Author Topic: Drove the DSG GTI - Fantastic!  (Read 2574 times)

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
Drove the DSG GTI - Fantastic!
« on: 31 May 2013, 19:37 »
I really needed to know what the Mark 7 GTI was like with DSG. So I rang a local dealer and couldn't believe it when then he said they had one in 5 door pure white. Which was even better because I really waned to see a 5 door before I committed to a 3 door.

When he said you can come and drive it now, I was like I'll be there in a hour!

Impressions of the 5 door DSG in white:

It looks very, very nice. Maybe not quite as nice as the 3 door, but it has its own beauty and is obviously much more practical. The pure white colour looks very nice even when slightly dirty if you know what I mean. A very practical colour indeed.

Now to the DSG. All I can say is wow! It was better than I expected. Simply effortless. A cracking box. I drove it in town traffic and on the M40 for a couple of junctions and it was so easy to drive, in D, S and manual paddle shifting. I drove a mark 6 DSG yesterday and there is a significant improvement in the mark 7 DSG box. It's drives off very smoothly from standstill, even with the stop/start function. At first I wondered what the sound was when moving away at the traffic lights because the engine is so damn quite lol. Then I realised it starts as soon as you lift your foot of the brake pedal and it was the sound of the engine restarting that I was hearing. All very refined stuff. I also flicked the 'A' button, disabling the stop/start function, which was so easy to do on the fly.

I don’t know what the CAR review was referring to about the long ratio 6th gear in D mode though? Yes it does kick into 6th gear at around 55-60 mph but when I wanted to accelerate I simply pressed on the pedal slightly and it dropped to 5th gear.

If anyone was in doubt if they should have chosen the DSG, I can safely say you will NOT be disappointed – it’s a peach! This car was so damn quick and it was a standard GTI.  The PP version should be a cracker.

Btw, the dealer said I could have this exact car after 3 months once they fulfilled the demo required period.

Pics will be posted in the pics thread.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2013, 19:40 by master_hayabusa »

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Re: Drove the DSG GTI - Fantastic!
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2013, 19:45 »
Awesome, wish I could drive that one myself.

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2013, 19:50 »
Awesome, wish I could drive that one myself.

You'd love it bear. Looks like you ordered the same spec apart from PP and leather. Go to Citygate in Ruislip, they're very friendly dealers.

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2013, 00:07 »
Yep!! Sounds "Awesome!"....  Can't wait to get my hands on mine now... I did have reservations opting for the DSG as I've always had manuals in the past, but judging by your experience you've put my mind at ease...
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2013, 00:14 »
Yep!! Sounds "Awesome!"....  Can't wait to get my hands on mine now... I did have reservations opting for the DSG as I've always had manuals in the past, but judging by your experience you've put my mind at ease...

Good to know. Try to test drive one. Pretty soon most dealers will have a GTI and a few of them will be DSG. For me, the drive today sealed the deal.