Author Topic: Replacement front tyres for GTD  (Read 4640 times)

Offline gamcqui

• Not said much yet
Replacement front tyres for GTD
« on: 28 May 2014, 10:03 »
In the next few months I'll be needing some new rubber on the front of the GTD  :rolleyes:

Came with 225/40/18 Bridgestones from the factory and, whilst I hated them at first (terrible traction in the wet), as they've worn I think they've got better...

However, as for replacements, are the Michelin's still regarded as the best tyre for grip etc, especially in the wet?

Cheers,

Gareth

Offline corgi

• I live here
Re: Replacement front tyres for GTD
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2014, 10:39 »
Possibly, there are a number of options Michelin, Continental, Pirelli, Vredestein etc. and there will be a range of different opinions.

For wet grip, who knows... there are plenty of tyre tests on the net.

One thing I will say is this: I do not like running different makes of tyre front to rear - this can have a dramatic effect on the handling balance of the car and braking stability...

So in your situation I would either replace the Bridgestones with the same or replace all four. Given that it is now summer ( :cool: ) then I would probably stick with Bridgestones on the front as they work pretty well in the warm and look to change all four next time...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline stuart.cameron

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2014, 10:41 »
How many miles you done? (Just wondering for future reference)
Current // Golf GTD 3dr DSG - Carbon Grey | Discovery Nav Pro, Keyless Entry, Park Assist, Reverse Camera, Winter Pack
Previous // Polo GTI 6r - Black | Xenons, MFSW, Winter Pack, Sensor Pack, Convenience Pack, Climate Control, RNS 510 w/Bluetooth

Offline charlie

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2014, 11:05 »
Swap tyres back to front wear them out the replace all four I've had michelins great tyres but found they wear out quickly 10000 miles conti's I have at the moment good all round tyre but next time I'm going to look at vredesteins  :evil:
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2014, 18:02 »
I've only ever needed to swap front tyres and never bothered swapping rear to front and new to rear, is this something you can request free of charge?
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline karlak

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2014, 19:33 »
I've only ever needed to swap front tyres and never bothered swapping rear to front and new to rear, is this something you can request free of charge?

Many fitting places will now refuse to fit new tyres to the front wheels.  Last time i had two new tyres, they insisted on fitting the new tyres to the rears - This was Costco.  I have heard others now do the same.

They said it was company policy because of a lawsuit in the states.
Ordered 06/01/14.  5DR GTD DSG, Red. Park Assist | Rear Camera | Keyless entry | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | Pro Nav.

Offline Phil 117

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2014, 20:19 »
I personally find Michelins the best, but they don't always make the best.

I had some Pilot Super Sports put on my two front tyres and can highly recommend them. Think it was £120 a tyre. They get a really good write up and meant to be fantastic all rounders.

Here's all the 225/40/18's. If you need something high in particular category.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Size/18-Inch-Tyres/225-40-18-Tyres.htm
Recently sold my GTD.

Offline gamcqui

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2014, 20:01 »
I'm just over 6k miles, so either the Bridgestones are quite soft or I have a heavy right foot  :evil:

Are the Pilot Super Sports better than the Pilot Sport 3's?

What are people's opinions of the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's? They seem to be the top rated summer tyre on that review site.  My bro's got the Rainsport 2's on the front if his Focus ST, and he reckons they're as good as anything he's had.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2014, 09:24 »
I'm just over 6k miles, so either the Bridgestones are quite soft or I have a heavy right foot  :evil:

Based on the fact that you said initial that you'd need new tyres in a few months... the judgement on your heavy right foot will depend on how many miles you do in those few months...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline Valenni

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2014, 16:54 »

Are the Pilot Super Sports better than the Pilot Sport 3's?

What are people's opinions of the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's? They seem to be the top rated summer tyre on that review site.  My bro's got the Rainsport 2's on the front if his Focus ST, and he reckons they're as good as anything he's had.

I just replaced my front Bridgestones after 11K. They were terrible.

I have now got Continentals and they are much better so far. No tramping.

Funny thing though, the tyre people pointed out that I had 3 x Bridgestones and 1 x Continental fitted! Never noticed before.

Proud owner of a Pure white Golf GTD  - Adaptive Chassis Control - Panoramic sunroof - Dynaudio sound pack.