Author Topic: Gearbox failure  (Read 8041 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Gearbox failure
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2014, 22:35 »
Very occasionally, I find reverse is very hard to find (manual box), hot and cold. Putting it in 5th and then reverse (with the cluch dipped all the while) seems to find it, putting it into any other gear won't. This is the worst 6 gear VW gearbox for the (admittedly small) issue, never happened on either of my 2 Sciroccos.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mrzen

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2014, 14:54 »
Just took a call from the garage, here is my translation of what he said:

Him - "The DSG is a really complicated gearbox full of electro this and mechanical that. Neither you or I understand it at all, so we've asked the VW white-coat boffins for help because we are out of our depth. They have said something about a valve thingamebob so it's probably that, but I'll extend your hire car for another 24 hours, just in case sir..."

Me - "Can you swap the Audi you've given me for the Golf R on your forecourt please?"

Him - "Ha ha ha" <- I think he thought I was joking...!
Current
2014 GTI, PP, DSG, 5 door, Nav, Tungsten Silver
2009 Audi A4 2.0 TDI Estate

Previous
2008 Audi A3 Sportback S-line 170 TDI DSG/Stronic
2004 VW Golf V 2.0 TDI 140 Manual
1999 BMW 325i M-Sport

Offline mrzen

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2014, 21:07 »
I'm still in the hire car 10 days later.

The dealership has changed the mechatronic unit but the car won't accept it as far as I can understand from what they said.

Something about it needing coding which they are struggling to do. Sounds like it is too complex for the dealership to handle don't you think?

I'm so bored of the Audi rep car - I want my GTI!!!
Current

Previous
1999 BMW 325i M-Sport

Offline mrzen

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2014, 14:18 »
Replacing the new mechatronic unit didn't work, so VW support Germany have said that it needs a completely new gearbox! wtf? - it's probably only a faulty sensor!

That's now on order so I'm looking at another week at the very least...

On a brighter note, they are changing the replacement car to a Scirocco this evening to stop my constant moaning about the Audi...
Current

Previous
1999 BMW 325i M-Sport

Offline mrzen

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 06 June 2014, 12:04 »
 :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Dear Mr Managing Director, VW Dealership,

Today, I visited your dealership to collect my Golf GTI from your service department. I unfortunately returned home in the loan car.

My car is 2.5 months old, but has spent the last 3 weeks of that with your service team after suffering a major gearbox failure.

This on it's own is enough to be unhappy about, however I understand that problems like this are out of your control. In terms of the context of my overall happiness it is relevant.

Putting that aside, I was already pretty unhappy because of another cock up... The vehicle was delivered to me brand new in the middle of March 2014 year with a 63 registration letter date on the registration certificate!

This was masked by my private plate, but I checked the registration certificate on receipt. It was explained by your staff as a mistake by one of your admin people. The DVLA sent me copies of the original forms and the dates are clear to see as entered.

I've not complained to you about this, but I'm very surprised that this can happen by mistake, surely the date is the most important thing on the form, and your staff must fill in lots of them, especially around that time of year.

I was offered £500 off the price for the mistake, but I was buying a brand new car, so naturally wanted it to be a 14 plate.

I did not point this out at the time, but most of my friends who are anything to to with the auto business smelt a rat, and suggested that it was purposefully registered in the last registration period to massage the sales figures. I obviously have no proof of this, but it makes me uneasy that so many people suggested this might be the case.

Now, I was pretty excited this morning to be picking up my car again. Imagine my reaction (given the above context) when I discover that there is not 1, but 2 brand new scuffs on the rear bumper - one on each side!

No one had noticed apparently, so presumably someone was hoping that I wouldn't notice either.

Your service man said that you will need to take it to the body shop to repair the damage, and once again, I'm making repayments on a GTI whilst having to drive around in an asthmatic Bluemotion Scirocco. As you know - this is not a patch on the GTI I bought.

Before I continue my complaint, I want to nip something in the bud. Your man was quick to suggest that it was the RAC that must have done this when it was loaded onto the 'low loader'.

I know for a fact that this is not the case, firstly, it wasn't a low loader, it was towed, so nothing would have come into contact with the rear of the car unless he had backed it into something. If it had been bumped by him whilst manoeuvring, the damage would have been much more severe.

Secondly it was a man from VW Assist who collected the car (outsourced to RAC or not, it was a VW branded man with a VW Assist shirt on)...

Thirdly, being concerned about my baby, I actually inspected the car at your premises a few days later and the bodywork was faultless, so it definitely occurred whilst it was in your care.

So, to summarise... My brand new £28,000 car, just after having major heart surgery, has now got to go to a body shop for what I assume will be a respray job on the entire rear bumper.

We also have no doubt that the reason for this was carelessness from someone / some people in your team.

The 'mistake' with the reg year I have got over (just), the gearbox I'm still annoyed about, (these things can happen). Having the bumper resprayed because of simple carelessness I am utterly furious about. My new car doesn't feel so new any more and I'm nervous about leaving it in your care.

The car had better be perfect when it is presented to me. There must be no orange peel in the paint, the colour on the bumper must match perfectly, there will be no swirls from careless cleaning and it will be spotless.

If I'm not entirely satisfied that the car is in perfect condition when presented to me, I will be sending it back again and again until it is right.

A full 'back to showroom' valet from local independent auto detailer might be a sensible call given my concern about this.

I would like you to take an interest in this personally from now on, I would like you to call me (my mobile is below) to tell me what you are going to do in response to this email and I want your assurance that you will inspect my car personally before calling me to say it is ready for me to inspect.

I would also like some indication of how long it is going to take to restore my vehicle to the state it was in when it was delivered to you (or better).

I will wait to hear from you in due course.
« Last Edit: 09 June 2014, 14:42 by mrzen »
Current

Previous
1999 BMW 325i M-Sport

Offline mrzen

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 06 June 2014, 12:10 »

Current

Previous
1999 BMW 325i M-Sport

Offline cheets7

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 06 June 2014, 12:19 »
Hand it back and get a full refund with compensation! I wouldn't want it bud!

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #17 on: 06 June 2014, 12:20 »
Eish. Sounds like the fun and games i've had with Robinsons VW in Peterborough.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline mrzen

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 06 June 2014, 12:23 »
Hand it back and get a full refund with compensation! I wouldn't want it bud!

What's the deal on that - I assumed you couldn't just hand a car back and expect a refund... Anyone have any thoughts?
Current

Previous
1999 BMW 325i M-Sport

Offline JakeF

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 06 June 2014, 12:32 »
You can begin the process of rejecting the vehicle still - I've seen six months being banded around as the maximum age but I'm certain you've got a strong case based on the gearbox issues of it being not fit for purpose. However, to add weight to your concerns, I'd suggest at this point you send a copy of your e-mail to VW Customer Service and chase them to respond to your concerns too, to raise your concerns about the overall experience. This level of negligence and incompetence is undoubtedly not a one-off given their reactions and conduct!

So sorry to hear it's not a smooth experience for you though, fingers crossed things get resolved soon  :smiley:
Golf R Estate mk7
Previously Golf GTI mk7