Author Topic: New person with Pre-purchase Questions  (Read 3199 times)

Jackie Treehorn

New person with Pre-purchase Questions
« on: 16 June 2014, 20:27 »
Hi

Been hovering for a few weeks reading through all the posts and the mammoth 220 pages of new arrival pictures :smiley:

Looking to buy a new white GTI 3 door with PP and Dynaudio.  It has been a long time since I have had a GTI, 15 years since my Mk2 and 6 years since Mk1

Any help from the experienced is more than welcome.  I've come from Audi, Porsche, and BMW audio systems in the last 3 cars.  Audi very good for standard stereo I thought, Porsche was Bose 10 speaker and sounded pretty good to my ears. BMW 1 series the worst I have ever experienced, truly shocking system without any tweeters at all, and it wasn't the base system!

1: Based on the kind of cars I have had what do you think the performance of the Dynaudio system is, and is it worth the £500?

2: The price I have been quoted from a Dealer is £25358 for the above spec GTI. Is this a good deal or is there better out there from your experience at Dealers?

3:  The dealer will give me a price for my car, but if i don't trade it in now, they will knock £225- £250 off each month until my car arrives (Sept allegedly).   I can't believe my car depreciates that quickly (2010 123d 1 Series).  I have tried 2 dealers now from different groups and they both said similar.   Is this normal?

4: I am going light on options i know, but none of the other options seem something i really want.  I do track days occasionally and intend on keeping the car 10 years, so PP and Dynaudio seem sensible,  and no nav as the screen would prob look like an 87 Atari by then. 

Any thoughts are more than welcome.  :smiley:

« Last Edit: 16 June 2014, 20:42 by Jackie Treehorn »

Offline Suklpm

• Not said much yet
Re: New person with Pre-purchase Questions
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2014, 20:38 »
Keyless = cheap and great, wouldn't be without it....
GTI PP DSG 3 door, Limestone Grey, keyless entry, Discover satnav

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2014, 20:41 »
What is the percentage discount? Aim for around 10% or over and you won't be far away.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Jackie Treehorn

« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2014, 20:48 »
Discount is 6.5%, do you think I should be able to get 10% from the dealer? They really didn't want to budge past that figure, either of them.  I guess i'm not good enough at haggling

Looked at the keyless, It does look pretty impressive.

modified as i was being a idiot it is 10% 
« Last Edit: 22 June 2014, 06:43 by Jackie Treehorn »

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2014, 21:17 »
On the trade in front I was given an agreed price on the trade in regardless of when I took delivery of the vehicle. I'd push for a similar thing, especially if there isn't a car ready straight away for you.

Jackie Treehorn

« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2014, 22:01 »
Interesting...

As i say its not something i have heard of. But not really ever traded a car at a dealers, so i thought it must be normal when 2 dealers said the same.

lol i thought i was doing pretty well getting what i had until i asked  :grin:

andygou

« Reply #6 on: 16 June 2014, 22:49 »
suggest looking at Drive the Deal, they have been offering about 12% discount and excellent service, speaking from personal experience.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 16 June 2014, 22:51 »
I've came from an Audi that had the Audi Sound System upgrade to the Golf with DynAudio. All I can say is the DynAudio is fantastic in comparison. Crystal clear with a full sound.  I know some others have been saying they don't think its worth the upgrade. Well the standard system must be the dogs danglies if its anywhere near the DynAudio
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline 914Phil

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 16 June 2014, 23:06 »
Hi I have the Dynaudio and it's excellent, very clear and good for a variety of uses (music or speech). It's really hard to make a true comparison with stock as it's so subjective but I'm pleased with it and if I was speccing from new (mine was an ex demo) I'd tick the box.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2014, 05:21 »
I can't advise on the Dynaudio as I didn't spec it having been unimpressed with the set up in my mk6 (which might have just been down to me not setting it up properly) BUT mk7 owners report a vast improvement so if you're keeping the car long term you'd best tick that box as regret is not something you want. The £500 or whatever will easily be swallowed up in five to ten years if that is indeed how long you keep the car.

I went light on the options as I have a terrible habit of changing every 18 months to 2 years and looking at my mk6 history taught me a lesson I won't forget in a hurry.
Both my mk6's were bought used but only a few months old. The first I specced really lightly and lost very little money. The second would have cost £32k new due to all the extras and brought in £16k at two and a half years old!!! OUCH! Glad I bought it at a really big saving but I still lost a lot of money.

So I was a bit wary with the mk7. Just the cheapo options ticked aside from the basic nav which is still expensive for what it offers above the standard radio system. I ticked that box for the convenience of the nav (which I hardly use) and the fact that in a couple of years it will be something a buyer will look for so might add a little to the value but will certainly make it easier to sell. However, if in your position of keeping the car long term I'd not bother, you sum it up pretty well.
As above there, keyless is probably something that will be standard in a few years so maybe worth speccing. I didn't bother as it doesn't appeal to me, my dad has it in his crappy Nissan and it's not without inconveniences in itself at times.
DCC  might be useful but again, long term there's lots to go wrong!

And to the all important £££££ bit.

Lots of the best deals on here are from brokers that will mean you have to sell your car privately. So if you have time and patience and a bit of luck it's win win for you there. Better return on your old car and an easy 10% plus.

If you're using a local dealer then the convenience is worth a few quid, but more importantly if they're giving you top book price on your car then I think there's only so much room they have in the deal (buying from retail dept not fleet with no p/x as brokers tend to deal with).
https://www.capconnect.co.uk/ConsumerValues/Ford.aspx?DB=CAR&CH=PWRTZ&New=1 is a good site to check the trade value of your part ex.
This is the guide your dealer will use in a slightly more advanced form and CAP who run that price guide do the forecasts your dealer will use for potential depreciation on the part ex hence their estimate of £200 a month or so (which gets less as the car gets older and is just a GUIDE).
If you're not 100% on the deal your dealer gives you it only takes an hour or so of ringing around a few dealers people mention on here with the bigger discounts to see what they can do for you.
Some of it timing, some luck and some through being a persistent negotiator!!!
If you're planning a long term relationship with the car and dealer that's worth a bit of money to you and to them so just see and push for the best you can get without souring either them or you.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner