Author Topic: Admiral insurance and DCC  (Read 3276 times)

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
Re: Admiral insurance and DCC
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2014, 13:14 »
I was specifically asked what optional extras i had purchased for the car, and made it quite clear all options were fitted by VW during the build. The DCC was difficult to explain, she asked what it was so I explained it was adjustable dampers, to which she couldn't quite grasp what they were doing for the car. Nontheless all options explained.

My renewal price was high, and I wasn't impressed. Guy on the phone gave me a discount, but instead I went and got a new multicar quote with the same details and it was 30 odd percent cheaper. Rang them back and put that through, and got a further discount for the inconvenience in the end.

The problem in my case was the fact my fiancée is South African, and has only been UK resident 2 years. Her driving license has been held for 9 years but Admiral were the only people who seemed to accept that her license wasn't 0 years old at the time. I spent many hours on the phone to several companies and Admiral were the cheapest quote anyway before factoring in her driving experience - served only to increase the saving, then came Multicar. Was a no brainer for us.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2014, 13:25 by C2K »
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2014, 17:18 »
I would be changing car insurance if they are asking stuff like that. I wasn't asked but I told them the current value. You only need to declare retro fitted things and not the options boxes that VW built for you.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2014, 21:30 »
Yeah likewise I'd go elsewhere, these bits aren't "fitted by VW" (implying additional stuff) they are part of that model of the car.  You can't have a car with no suspension, insurance should know there are two types.

Anyway, you got it sorted satisfactorily in the end  :smiley:

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2014, 22:36 »
Not really,  I paid extra for them and they affect the market value I had to pay. Doesn't bother me,  pays to be thorough and my premium was a bargain tbh.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2014, 09:36 »
Out of interest, how would insurance hold up if you didn't declare optional extras on a second hand car? For example if you didn't realise it had DCC and didn't declare that if asked as optional extra? I think they'd struggle to void the claim unless they could prove you were explicitly aware of the extra being present on the car.

I know in your case they'll say you ordered the car but wondered in the second hand market.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2014, 11:05 »
Optional extras notification should only concern replacement value early in the car's life, especially if you're with an insurer that'll replace a written off/stolen car with a brand new one in year 1 - just so you don't get a fully loaded car replaced with a vanilla one. Further down the line when that car is 3 or 4 years old, those extras will add next to no value for settlement purposes. If you have a repairable smash that requires replacement of an optional extra, they should do that as a matter of course.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2014, 13:58 »
On a related subject, I had trouble with First Alternative a few years ago not insuring factory extras.  Got my money back and went elsewhere.
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2014, 19:37 »
Out of interest, how would insurance hold up if you didn't declare optional extras on a second hand car? For example if you didn't realise it had DCC and didn't declare that if asked as optional extra? I think they'd struggle to void the claim unless they could prove you were explicitly aware of the extra being present on the car.

I know in your case they'll say you ordered the car but wondered in the second hand market.

Yeah I had that healthy debate on another forum with an insurance employee.
He reckoned all extras need to be declared when insuring your car regardless of age.
That is nigh impossible if you buy a car 2 or 3 years old, due to the manufacturers changing spec / previous owner(s) adding extras.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2014, 22:45 »
I was pretty surprised I had to list all my options, took some time to establish they are factory options and not modifications.

After 3 more calls from admiral today they have now concluded they can cover the suspension, but for 23 quid! Can't quite see how dampners can increase the premium. I've asked for a manager to phone tomorrow, will ask them to waive it for the hassle!

Very odd, they even had me read the VW page on ACC (DCC) to them and describe why I wanted the option in the first place!! :huh: