Author Topic: Where do people get private plates made - non standard spacing?  (Read 6019 times)

Offline random_nickname

• Not said much yet
Re: Where do people get private plates made - non standard spacing?
« Reply #40 on: 01 February 2018, 11:41 »
Mrs wants hers so that the space in the middle is removed and has the space between the last 2 letters instead so it reads her name more clearly but not sure if this will get picked up by the boys in blue. 

I've told her to just do it and change it back if need be.

I'm guessing this is a new style plate?  If so, is your wifes name made up of 2 letters, 2 numbers and another letter?

No the space is before the last letter. Her name is made up of 2 letters, 2 numbers (which look like the letters in her name) and 2 letters. The final letter is an X which she says will be a kiss! :kiss: and wants it separated from the name.

I was speaking to my mate who has had his plate for years who has never been pulled and seems to think as long as an ANPR picks up your plate correctly you shouldn't have any problems. His has all of his letters and numbers pushed together and has a black screw in a funny position to make a number look like a letter and another screw to make a C look like an E!

Your mates car isn't supposed to spell boosted is it? :whistle:

Yeah do you know him?  :grin:

He used to post on the mk6 board of this forum. Forum name; FBASH1R

Unfortunately I was joking and I don't think anyone thought for 1 second that I would know someone as cool as that in real life.  :cool:
| GOLF MK7 GTI | PP | DSG | KEYLESS | DYNAUDIO | SUNROOF | 3DR | WHITE |

Offline gillan

• Not said much yet
Re: Where do people get private plates made - non standard spacing?
« Reply #41 on: 01 February 2018, 11:59 »
i have a personal plate. had it over 20 years. i bought an a3 3 years ago from a dealer and he transferred it for me from my previous car which i traded in.
after having it a year i took it for an mot. the tester said straight away your car wont pass.I'd only just parked the car!
My plate is 3 letters followed by 3 numbers and the dealer when making up the plates had not left a significant gap between the last letter and the first number.ie ABC123 instead of ABC 123 Failed the car and had to buy new plates with the proper spaces. I wasnt happy with the dealer as he had Mot'd it when i first bought it. I never noticed the space needed and no one else had either.