Author Topic: Golf R new or old?  (Read 3879 times)

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
Re: Golf R new or old?
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2019, 13:12 »
Thanks for all the info.
I’m really only interested in the car as a drivers car, I’m not really bothered by all the gimmicks.
At the dealers, a 2019 model is at least £30k, and a 2016 is about £21k.
That’s a very big difference, if the car drives pretty much the same.
The only must is a DSG, I’M getting old.
Oh and I would like leather, but it’s not a must.
I notice that the later models list a faster 0-60? I take it that’s just a gearbox tweak?

I’d probably prefer not to pay over about £21k, otherwise I’ve got to get more finance.
Although that could be option.

I might have missed something but what would be wrong with a 2017 car? You can get a facelift 7.5 R with the 7 spd DSG starting off around £22.5k which would be a much better bet than the last of the 7 for very little difference. For around £24-25k you will get something with decent miles and perhaps leather.

I don’t think the mk8 will date mine. So I couldn’t recommend  a 2017/18 Mk7.5 more. R :kiss:

I think the Mk8 will date the Mk7.5 massively - the interior is a huge change.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2019, 13:24 »
Personally I don’t rate leather - I had it in my mk7 GTD and it wore pretty quickly and became saggy in the 4 years I had the car. It also took forever to warm up in winter with the heated seats whereas cloth takes a couple of seconds.

Newer cars come with a 7 speed DSG ( I’m not sure when that changed from the 6 speed in earlier cars but someone will know ) which is great

The leather in the Golf is not the best that’s for sure, but my experience is it tends to sag in the first few months of the car, but not get noticeably worse over the following months/years.

I expect the cloth seats do heat up quicker as it’s thinner material for the heat to penetrate, but the leather gets well warmed up within 5 mins and in a few more mins is pretty hot (depending on the chosen setting).

The DSG changed to 7sp with the facelift.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 24 October 2019, 13:26 »
Thanks for all the info.
I’m really only interested in the car as a drivers car, I’m not really bothered by all the gimmicks.
I notice that the later models list a faster 0-60? I take it that’s just a gearbox tweak?

I might have missed something but what would be wrong with a 2017 car? You can get a facelift 7.5 R with the 7 spd DSG starting off around £22.5k which would be a much better bet than the last of the 7 for very little difference. For around £24-25k you will get something with decent miles and perhaps leather.

I don’t think the mk8 will date mine. So I couldn’t recommend  a 2017/18 Mk7.5 more. R :kiss:

Judging by the pics so far, I think the mk8 will make the original mk7 R look an absolute classic (in a good way)!  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 25 October 2019, 21:15 »
Thanks for all the info.

I’d probably prefer not to pay over about £21k, otherwise I’ve got to get more finance.

I think at the start you said were looking at either spending £21k or £30k hence my suggestion of getting a 7.5 facelift for around £22.5k.

If your budget is £21k then you’d best forget the 2019 option!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 26 October 2019, 18:50 »
Thanks for all the info.

I think at the start you said were looking at either spending £21k or £30k hence my suggestion of getting a 7.5 facelift for around £22.5k.

I already have an existing loan, I can pay this off on the mortgage, and I’ve got a few extra quid spare. Hence the £21k budget.
If I go for the 2019 model, I can get a new loan, but obviously that will be more money!
The point of my post was, is it really worth paying the extra? The 2016 versus the 2019 model is a huge saving, probably up to 10 grand!
If I go for 2017 plate, I’ll still have to get a new loan!
« Last Edit: 26 October 2019, 18:52 by AudiA8Quattro »
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 26 October 2019, 19:52 »
Thanks for all the info.

I already have an existing loan, I can pay this off on the mortgage, and I’ve got a few extra quid spare. Hence the £21k budget.
If I go for the 2019 model, I can get a new loan, but obviously that will be more money!
The point of my post was, is it really worth paying the extra? The 2016 versus the 2019 model is a huge saving, probably up to 10 grand!

Yes, that’s why the suggestion of the facelift model for around £22-23k. You’ll get the newer model with most of the extra kit without spending nearly £10k. Simple.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 26 October 2019, 21:08 »
Thanks for all the info.

Yes, that’s why the suggestion of the facelift model for around £22-23k. You’ll get the newer model with most of the extra kit without spending nearly £10k. Simple.

Not so simple, anything over £21k, I need new finance.
There doesn’t seem to be many 2017 plates about, they mainly seem to be 15/16 and 19 plates for sale.
Also the 2017 plates seem to be nearer to £25k, unless I get a manual, which I don’t want.
I found a 2019 plate for £29k in Camberley, why are the prices so different? Is this just down to the equipment levels?
I am tempted to extend the finance and go for 2019, £29k sounds like a steal!

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict