Author Topic: How Much? Think we have bought our last VW.  (Read 12040 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: How Much? Think we have bought our last VW.
« Reply #30 on: 14 October 2018, 11:42 »

Now all the lease specials have left the leasers hands and been resold, R used prices are looking pretty solid again - I was surprised to see 15 Reg manual Rs going for between £21k and £22k at most franchised dealerships - was expecting it to be more in the region of £18k. On that basis, i'm hoping to get £16-17k for mine in p/x next march if I do chop it in for the wife to have a Polo GTI+, when i'm presuming it will have depreciated by less than £2k at retail between now and then.

In my area they are trending more to the 18k value

That car has about 20k miles more than mine or similar I have seen for £21-22k, has red paint and the Cadiz wheels (the used market seems hammer you for those). On mileage alone, that car you show has about £1500 worth extra depreciation on it. Add metalluc paint and Prets into the mix and you're back towards ,£21k.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 14 October 2018, 11:50 »
The motoring press would say A3 has better build quality - there might be some truth in that but not alot of difference.

I do not believe that at all. They use the same parts at the same pkaform level (A1 vs Polo vs Ibiza vs Fabia; Golf vs A3 vs Octavia vs Leon) excepting trim parts and body pressings. Global building techniques and standards across the marques too - there's no way they lavish more attention on a mass produced A3 than a mass produced Golf, Octavia or Leon. The Audi normally gets a nicer set of door cards and a bit more in the soft plastics dept in the lower areas of the dash, maybe leather seats in lieu of a decent level of equipment, dependent on the model (think S3 vs R).

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 14 October 2018, 12:11 »

OK, so it hasn't got the latest tech, but then neither will the current cars in a couple of years time, but it makes me wonder why the obsession with buying new?

I know people will say warranty, but I've not had any out of warranty problems in many years. And lower finance rates for those that borrow, but if it's on a lesser amount, it kind of balances out.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #33 on: 14 October 2018, 12:16 »
The VW used finance rates are an absolute joke so it currently makes more financial sense to buy new. Other loans probably still wouldn't beat the new car rate either.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 14 October 2018, 13:07 »
How much did your R cost 3 years ago? I'm sure they were expensive then, not sure why it's a surprise now. I think the 7.5 R is good value for what you get.

Exactly, I personally am fed up with this ‘only a Golf’ garbage. It’s way better than the competition and has been virtually from day one, and yet folks still whinge about the price. Fair enough if list meant list, but with 15 to 18% discounts it is good value.
That the VW brand is trusted  and sells in such numbers still, after all its negative press tells you how well it’s thought of.

My R has been the best and worst VW that i've ever owned.

Best equipped, amazing performance, no tramping, very reasonable mpg vs performance.

Worst gearbox I have ever had on a VW, akin to a 1994 Ford Transit van I used to have for a summer job from Uni. VW say it is characteristic for the car, and having driven another manual R with the same trait, i'd say it is likely to be true. Shame on you VW for knowingly fitting such a sh!te gearbox.

My instrumentation stalks are ridiculously slack for a car that has only done 26k miles.

Rusty brake disc hubs, rusty disc guards and other obvious penny pinching.

The drivers side sun visor has an annoying rattle-slap against the roof lining.

I have had 2 brief incidences of clutch slip in the cold.

It's been one of the least reliable VWs I have owned.

Not good enough for a £33k car. "Premium" is a thin veneer of slightly nicer interior trim that costs coppers to implement.
« Last Edit: 14 October 2018, 15:44 by monkeyhanger »

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 14 October 2018, 13:09 »
The motoring press would say A3 has better build quality - there might be some truth in that but not alot of difference.

I do not believe that at all. They use the same parts at the same pkaform level (A1 vs Polo vs Ibiza vs Fabia; Golf vs A3 vs Octavia vs Leon) excepting trim parts and body pressings. Global building techniques and standards across the marques too - there's no way they lavish more attention on a mass produced A3 than a mass produced Golf, Octavia or Leon. The Audi normally gets a nicer set of door cards and a bit more in the soft plastics dept in the lower areas of the dash, maybe leather seats in lieu of a decent level of equipment, dependent on the model (think S3 vs R).

After having the S3 for 3 years and golfs for far far longer, I really don’t think there is any real difference in quality in the interiors. Don’t even think the quality of plastics is better lower down. A lot of it with an Audi is perception.

I went in a testdrive of a Q3 and a T-Rocc. I actually think overall that the Vw was better. Maybe it’s just that the q3 felt really old inside.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 14 October 2018, 13:11 »
Oh and I bought an S3 because it was cheaper on a pcp than both the R and gti.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 14 October 2018, 13:38 »

That car has about 20k miles more than mine or similar I have seen for £21-22k, has red paint and the Cadiz wheels (the used market seems hammer you for those). On mileage alone, that car you show has about £1500 worth extra depreciation on it. Add metalluc paint and Prets into the mix and you're back towards ,£21k.

OK, I didn't know your spec.

However, extra's mean very little outside the private market, so I think your best bet is a private sale on Autotrader versus dealer trade-in.

The base spec price will always have the biggest influence, then mileage and condition (CAP clean!)
« Last Edit: 14 October 2018, 13:40 by david25 »
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 14 October 2018, 14:02 »

OK, so it hasn't got the latest tech, but then neither will the current cars in a couple of years time, but it makes me wonder why the obsession with buying new?

I know people will say warranty, but I've not had any out of warranty problems in many years. And lower finance rates for those that borrow, but if it's on a lesser amount, it kind of balances out.

Outside of the official dealer market they are approaching 50% of list pricing

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201809270938890

Or pay more from a dealer for an extendable warranty. It comes down to how to finance £15,000 vs £30,000, the dealer make it really easy to finance a new one!

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 14 October 2018, 14:08 »
The VW used finance rates are an absolute joke so it currently makes more financial sense to buy new. Other loans probably still wouldn't beat the new car rate either.

They have heard you and lowered their rates to a slightly better 7.4% (versus 3-ish from a bank?)