Author Topic: How To: Replace the thermostat  (Read 112982 times)

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
Re: How To: Replace the thermostat
« Reply #40 on: 23 September 2011, 20:25 »
D'oh!  :grin:

Worth mentioning, with the thermostat off you can check the coolant pump vane is still attached with a rummage around inside the block.  If it spins, its goosed.

Build thread clicky

Offline tonytoc11

• Just got here
« Reply #41 on: 24 January 2012, 18:30 »
I replaced mine but as I start filling the coolant it starts leaking out through the thermostat housing. Is it the O Ring or is there ment to be a gasket?

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #42 on: 24 January 2012, 19:30 »
I replaced mine but as I start filling the coolant it starts leaking out through the thermostat housing. Is it the O Ring or is there ment to be a gasket?

Have you put the o-ring the wrong side of the thermostat?  :undecided:

Build thread clicky

Offline tonytoc11

• Just got here
« Reply #43 on: 24 January 2012, 22:29 »

Have you put the o-ring the wrong side of the thermostat?  :undecided:

Does it go in before the thermostat or on the outside of it? Bit confusing I know

Offline km

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 26 January 2012, 14:41 »
mine leaked when i put it in the wrong way. think i ended up putting the thermostat in, and then the ring. it's been fine for a while now :)

Offline tokemk4gti.t

• Here all the time
  • 2001 gti turbo :-)
« Reply #45 on: 26 January 2012, 17:00 »
i did mine yesterday and have had to fill the coolant 3 times since!!! theres no leak but when i drive it and then have a look theres steam coming from around that housing.. refilled last night checked this mornin and coolant was in the same place.. went for a drive came back and was nearly empty again :-/ so is it stat .. then o'ring.... or as ive done o'ring then stat :-/ so dont wanna take it out again :-(

Offline Darksider1.8T

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #46 on: 26 January 2012, 19:44 »
tried do mine and rounded one of the bolts so not very happy anyone got any ideas?

Offline tokemk4gti.t

• Here all the time
  • 2001 gti turbo :-)
« Reply #47 on: 26 January 2012, 19:53 »
just to clarify boys took mine out redone in 30 mins on a drive in the cold with a frigin lead lamp as it decided to start pi***** out my nice new coolant :-( took out it is definateley thermostat in pocket o-ring over the top with a bit of silicone grease then screw housing over!! as soon as i put it in you could tell derrr all fits better as before the housing didnt seem in right alll for a bloody o-ring haha on the plus side mmmmm heat!!!!!! and mpg is quite a lot better if u drive like a fag its running 42 mpg :-D not much better when u put ure foot down :-/

Offline rotparisolev

• Just got here
« Reply #48 on: 13 January 2013, 10:54 »
Hi, my first post here...

Apologies for posting in an old thread, but was wondering if there was a diagnostics code associated with this thermostat problem?

My recently purchased 53 plate 1.8T is having very similar problems and I'm trying to work out if it's the thermostat or the cooling sensor that's at fault...

Cheers in advance!
« Last Edit: 13 January 2013, 10:56 by rotparisolev »
MKIV GTI 1.8T AUQ (180)

Offline opel

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 24 January 2013, 18:00 »
There won't be a code show up for it.