Author Topic: First outing with ACC  (Read 3875 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
First outing with ACC
« on: 24 June 2014, 14:37 »
I used the adaptive cruise control the other day going from Liverpool back to Glasgow and must say I was really surprised at how well it works. Only downside was if I was travelling in the inside lane say with my cruise set at 70 but car was doing 65. So if the car I was following pulled out to overtake, my car would speed up alongside him but apart from that it was great.
I even let the ACC slow me right down to nearly stopped (I have a manual) then take me back up again.
On DSG cars does the ACC take you to a standstill. So in theory you wouldnt need to use any of the pedals at all?
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline mrzen

• Not said much yet
Re: First outing with ACC
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2014, 14:45 »
Yes it does, and then takes you off again when the car in front moves, but if the engine stops (start stop) it will start the engine for you when the car in front moves, but weirdly you need to dab the accelerator to get you going again...
Current
2014 GTI, PP, DSG, 5 door, Nav, Tungsten Silver
2009 Audi A4 2.0 TDI Estate

Previous
2008 Audi A3 Sportback S-line 170 TDI DSG/Stronic
2004 VW Golf V 2.0 TDI 140 Manual
1999 BMW 325i M-Sport

Offline FNJ-GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2014, 15:15 »
Hi, I Love the ACC and yes with the DSG it will come to a complete stop. Then if the traffic ahead moves within about 3 seconds it will automatically set off, if you've been stopped for more than 3 seconds you have to either touch the accelerator pedal OR press the RES button. Its great, use it every morning in the M25 commuter battle to work.

Offline mrzen

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2014, 15:17 »
Hi, I Love the ACC and yes with the DSG it will come to a complete stop. Then if the traffic ahead moves within about 3 seconds it will automatically set off, if you've been stopped for more than 3 seconds you have to either touch the accelerator pedal OR press the RES button. Its great, use it every morning in the M25 commuter battle to work.

ahhh....
Current

Previous
1999 BMW 325i M-Sport

mjh_056

« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2014, 16:58 »
I used the adaptive cruise control the other day going from Liverpool back to Glasgow and must say I was really surprised at how well it works. Only downside was if I was travelling in the inside lane say with my cruise set at 70 but car was doing 65. So if the car I was following pulled out to overtake, my car would speed up alongside him but apart from that it was great.
I even let the ACC slow me right down to nearly stopped (I have a manual) then take me back up again.
On DSG cars does the ACC take you to a standstill. So in theory you wouldnt need to use any of the pedals at all?

ACC works great, use it on long stretches of even traffic and particularly useful in average speed restrictions

One little tip is to not use in comfort as ACC is set to Eco and pick up is a little slow or so seems - tend to use individual with DCC set to comfort and ACC set to Sport and seems to respond to traffic quicker.

Offline gazmondo35

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2014, 18:38 »
Acc is great & I use it all the time especially on the motorway, but I do find it leaves a to big of gap to the car in front, which annoys another drivers to the point they start undertaking me.
Mk7 golf R DBP
MK7 golf gti pp red (sold)

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2014, 21:21 »
i popped my cherry using this on the M25 and what a revaluation especially with DSG, did the same journey in a manual without it and was so wishing i was in the other car

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2014, 23:00 »
I use ACC all the time, probably too much, but I love it. Yes it has a few annoying quirks such as leaving too much space between the car in front sometimes, occasionally forgets to break and slams on a bit strong, pick up is a little slow in ECO mode, but on the whole it's a great system especially for lazy driving and in super heavy traffic. Coupled with DSG the car practically drives its self.

Still can't believe its standard across the entire Golf range.
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2014, 23:06 »
I use ACC all the time, probably too much, but I love it. Yes it has a few annoying quirks such as leaving too much space between the car in front sometimes, occasionally forgets to break and slams on a bit strong, pick up is a little slow in ECO mode, but on the whole it's a great system especially for lazy driving and in super heavy traffic. Coupled with DSG the car practically drives its self.

Still can't believe its standard across the entire Golf range.

I don't believe it is standard across the full range

Offline mrzen

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2014, 23:19 »
One thing to watch out for is stealth vehicles - ones with sharp angled rear ends with few rounded corners - mine had trouble spotting the back end of an empty car transporter and accelerated towards it.. I also reckon a Lamborghini aventador might evade the radar!
Current

Previous
1999 BMW 325i M-Sport