Author Topic: 18" Austin Wheels  (Read 5890 times)

Offline ChrisJL

• GTI forum regular
18" Austin Wheels
« on: 05 June 2014, 15:17 »
Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong page to ask on. But has anyone / does anyone know where it may be possible to get another original Mk7 Golf GTI Wheel?

Would rather a full replacement wheel, rather than a space saver and would also be used should a wheel need repair, I could just hot swap the other spare wheel.

I've scowered the net (although perhaps not well enough) and I've seen what looks like the wheel. But when reading the finer details, the wheels I've seen listed online state they're 8" (width wise) but from what I've read, the wheels delivered on the car are "7.5 so I'm not entirely sure if they're the right ones or not.

Hoping someone with a bit more knowledge may be able to help me?
Collected 10/09/2013: Mk 7 Golf GTI. 3 Door Manual. Tornado Red. Performance Pack. Adaptive Chassis. Winter Pack. Life Shine Protection.

Offline AndyG

• Here all the time
Re: 18" Austin Wheels
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2014, 15:32 »
The main dealers will get a wheel for you at a price,then you'll need a tyre probably not much change from£500.This wheel though will be too big to go in place of the space saver.Are you planning carrying it around with you in the boot?
Golf 7R,DSG,5 door White,leather,rear camera.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 05 June 2014, 16:40 »
The main dealers will get a wheel for you at a price,then you'll need a tyre probably not much change from£500.This wheel though will be too big to go in place of the space saver.Are you planning carrying it around with you in the boot?

Agreed!

Best bet would be to get any old second hand 18" VW wheel (Monza Shadow or an Audi/SEAT/Skoda wheel in the same fitment) if it's just going to be a spare. You can pick them up quite cheap if you're patient complete with a good tyre and your VW centre cap will fit most of 'em.
So long as it's 7.5 x 18 with an ET of between 51 and 49mm it would be better as a short term solution than a space saver.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline ChrisJL

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 05 June 2014, 17:48 »
Hmm if the full thing won't fit in the boot I may just get one to keep in the garage in case I ever curb and then do as you say and look for a nice one just to carry around in case I get an issue out on the road and need a swap.

The dealer surely won't sell a single wheel would they? I've known people before ask that and get told its a set of 4 or nothing?
Collected 10/09/2013: Mk 7 Golf GTI. 3 Door Manual. Tornado Red. Performance Pack. Adaptive Chassis. Winter Pack. Life Shine Protection.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 05 June 2014, 18:38 »
Of course you can buy a single wheel, it's a replacement part. If you needed a new door handle, you wouldn't have to buy a set of 4.

I bought a new Vancouver for mine. The dealers wanted getting on for £500 for it to begin with, but a friendly salesman pulled a few strings got it for a lot less for me.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 05 June 2014, 20:49 »
I have already looked in to the likely hood of getting a spare Austin wheel (original) on previous threads on this forum.  Have a look to see if you can find it, there maybe some interesting info for you regarding the options to getting a spare Austin Wheel. 

If I can remember correctly the cost of a new Austin from the dealer was about £640 without a tyre. To get a whole set of 4 it was just shy of £2K with the 15% reduction taken out.  This was yet again without tyres.  I agree with Exonian get a Second Hand Austin and have it refurbished.  Will be as good as new as long as the wheel was not too badly damaged to start with.  I think to get a refurb is under £100.

I also looked in to having a full size wheel as a Spare and someone wisely pointed out on this forum that the weight of the wheel may degrade performance if carried in your boot all the time.  When I took one off to put C5 Wheel Armour on recently I was surprised how heavy these things really are.  I would rather carry my wife than an Austin Wheel again :laugh:   

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2014, 22:14 »
The dealer surely won't sell a single wheel would they? I've known people before ask that and get told its a set of 4 or nothing?

Whoever told you that are away pissing themselves laughing mate. Of course you can buy a single wheel.
Like Dubber I bought a single Vancouver alloy from the dealer I bought the car from. They gave me 20% off there and then without even asking. Although when I phoned other dealers for prices I was automatically told the price minus 20%

In fact if you look at the VW accessories you'll see alloy wheels priced individually

There was an Austin here for sale http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=265255.0

« Last Edit: 05 June 2014, 22:27 by p3asa »
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline ChrisJL

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2014, 13:53 »
Thank you for the helpful information everyone :)

Once I found dealer would be fine, I knew I'd pay through the nose but I know I'm getting the right wheel, as online theres loads of 18" by 8 but not 18" by 7.5 as fitted to the GTI.

Got one sorted for next week.

Anyone know how this might affect the tyre pressure sensors? Or is that something else I need to consider and speak with VW about??

Also they said my car is listed for a Software Update recall, so thats being done at the same time. I guess anyone else with a Mk7 GTI will probably need the same update.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 06 June 2014, 19:28 »
My car was recalled, and the software update which I had today was for the Handbrake.  It took just over an hour. So far as I am aware, the recall was only for cars of a certain period of manufacture.  It will not affect all GTI's. Unless I am completely wrong that is.   :smiley: