Author Topic: discover pro retrofit  (Read 4802 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: discover pro retrofit
« Reply #10 on: 23 April 2015, 13:55 »
At least they are consistent in their refusal to accommodate retro fit!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 23 April 2015, 18:16 »
That's why all the people not ordering the big screen and thinking it can be retro fitted are in for a shock. It's nothing like previous vw's where you could just unplug the head unit and plug another one in with a bit of vcds coding. Might seem like it's expensive as an option but it's the first thing I ticked on mine.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2015, 11:56 »
That's why all the people not ordering the big screen and thinking it can be retro fitted are in for a shock. It's nothing like previous vw's where you could just unplug the head unit and plug another one in with a bit of vcds coding. Might seem like it's expensive as an option but it's the first thing I ticked on mine.

Looking back, I wish I'd ticked the 'standard' nav (couldn't justify £1700 on the pro) - luckily VW have now brought out the retrofit nav, so that's where £600 of my money is going!
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 25 June 2015, 20:50 »
I was looking at the Kufatec website earlier for something else, and saw this dongle

https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/volkswagen/golf/golf-7-5q/module-navigation-discover-pro

Specific module to enable the navigation function of the "Discover Pro" if this is locked (for example after retrofit or update).
The navigation can be used without an official activation through our module and a trick.
No restriction on the navigation function if enabled.

I wonder if this is the missing link for unlocking maps that you are all looking for, combined with the component protection removal

The German text in the 1st pic translates as

The navigation data in the Infotainment System are not valid. Please check data.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2015, 20:52 by phope »
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 26 June 2015, 10:12 »
Interesting but at the bottom:

Note •No navigation display in the combined instrument

They mean the MFD.

Which is weird, but a bit of a bummer.

Then again, I don't think any of the retro fit units display in the MFD either.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 26 June 2015, 11:16 »
I think the fact dealers are having to reorder cars when they forget to spec it in the first place speaks volumes.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Suklpm

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 26 June 2015, 13:03 »
So what happens if it develops a fault and has to be replaced?
GTI PP DSG 3 door, Limestone Grey, keyless entry, Discover satnav

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 26 June 2015, 13:09 »
I could be wrong here, but I was told it's not normally an issue (although far from easy) to replace like for like i.e. if you already have Pro Nav or Discover Navigation and it breaks, a new system can be fitted and Germany will allow the new serial number of the unit to be registered to the chassis, but if you don't have Nav (or are tying to uplift the spec - say by going to Pro nav from standard), then it won't be allowed.

At least that's what my dealer told me a while ago.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 26 June 2015, 13:10 »
Interesting but at the bottom:

Note •No navigation display in the combined instrument

They mean the MFD.

Which is weird, but a bit of a bummer.

Then again, I don't think any of the retro fit units display in the MFD either.

To be fair the information in the MFD isn't brilliant, and looking at the screen isn't much hassle.