Author Topic: Replacment tyres for GTD / GTI  (Read 18583 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Replacment tyres for GTD / GTI
« Reply #20 on: 26 April 2014, 11:10 »
Mark V GTD: That 10mm width lost for the GTD seems to make a hell of a difference in price, the 235s seem to be a solid £40  more than the 225 version for pretty much all the tyre brands. Could it make that much difference in grip in terms of tramping I wonder?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Ross Detours

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 26 April 2014, 16:40 »
I'm coming from an Astra GTC which has standard 19" wheels (tyre size is 235/45/19) and the tyres on that are £250 EACH! ON AN ASTRA!

So I'm happy to see that the GTD's are much cheaper!

Offline Misterp

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 05 May 2014, 18:41 »
So my tyre pressure sensor sounded for the second time in three days same tyre rear left.

I topped up the air the first time just to see what the issue was and also that the my tyre guy is closed until tomorrow. Car was delivered with contis.

My question should I replace with the contis or a different brand only reason I ask is that if in the price range ppl have found that other tyres perform better I would much rather switch brands. I have only ever used mid range toyo t1r on my corrado and MK3 colour concept as I found to be all round good for the price.

Finally, is it true that I will lose the black wheel nut coverings on changing tyres.
Golf GTD mk7 DSG pearl black - collected 25 September 2013.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 05 May 2014, 21:03 »
The wheel nut coverings are just plastic caps so you won't lose them. What you will lose is the black balancing weights that balance the tyres. Some tyre fitting places are using them but the majority aren't.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2014, 14:31 by mcmaddy »
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Misterp

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 06 May 2014, 12:20 »
The wheel but coverings are just plastic caps so you won't lose them. What you will lose is the black balancing weights that balance the tyres. Some tyre fitting places are using them but the majority aren't.

So I have my quotes conti 5 at 104 fitted, toyo 96 fitted, Pirelli p0 108 fitted and kumo at 87 fitted. Whilst the prices seem reasonable. Which ones have people used and advise that I should go for.
Golf GTD mk7 DSG pearl black - collected 25 September 2013.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 06 May 2014, 14:32 »
Conti 5's out of those. Others all rave about Michelin's ps3's too

Offline GTD184

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 06 May 2014, 15:15 »
Conti 5's out of those. Others all rave about Michelin's ps3's too

Michellin PS3's all day long....little bit expensive but you get what you pay for!!

Costco have a tyre offer on ATM....if you are a member you get a £100 voucher to spend in the warehouse (4 tyres) or £50 on (2 tyres).  Costco also sell Contis and Brigestones at some warehouses.

The Michellins will probably work out cheaper at Costco than any where else and they use Nitrogen for inflation :wink:
GTD 5 Door, DSG - Pearl Black, Dynaudio, 19" Santiago's and a few accessories.......Collection 20th May 2014....(My Birthday!)

GTi PP 5dr DSG - Tornado Red, Santiago's and 90% Tints....Collection due 1st March 2017......"One of the last Mk7's" - "Cancelled"

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 06 May 2014, 17:32 »
Nitrogen filling is a load of sh!te on anything outside extreme track racing. you will never appreciate the slight differences a nitrogen filled tyre will have over an air filled one (better following Boyles law), except at the very extremes of racing. When the average tyre is filled to 2.4 bar, the tyre will have 1 atmosphere of regular air in it when it is mounted on the wheel, unless it is filled in a vacuum by people in space suits. Then you add nitrogen to get it to 2.4 bar, that tyre will still have about 8% oxygen in it. They could lower the oxygen content by constantly deflating the tyre and reinflating with nitrogen multiple times to purge the air/nitrogen mix. Oxidation of the tyre to the point of ruination will take many years - the outside of the tyre will be exposed to oxygen in the air anyway. Air is not your tyre's enemy on a road going car.

Costco's voucher promotion on right now isn't quite as generous as all that on standard 18" wheels - 2 tyres gets you £30 voucher and 4 gets you £70, it's £50/100 on 2/4 x 19" michelins. I am a fan of the PS3s though. Best tyre I have ever put on my car - grippy in all conditions, relatively hard wearing and relatively quiet - hard to get a tyre that is all three.

Costco shouldn't scrape your alloys either like some black circles/orange wheels affiliated back street tyre places do (and have done on a previous car), because they've got decent/modern/well maintained tyre changing kit.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2014, 17:36 by monkeyhanger »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 06 May 2014, 18:19 »
How come people say the Michelin's are quiet when all the tyre sites say they are noisier than other tyres. I know it's not much only 1 or 2 decibels but the ps3's still don't come near the top of the list.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 06 May 2014, 18:23 »
How come people say the Michelin's are quiet when all the tyre sites say they are noisier than other tyres. I know it's not much only 1 or 2 decibels but the ps3's still don't come near the top of the list.

Can't explain it. Maybe Michelins are a certain db and don't deteriorate over the tyre life and another soon gets a step and is very noisy after a short while, way ouder than their brand new rating. Pirelli P7s get very noisy as they wear. I really don't understand the official grip rating of Bridgestones, they really are sh!te for grip and i've suffered them on 2 Golfs.