Author Topic: Help! GTI PP on order- Now VW has CO2 issues  (Read 3498 times)

Offline rofno1

• Just got here
Help! GTI PP on order- Now VW has CO2 issues
« on: 25 November 2015, 11:30 »
Hi All,

I ordered a GTI PP last October, due for delivery here in Ireland first week in Jan. Happy days! Its due to ship next week form Works.

However, I now see CO2 emissions on petrol engines is now an issue for VW. Looking VW.de, it stated that engine code MQ350‐6F is affected but stated that this is the 220hp variant. But I can't find out anywhere the engine code for the 230 variant. Any ideas? Dealer is checking out issue.

Now I'm in a bit of a quandary. Do I stick with it hoping I don't take greater hit when selling or cancel?

Anybody else in similar position? :sad:

Offline kodirl

• Not said much yet
Re: Help! GTI PP on order- Now VW has CO2 issues
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2015, 13:25 »
Hi Rofno.

Congrats on your purchase.I am in the exact position you are in.I have also placed an order in late October for a 161 GTI PP here in Ireland. I haven't contacted my dealer yet as. I have a deposit down on the car and wil be paying the remaining balance upon collection in January. Surely we are not obliged to accept the cars if the C02 is higher than quoted by VW in October -as this was post emissions scandal.

What colour/spec did you go for?

James

Offline rofno1

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2015, 13:50 »
Congrats to you too! Went with carbon grey, tech & service packs. What have you gone for?

I'm in same position as you with deposit. We are well within our rights to refuse the cars as they do not match the description given by the retailer or in any advertisement.

I'm concerned about resale & the tax hike. Also, will a software update cure cause power reduction?

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2015, 13:59 »
It's the same engine with a map tweak for the extra BHP
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline dipstick

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2015, 16:14 »
I'm in the same boat with a non-performance pack GTI, also ordered in October but for delivery in late-Jan or February. This is the first I've seen of the engine being affected by the scandal, can you please post a link?

I am concerned because, with existing models, tax would not be affected. However in this instance the tax will be higher than I would have been expecting upon first registration, and now the worries about resale values apply to not only the diesel owners but the petrol ones too.

Any links before I get onto my dealer would be appreciated...!
'16 Golf GTI 5dr Carbon Steel Grey
Dynaudio, Nav Pro, DCC

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2015, 16:19 »
I'm in the same boat with a non-performance pack GTI, also ordered in October but for delivery in late-Jan or February. This is the first I've seen of the engine being affected by the scandal, can you please post a link?

I am concerned because, with existing models, tax would not be affected. However in this instance the tax will be higher than I would have been expecting upon first registration, and now the worries about resale values apply to not only the diesel owners but the petrol ones too.

http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/vwcorp/info_center/de/news/2015/11/CO2.bin.html/downloadfilelist/downloadfile/downloadfile_0/file/%C3%9Cbersicht+kritischer+CO2-Fahrzeuge+Modelljahr+2016.pdf
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline dipstick

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2015, 16:22 »
Thanks matchboy.
I'll be interested to find out what the net difference in co2 emissions is and what will be done between now and delivery... I'll post back if I hear more from my dealer.
'16 Golf GTI 5dr Carbon Steel Grey
Dynaudio, Nav Pro, DCC

Offline rofno1

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2015, 16:50 »

https://www.volkswagen-media-services.com/documents/10541/2886899/List_of_critical_CO2_vehicles_model_year_2016.pdf

I'll let you know the outcomes/options presented to me after I talk to dealer here too.

One side of me says just go for it & enjoy the car. Worse case scenario is VW go under & we have the last of the GTIs. Other side says don't blow € 10,000s on a car that will always be linked to the time VW lied about their engines. What else might turn up in in next 6 months?

Offline Bungleaio

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 25 November 2015, 17:44 »
My gti pp went into production they day the whole saga with the diesels went public and I saw that the petrols are maybe affected a couple of weeks ago. I will have had the car 5 weeks in total tomorrow.

The car is utterly fantastic and really is a fabulous all rounder (this is my 1st gti) but I really don't like all this talk about issues with vw. This is the first ever car I've bought brand new and I was expecting to take a fair hit in depreciation but this is probably going to have a massive effect on prices.

That said I'm planning on keeping the car for at least 5 years so it should all have blown over by then but who knows. I'm just going to enjoy my car for now.

If I had a car on order then it takes a while to get delivered so hopefully they will have clarified matters by then so I would just sit tight and see what happens.

If they propose to reduce performance to get the co2 down then they will have a massive issue on their hands.
Abarth 595 Turismo + Classic Mini + Triumph Street Triple RS
Did have 3door DBP GTI PP

Offline deco

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2015, 21:47 »
I have a brand new vw caddy 4 65 plate new shape and took delivery beginning of September as soon as it hit British shores. I have heard today that the 2.0 tdi version will get a simple software update and the 1.6 tdi will be fitted with a transformer. Performance and MPG will not be affected. Personally i think its a storm in a tea cup. When you see the love for VW in the amount of vw and Audis on the road i think it will be forgotten about in 6 months. Remember the Toyota scandal and what about the Zafiras dashboards catching fire. I might not take my van in to recall as the MPG is fantastic.