Author Topic: Auto handbrake  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Dully

• GTI forum regular
Auto handbrake
« on: 04 June 2014, 15:31 »
To save me hours of fiddling and reading the manual, can the car be parked up and locked with the handbrake off?

I am going away on business for around 3 months and my wife will not run this car, I don't want it to sit for this long with the hand brake on.
Driving - MK7 GTD, 5 Door, CSG, DSG, Santiago's

Offline peterdoherty

• Here all the time
Re: Auto handbrake
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2014, 15:53 »
To save me hours of fiddling and reading the manual, can the car be parked up and locked with the handbrake off?

I am going away on business for around 3 months and my wife will not run this car, I don't want it to sit for this long with the hand brake on.

yes it can - just turn it off (depress button) but its electronic now so dont know why you'd want to do what youre doing
MKVII GTD DSG Carbon Grey 5DR, Dynaudio, Keyless Entry, Rear View Camera, Colour MFD, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Climate Screen, Advanced Phone Kit, High Beam Assist

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2014, 16:24 »
You need to have ignition on I think to undo hand brake, or just turn auto hold off before you park it.
It then won't engage the EPB when you undo your seatbelt, turn engine off and/or open the door :)
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Dully

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2014, 16:28 »

yes it can - just turn it off (depress button) but its electronic now so dont know why you'd want to do what youre doing

I just don't like the pads being pressed up against the disc's for that period of time, had a bad experience after parking a car up at an airport for 3 weeks, massive clunk as the pads managed to un seize from the disc's and some debris scored one of the disc's  :sad:
Driving - MK7 GTD, 5 Door, CSG, DSG, Santiago's

Offline boydeee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2014, 20:17 »
I don't like mine being on everytime I switch the car off much as it is!

If you undo your seatbelt, it comes on as normal. If you then put your foot on the brake then press the handbrake button, it will disengage...sorted!

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2014, 22:10 »
If you undo your seatbelt, it comes on as normal. If you then put your foot on the brake then press the handbrake button, it will disengage...sorted!

Or if you turn auto hold off before you unbuckle it won't even be engaged in the first place. ;)
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline boydeee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2014, 11:59 »

Or if you turn auto hold off before you unbuckle it won't even be engaged in the first place. ;)

Haha! Or that too! Cheers

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2014, 11:45 »
Just be careful about leaving your handbrake off, a member on here has a video of his GTI rolling down the drive into a hedge!