Author Topic: New mk7 PP owner  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Bungle009

• Just got here
New mk7 PP owner
« on: 07 December 2016, 11:01 »
Hi,
Just taken delivery of a 2013/63 Gti with a few options.  It was a good spec (leather, sunroof, manual, 18's,(didn't want 19's without DCC) 5 dr) just didn't have the DCC or NAV, but overall I am very happy.
I'm looking for a stg 1 map. 
My priorities are not max power, but progressive smooth delivery, just stronger overall.  Would also like ESC override (like the R) and sharper throttle response.  Is there a Map which can do these 3 things?
And last question, can I remove the ICE unit and replace with a NAV version ?
Thanks,
Bungle

« Last Edit: 07 December 2016, 11:07 by Bungle009 »

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: New mk7 PP owner
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2016, 11:35 »
Welcome Bungle  :smiley:

A nice choice of car, not that we're biased around here or anything...

First mod I'd recommend immediately would be a DTUK Pedalbox which will make the car far more responsive and even the standard power output feels loads stronger with one of these fitted.
A difficult mod to explain to a sceptic but it just works, and works very well too. A must have in my book.
There's a dead inch or so of throttle pedal travel that this unit eliminates, not even a remap with revised throttle mapping can get around this due to the electronics in the pedal itself. The Pedalbox along with a remap or tuning box absolutely transforms the car.

Next up, remap wise you have plenty of choice. You're out of factory warranty now, give or take, otherwise I'd recommend a JB1 tuning box for its adjustability to alter the mapping.
REVO or APR are the immediate names that spring to mind that would come highly recommended. I'd go with either depending on the proximity and reputation of the nearest dealer.
If it's a manual gearbox then don't go too mad with the torque, the clutches on these cars aren't renowned for their ability to take much more torque than standard.

I've no idea on the ESC switch out but have a search over on golfmk7.com as the Americans like to experiment with these things and if it can be done via VCDS then someone will have figured it by now!

As for the nav unit. That's a bit of a minefield. You can get an add in dealer fit (you can buy them on eBay and self fit easily) kenwood Garmin module that will work with your existing head unit screen but you can't easily upgrade from the standard media system to a factory nav head unit. VW lock the unit to the car as there were literally thousands and thousands of previous generation nav units stolen as it was a popular retrofit in mk5 and mk6 Golfs; with the mk7 they've made it much more difficult to upgrade. Google "component protection" or search on here. 
You can also get aftermarket units for the mk7 but they're £££.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline buddfridge

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2016, 11:41 »
Welcome, yeah as said a pedal box will bring the car to life.
gti pp manual white 5 door

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2016, 16:27 »
Try the pedalbox first you'll be really surprised. As for sat nav i was quoted £500 for a vw software update that will use your original unit and i think the media button doubles up to engage the sat nav.
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline Tornado8

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2016, 19:16 »
+1 on pedal box( have fun tinkering with the settings :grin:) plus Revo would be an excellent choice :smiley:
Old, but a serial modder!

Offline Margy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2016, 19:58 »
Congrats Bungle! I've been scouring down south for a similar spec! Is it a Das Welt Auto car?
Tornado red PP, Santiagos, DCC, winter pack.

Offline Bungle009

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 07 December 2016, 22:19 »
No.  I bought it from a dealer in Scotland.  Flight was £45 with BA.  It had been px'd against a brand new BMW.

Offline Margy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2016, 07:40 »
Wow...nice drive back?
Tornado red PP, Santiagos, DCC, winter pack.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2016, 08:09 »
Welcome.  :smiley:

To resolve the throttle response issue, as Exonian suggests, get yourself a DTUK pedal box which will eliminate that initial dead inch of throttle travel, it does transform the car.  I drove my R for first few months and the sluggish throttle response really started to grate and spoil an otherwise fantastic car, but got a pedal box and 15 mins fitting and car was transformed.  I turned it off when it went in for service and forgot to turn it back on and it was like driving through treacle.  Its highly customisable with lots of settings.  There is a discount code which knocks £20 off the online price RF80.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Bungle009

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 08 December 2016, 10:12 »
So just about to order the pedal box, and I see a combo deal for a tuning box for about £560 all in.  Is anyone using this, and what are the views please ?  Temptation is getting the better of me .......