Author Topic: Gearbox failure  (Read 8040 times)

Offline mrzen

• Not said much yet
Gearbox failure
« on: 18 May 2014, 19:00 »
So I was driving back from the supermarket today and suddenly lost power, then all sorts of messages came up in front of me and the car wouldn't change gear!

I managed to stop, tried turning off the ignition and the back on again and it worked again for a few seconds then same again...

Seems like it didn't like 4th gear and just threw a wobbler whenever I got near it.

I crawled home and called vw assist... The service was very good, but he's had to tow the car to the dealership so I will be left with a hire car...

Damn it! :-(

Has anyone else experienced similar? My last dsg/s-tronic car was faultless...
Current
2014 GTI, PP, DSG, 5 door, Nav, Tungsten Silver
2009 Audi A4 2.0 TDI Estate

Previous
2008 Audi A3 Sportback S-line 170 TDI DSG/Stronic
2004 VW Golf V 2.0 TDI 140 Manual
1999 BMW 325i M-Sport

Offline Maka344

• Not said much yet
Re: Gearbox failure
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2014, 20:04 »
That's terrible, sorry to hear buddy.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2014, 20:38 »
First I've heard of it. Unlucky mate, hopefully it'll be a quick fix but I suspect not. What car you been given? I'd be pushing the dealership for an equivalent spec car if the car is going to be with them for a while. You currently rolling in the standard Up?

Offline marnie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2014, 20:52 »
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. When I was ordering my GTI in April the salesman had a German in attendance. When he saw that I was ordering a manual he asked why I didn't want a DSG as it was "the  best gearbox in the world". I replied that I wasn't keen on a £2k repair out of warranty. He said that there were a few problems but that they had been ironed out now. I asked why the powertrain had a 10 year warranty in the US but only 3 in the UK. He said different markets had different requirements. I stuck with the manual.
Mk7 GTI 5 Dr

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2014, 08:04 »
I've now had 4 cars equipped with this transmission. Only the first one on an early Audi TT caused any problems, and that was when it wouldn't select reverse once. Simply "turning it off and on again" fixed it, although it did not log any fault codes according to my dealer. Since then I've never had any troubles at all, so expect yours is an isolated fault.

Hope it gets fixed soon.
GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2014, 08:35 »
Hope you don't get the UP. I had one the other week for a day and it was sh!te. Bottom end Vauxhall Corsas are a far better drive.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2014, 09:59 »
Hope you don't get the UP. I had one the other week for a day and it was sh!te. Bottom end Vauxhall Corsas are a far better drive.

Indeed bare bones is how I would describe it with a coarse engine note.

I do rate the transmission and I've been on the receiving end of 2 faults on separate cars. The DSG on my MK5 would behave as if the clutches slipped so I restarted the engine and it disappeared, only happened twice but I could see a permanent fault developing in the future.

MK6 GTI - Gearbox replacement was £4200 last year. I paid over £2k after goodwill from VWUK. I remain skeptical about the circumstances of the whole gearbox needing replacement as this appears to be rare.

Sometimes it is best to replace with a new item to ensure further reliability but diagnosis of the fault was not clearly detailed which made me suspicious. These Dealerships like to make money on warranty and goodwill work so perhaps I should have taken it to an Indy first and then weighed up my options regarding repair as the car had no warranty.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2014, 10:04 by Poached »

Offline mrzen

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2014, 11:27 »
It's worse than an Up!, it's an Audi A4 diesel in dark grey.

Why is that worse?

Because it's exactly the same as my wife's car - Boo.
Current
2014 GTI, PP, DSG, 5 door, Nav, Tungsten Silver
2009 Audi A4 2.0 TDI Estate

Previous
2008 Audi A3 Sportback S-line 170 TDI DSG/Stronic
2004 VW Golf V 2.0 TDI 140 Manual
1999 BMW 325i M-Sport

mjh_056

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2014, 12:10 »
My last courtesy car for when Audi went in for servicing was a basic, what felt like a 200cc Fiat and that day I had to drive over 100 miles. The longest and slowest 100 miles ever completed!

I still get stick from 'manual' friends and colleagues and admit to being one of them before thought would give the DSG a try and having had for 5-6k miles now only cost would make me ever go back as love it so much.

Much of driving is town and motorways and DSG comes into its own completely and when there is opportunity to stretch the GTD out a bit you have both Sport and Paddles.

Did do my research like we all did when choosing options and though did come across issues back through the Golf models they were very rare and most discussions were about preference.

Hope yours is resolved soon and back to normal.

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2014, 21:33 »
Mine is a manual box but I have noticed it having sone issues getting into gear and steadily seems to be getting worse. I took it to the dealer a few weeks back because first gear was jumpy when cold. They said they took it around the car park and it was fine.....good diagnostics!  Gonna take it back again. Have they given you a time frame on getting yours back )?
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.