Author Topic: New Shoes...  (Read 6543 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
New Shoes...
« on: 22 June 2014, 13:34 »
I'd been rocking the BBS CK's for a few years now, first on the mk6 then the mk7 for a while but had been fancying a change.
The trouble was the mk7 is such a fussy car when it comes to alloy wheels with all the straight edges to the styling of the car.
After thinking long and hard for many months I finally settled on a set of Rondell 02RZ which I ordered from Germany.

I wanted an OEM style wheel from a half decent manufacturer which meant something German ideally (half decent manufacture and TUV approval).
BBS SR's in the half polished finish were considered but in the end rejected on cost and the fact they're 8.5 inch wide which means the rim protection from the 235 tyres will be null and void. I do try and avoid kerbs but there's always the odd manoeuvre with an unexpected close encounter!!!! When you have 35 profile tyres kerbs bring you out in a cold sweat!

I doubt they'll be a popular choice here which is quite good really as I like to have something a bit unusual.
I personally like the style of the wheel as it sort of reminds me of a hybrid of the Santiagos and my old favourites the Charleston Shadow.
With the sharp lines it matches the car styling well.

And yes, they have polished faces so yes, i do know that much misery awaits sooner or later!!!

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: New Shoes...
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2014, 14:03 »
Looks very OEM. Nice
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2014, 14:15 »
Thanks  :smiley:

One from the front a bit more
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2014, 14:20 »
They look excellent Mr Ex.  :cool:

And at least you know the future heartache that lies ahead with prima donna diamond cut alloys  :wink:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2014, 14:26 »
Why thank you Mademoiselle B, and yes, my optimism for the paint finish lasting is sadly 'glass half empty' - but that the hell!!!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2014, 15:20 »
Looking good, a decent alternative for those who wish they'd ordered the Santiagos.

Quite tempted by them myself :)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2014, 16:53 »
Thanks dude.

Swings and roundabouts a bit vs the Santiagos - the Rondells have a matt not gloss finish to the black which is going to hold the brake dust (a satin finish would have been much better as the gloss on the Santis scratches and shows the marks badly too).
They don't have the annoying ridge that the Santis and Austins have nor do they have those annoying hard to clean mini spokes and they fill the arches better being a bit wider. However the Rondells won't hold a genuine VW centre cap.
The cap from the Austins is too small and the cap from Monza Shadows is fractionally too big!!! I'd previously assumed the Monzas and Austins would have the same size centre cap but alas not.
Oh, and the VW nut covers don't fit in the holes either so I'm using slightly smaller SEAT ones like I had to with the BBS's.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2014, 20:58 »
Smart  :cool:

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2014, 22:12 »
nice rimmage i actually prefer them to the BBS and not very often you say that

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 23 June 2014, 08:22 »
Think they look spot on mate, as others have said, they look like an OEM wheel.

Are they 19"?