to at the my dealership last week said he does at least one steering wheel replacement a day on Golf/ID etc.

If that dealer won't accept the problem (and its a range wide problem, they are lying if they say they don't know!) then take it to another
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #367 on: 25 March 2024, 11:27 »
As you'll see from this thread gtikel83 this is the most annoying issue with the Mk8 and I lived with bongs for 2 out of the 3 years I've had my car. 

My issues have been fixed with a new steering wheel although it hasn't been the case for everyone.

I can't understand why they won't replace your steering wheel when your car is still under warranty.   It's not acceptable to say "it's not the the right code".   They need to fix the problem!!!!
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline gtikel83

• Just got here
« Reply #368 on: 25 March 2024, 15:16 »
Thanks for the reply fredgroves and BillSan.

My issue is random, and not specific to start up / or start of journeys. I've tried to keep a mental note of when they occur to see if i could spot a pattern but there's none. I will certainly try moving the steering wheel, i have noticed i seem to get more when turning but equally i can be cruising straight on the motorway and it will ping!

I was very surprised they weren't willing to acknowledge the fault or even try the replacement steering wheel fix. I tried arguing my case in the dealership but it was a waste of time and i walked out as it was starting to become a bit of a scene and took the matter up with VW UK instead. It's currently being escalated to a customer relations manager but i'm not optimistic they will help me.

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #369 on: 25 March 2024, 15:42 »
I had a very similar scenario. A WV dealership from which i had bought probably 6 new GTI and GTD s just were not interested in fixing  the multiple bongs i was getting every day for about two years. I asked them initially to do a software update, the reply was your not down for  one. I asked them for a replacement engine cover. The reply was "you dont need one, it will run fine without"
Then i went to another dealer who i had dealt with years ago. Nothing too much trouble. A engine cover was ordered and fitted within a week, along with the latest software update. Two weeks later a new steering wheel fitted. Since then no bongs.