Author Topic: MK 7.5 Gone, good opportunity for someone?  (Read 3329 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: MK 7.5 Gone, good opportunity for someone?
« Reply #10 on: 21 October 2019, 17:42 »
If you don't get the Mini until December, that leaves plenty of time to sell it privately for perhaps more money. I can't see the dealer being too bothered about that, as they will be unlikely to retail your Golf.
Depends if the VW Dealer's Franchise owner have a Mini dealer in it's group.

For example; Sytner, Lookers and Inchape all do.

When I bought my Golf, I p/x'd my Range Rover Sport and got a better p/x price than any other VW dealer in my area purely because the dealer I bought it from have a Land Rover Dealer in the group who would take it into stock.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 21 October 2019, 22:41 »
Unfortunately I was going to replace it with a run out model but was dissuaded by my local dealers new salesman. He thought I should wait for the new car to be launched,which I'm not sure I even like the look of so I ended up looking at the Mini dealers round the corner. The upshot is I have now left the VW fold and put a deposit on a new Mini JCW with delivery hopefully in December. I actually got a better price for the Golf at another non VW dealers, which meant I got a cracking deal on the Mini. Until then I have the choice of two 1999 Rover 620Tis as my daily driver, although not as quick as the Golf they can still surprise people, as they really don't look like a 200bhp machine.
The only annoying part is that the VW roadside assistance, which I renewed in June is non-refundable but is transferable to a new owner. So if someone on here does look at buying it and contacts me I would be more than willing to transfer it over for a small fee.

To be honest the local VW dealer’s salesman was probably the last person to listen to.
You need to do your own research and form your own educated opinions.
I’m sure the mk8 will have plenty of tricks up its sleeve but the mk7(.5) is a very good package even against much newer opposition and was never a troublesome car so the runout cars are very well developed and specced with good discounts.

Is it a 3 door JCW Mini you’ve gone for or one of the bigger models?
With changes in circumstances at home meaning I rarely carry passengers now and with a rural commute the 3 door hatch JCW is on my radar as a possible replacement for my Clubsport.
It’s driving dynamics would suit my uses perfectly.
But then again I have quite a big list of possible replacements!
I’d be keen to hear how you get on with the JCW.

I’ve found myself in the past that non-VW franchise dealers have offered better p/x prices than VW dealers. I guess the latter get a bit complacent at times. It varies from dealer to dealer though.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 22 October 2019, 02:21 »

I’ve found myself in the past that non-VW franchise dealers have offered better p/x prices than VW dealers. I guess the latter get a bit complacent at times. It varies from dealer to dealer though.

I assume this is because the non-VW franchise are gaining a new customer for servicing (where they make the most profit)?  Compared to being an existing customer at VW, hence no increase in servicing revenue if they sell you a new car.  But I could be wrong.  I usually am!
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 22 October 2019, 09:25 »

I assume this is because the non-VW franchise are gaining a new customer for servicing (where they make the most profit)?  Compared to being an existing customer at VW, hence no increase in servicing revenue if they sell you a new car.  But I could be wrong.  I usually am!

The difference would negate any servicing profits. In the UK at least it’s down to who is underwriting the p/x, a non-franchised dealer will go at top book price if they can get the vehicle underwritten in the trade where a franchised dealer might assess the vehicle purely as forecourt stock and confidence in what profit they’d make from it. It varies massively by dealership as does the level of discount on the new vehicle.
At the end of the day it’s purely “cost to change” that matters which means it can be financially beneficial to change marques or stay with the same one depending on which way the wind is blowing!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline 620ti

• Just got here
« Reply #14 on: 22 October 2019, 12:08 »
If you don't get the Mini until December, that leaves plenty of time to sell it privately for perhaps more money. I can't see the dealer being too bothered about that, as they will be unlikely to retail your Golf.
I've sold the Golf to an unrelated dealer but as I've said there was some outstanding finance on the car and they settled that and paid me the equity.

Offline 620ti

• Just got here
« Reply #15 on: 22 October 2019, 12:40 »
Unfortunately I was going to replace it with a run out model but was dissuaded by my local dealers new salesman. He thought I should wait for the new car to be launched,which I'm not sure I even like the look of so I ended up looking at the Mini dealers round the corner. The upshot is I have now left the VW fold and put a deposit on a new Mini JCW with delivery hopefully in December. I actually got a better price for the Golf at another non VW dealers, which meant I got a cracking deal on the Mini. Until then I have the choice of two 1999 Rover 620Tis as my daily driver, although not as quick as the Golf they can still surprise people, as they really don't look like a 200bhp machine.
The only annoying part is that the VW roadside assistance, which I renewed in June is non-refundable but is transferable to a new owner. So if someone on here does look at buying it and contacts me I would be more than willing to transfer it over for a small fee.

To be honest the local VW dealer’s salesman was probably the last person to listen to.
I’m sure the mk8 will have plenty of tricks up its sleeve but the mk7(.5) is a very good package even against much newer opposition and was never a troublesome car so the runout cars are very well developed and specced with good discounts.

With changes in circumstances at home meaning I rarely carry passengers now and with a rural commute the 3 door hatch JCW is on my radar as a possible replacement for my Clubsport.

I only wanted to see what the run out 7.5 had on offer compared to my 17 plate 7.5 as thought it might be a good deal. I was very impressed with mine as it was, but it was a standard spec, although it did have front fog lights unlike some of the early 7.5s.

It is a 3dr JCW, which is plenty big enough for my Wife and I now both of our kids are driving and have their own car. Although, they did come with us for the test drive and all four of us fitted in without being uncomfortable. I would recommend having a test drive it is a really fun car to drive with performance and handling easily on a par with my Golf GTI. I used CarWow and my own internet research to get some good prices with dealers in other parts of the country, went to the local dealer who wanted the sale and matched the cheapest.
I'm looking at early December for delivery of the Mini, but will let you know how it goes.
« Last Edit: 22 October 2019, 12:42 by 620ti »

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 22 October 2019, 13:00 »

I only wanted to see what the run out 7.5 had on offer compared to my 17 plate 7.5 as thought it might be a good deal. I was very impressed with mine as it was, but it was a standard spec, although it did have front fog lights unlike some of the early 7.5s.

It is a 3dr JCW, which is plenty big enough for my Wife and I now both of our kids are driving and have their own car. Although, they did come with us for the test drive and all four of us fitted in without being uncomfortable. I would recommend having a test drive it is a really fun car to drive with performance and handling easily on a par with my Golf GTI. I used CarWow and my own internet research to get some good prices with dealers in other parts of the country, went to the local dealer who wanted the sale and matched the cheapest.
I'm looking at early December for delivery of the Mini, but will let you know how it goes.

Just throw it in go kart mode and leave it there  :laugh:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 23 October 2019, 00:00 »

MINI & BMW do actually have sensible lead times, a novelty coming from VW’s.

I do have a bit of experience of MINIs but never tried the JCW... yet!

Interesting what you say about Carwow and local dealers, with VW’s I’ve found brokers give the best headline discount yet a few recent searches of BMW & MINI deals Carwow threw up better prices.
Same for getting a deal on an Ibiza for my son early last year, Carwow easily beat the brokers. Good to have the options.

What made you decide to get shot of the GTI, even if it was originally most likely going to be another GTI to replace it? Did you consider a TCR?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline 620ti

• Just got here
« Reply #18 on: 23 October 2019, 12:45 »
I tend to only keep cars for a couple of years, I loved the Golf but was open to trying something different, it just happened that I'd been impressed by the overall design, driving experience and build quality of the Kids 60 plate Mini and called in at the Mini dealers after the visit to VW.
Funnily enough the VW dealers had a TCR in the showroom, it certainly looked the business, although I think the price tag was a bit off putting!!
The only down side with Mini is they don't have the tracker like VW so I have no way to check it's build progress, apart from contact with the saleswoman at Mini.