Author Topic: Can anyone comment on Golf GTi/D v Scirocco Pros & Cons ?  (Read 4873 times)

Offline drisser

• I live here

I had a Scirocco demo car many years ago and really liked it but would like to hear from anyone who has run both a Scirocco and a Golf GTi / GTD back to back or owned both.  Would be very interested to know the day to day ups and downs - Obviously practicality is one, but I do like the seats in the Scirocco and the glass roof.

As my quest goes on to find a " daily driver" that doesnt bore me to tears without spending a fortune, the Scirocco has also now popped onto my radar given nearly new ones seem to be at dealers everywhere at huge discount compared to new - am seeing GT spec 13 plate cars with 10k miles on for around £17k which seems like a bargain.. I guess timing it sits between the Mk6 and 7 golf so has some of the slightly newer features..

In particular I would love to know if anyone ran a 140 TDI with DSG compared to say a Golf GT diesel or GTD.

thanks
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
Re: Can anyone comment on Golf GTi/D v Scirocco Pros & Cons ?
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2015, 14:39 »
I had a 150 tdi from the dealer as a courtesy car, nice car but its very mk6 inside, don't expect any mk7 features. Also, the MAIN reason i wouldn't ever get one is that its not mqb, so its a lot heavier than the golf equivalent.
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline Ross Detours

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2015, 15:15 »
Something to bare in mind as well is that the Scirocco is now around 8 years old and although it's had a slight facelift, it's sitting on an 8 year old chassis and using 8 year old suspension tech, etc. Whereas the MK7 golf is far more advanced and I'm sure if you get a chance to drive both, you'll feel it.

mjh_056

« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2015, 15:20 »
The GTD/GTi are on the new MQB as Graham states and that with the new tech takes the MK7 too far beyond the Scirocco for there really to be a choice.

Did have a cursory look at the Scirocco before settling for the GTD and was far too compromised on space for me personally as my 5 door GTD choice confirms, and as Graham stated the interior looks a bit dated when compare to MK7 GTD/GTi

Also, as strange as this sounds given its unique styling, its starting to look dated on the roads when see one (not seen the facelifted version) and that maybe just me but hardly give Scirocco a glance if see one.

However if you single or as a couple then think Scirocco fits that use well and its hardly going to be rubbish its still a lovely car but as the question was GTD/GTi Vs Scirroco then personally think its a no contest until VW truly bring out a next generation of Scirocco maybe.

PS: Friend used to have the original Scirocco Storm and was genuine car envy for me at the time. 

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2015, 15:27 »
R-line and above get a new fancy rear bumper which i like, plus the fancy gauges but that is the only things going for them tbh
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2015, 15:53 »
The Scirocco chassis has its routes back to 2003

Having had a mk5 and scirocco at the same time, mk6 and mk7 the difference really is the mqb

I thought the Rocco was a bit mk5.5 in terms of evolution and sort of mk6.5 these days

I always thought the Mk5 and Mk6 were better cars

Mk4 Rocco is an interesting prospect though

Offline ricchester

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2015, 16:12 »
Agree with much of what is said here.  Owned three Sciroccos from their launch date until November last year.  Lovely cars, for their time, nice looking, decent performance.  However, having owned the MK7 GTI since November, I can honestly say I don't miss the Scirocco as much as I thought I would.  The standard spec, pre-facelift on the Rocco was pretty good, but as is said in other posts, it's an older technology inside and out, interior is dated (not keen on the new gauges either), the ride (whilst still good) doesn't really compare and in terms of practicality it's beaten by the GTI for the same performance.  A MK4 around 2017 is might be an interesting proposition though ;)

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2015, 17:33 »
5 seats in the GTI/D compared to 4 in the Scirocco also rear visibility is poor in the Scirocco.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Mrs Stretts

« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2015, 18:51 »
My husband has a scirocco GTS. Whilst I enjoy driving it, as stated in previous posts my gti feels much more planted with the MQB platform.  The ROC still turns heads though.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 03 March 2015, 18:56 »
A 140TDI GT and then a 170TDI GT Scirocco prior to my GTD. I have a lot of love for my 170TDI, it felt faster than the GTD even though it isn't. The MK7 is much more refined, but that blunts the feeling of performance somewhat.

My Scirocco was more of a fun drive, but the standard equipment on the MK7 is a huge step up. The Scirocco is a bit old hat now, not so much that it looks dated, but that there are so many impersonators on the road. It was a real head turner in 2008/2009, but isn't now.

I went Scirocco from a MK5 Golf because I strongly disliked the MK6 styling - like someone had given the Golf a Japanese "smiley" makeover (the MK5 GT Sport and GTI looked so much more aggressive).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.