Author Topic: Burning smell coming from vents GTD  (Read 782 times)

Offline Andy11

• Just got here
Burning smell coming from vents GTD
« on: 04 January 2024, 19:15 »
Golf mk7 gtd 2015 85000 miles

Can anyone help or had similar issues?
Owned the car since August and had a new heater matrix and new coolant housing. Car has been back and forward to the garage since i owned it to the point i haven’t driven it for a full month without it something going wrong. Now i have a strong burning smell coming from the vents, no warning lights no smoke coming from engine and, drives normal. This first happened back in November when i first started the car and was defrosting the windscreen, i would get a slight but noticeable smell and wore off when car got to temperature and i put it down to the new matrix that was fitted so didn’t think much of it, now smell is strong and constant.
Took car back to arnold clark today and they cant find anything wrong but a build up of soot on the turbo, they recommend changing the turbo for a nice £2900 but cant guarantee that is the issue or that it wont lead to further issues. Ive tried looking at the auxiliary heating myself and connections look fine so dont think it is that.
« Last Edit: 04 January 2024, 20:10 by Andy11 »

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
Re: Burning smell coming from vents GTD
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2024, 16:13 »
How often does it happen? If it is every 3-400 miles it could just be a forced regen to burn the soot off the DPF which always smells bad and of burning plastic.
Do the fans carry on running once the car is switched off?
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline Andy11

• Just got here
Re: Burning smell coming from vents GTD
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2024, 21:42 »
Yeah i have noticed recently that the fans have been running after i have turned the engine off. Smell has eased alot today and someone else i know mentioned the dpf. Fingers crossed it is just that.