Author Topic: Uneven tyre wear (fronts only)  (Read 3084 times)

Offline Gingernick

• GTI forum regular
Re: Uneven tyre wear (fronts only)
« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2015, 13:43 »
noticed this last night when putting my car away..mine seem to have worn on the outer half more than the inner half..almost down to the wear indicators on the outer half of the fronts, still a couple of mm extra on the inner half..its not a great deal but it is noticeable
3dr Gti, manual, tornado red, performance pack, dynaudio. gone now

5dr GTi, manual, red, Performance pack, dynaudio
going

5dr Gti, Manual, performance pack , indium grey (for a change!)

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 21 February 2015, 00:12 »
That sounds like too much toe-in... A geometry issue

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline phil_790

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 11 March 2015, 19:28 »
Hi all,

I have recently noticed that my car seems to pull a little to the right, also checked the tread, similar story to other people, down to  below 3mm on the outside and 4mm on the inside. I suspect the geometry might be off a bit. Spoke my local dealer, they reckon £108 to set up the geometry for all 4 wheels. Waiting to hear if they will price match my local tyre place for 2 continental sport 5s. Will then get the geometry checked.

Cheers,
Phil

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #13 on: 11 March 2015, 22:06 »
Sounds like over inflation - uneven wear (stepped) is more a problem on back. Some tyres are more prone to it than others.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 12 March 2015, 07:44 »
The Pirelli P7s fitted to my Scirocco 170TDI from the factory lasted 11k miles, The inner and outer 1/3 of each front tyre were almost completely unworn (6.5mm) at that point, even though the central 1/3 was completely bald. Looks like overinflation, but I was always 2psi below the fuel flap sticker recommendations for an unladen car.

Even with only around 80mm per tyre on the fronts having a huge contact with the road, I never suffered any tramping, unlike the GTD that can't put 1/2 the power down with a full 225mm tyre width.

The Michelin PS3s that replaced the P7s wore evenly.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.