Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2790507 times)

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5390 on: 21 September 2016, 19:56 »
Chipex kit arrived ready for some stone chips to be fixed. Need to do decontamination clean first though - planned for tomorrow. Weather report looks ok so fingers crossed.

« Last Edit: 21 September 2016, 19:59 by davewilliams000 »
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline AndyG

• Here all the time
« Reply #5391 on: 21 September 2016, 20:10 »
It's not bad chippex,I've found that when I apply the paint,if I lick my ungloved index finger and gently apply it over the paint I've applied it sort of blends the paint in nicely.Once the paint is dry gently pass over with the blending solution then polish.
If it doesn't look right you can remove the paint with more pressure with the blending solution and start again.It takes me many attempts to get it something like.
Golf 7R,DSG,5 door White,leather,rear camera.

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5392 on: 21 September 2016, 20:14 »
It's not bad chippex,I've found that when I apply the paint,if I lick my ungloved index finger and gently apply it over the paint I've applied it sort of blends the paint in nicely.Once the paint is dry gently pass over with the blending solution then polish.
If it doesn't look right you can remove the paint with more pressure with the blending solution and start again.It takes me many attempts to get it something like.

Thanks for the tips.  How long did you find it takes to dry before using the blending solution? (Still need to read the instructions properly!)

Offline eightyeightmph

• I live here
« Reply #5393 on: 21 September 2016, 20:19 »
Scirocco R went back & I picked up the new GTD last Saturday, changed the badges to black ones and then went back and vinyl wrapped the rear backing plate. It's going in for a new car detail in 2 weeks and will have the half roof & mirror covers vinyl wrapped gloss black in due course. Very pleased so far.

2016 GOLF GTD

Offline AndyG

• Here all the time
« Reply #5394 on: 21 September 2016, 20:48 »
Depending on the chip I leave it about 40 mins sometimes longer,I'm often impatient and don't leave it long enough but you've got a good few hours that you can wipe all the paint off with applied pressure and start again.
It's trial and error and depends on weather temperature how long to leave it.Im far from an expert but you can get acceptable results. Good luck with it.
Golf 7R,DSG,5 door White,leather,rear camera.

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
« Reply #5395 on: 22 September 2016, 15:49 »
2 x Diamond cut refurbs and 4 new Goodyears most I've spent on a car in a long time. :cry:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5396 on: 22 September 2016, 19:47 »
Had a lovely day out, good mix of roads from the M25 to A and B roads through some stunning countryside in Kent and Sussex. A couple of great NT houses thrown in too. 170 miles, lots of different traffic conditions and 41mpg, pretty good. GTI made for a really enjoyable drive even if it's nigh on impossible to give it a thrash as it's up to speed/traffic too quick. But a great day out was had by, well, me, not sure my OH was quite so impressed...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #5397 on: 22 September 2016, 19:57 »
Depending on the chip I leave it about 40 mins sometimes longer,I'm often impatient and don't leave it long enough but you've got a good few hours that you can wipe all the paint off with applied pressure and start again.
It's trial and error and depends on weather temperature how long to leave it.Im far from an expert but you can get acceptable results. Good luck with it.
You can speed the process slightly by borrowing the wife's hairdryer :wink: but use it gently. (If the ambient temperature is low then it is pretty essential to get the paint to dry.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5398 on: 22 September 2016, 20:53 »
Full decontamination clean using Tardis and Iron X, then applied gTechniq c2v3 to all exterior glass and paintwork when done. About 5 hrs work in total. More detail on the process I used can be found in the detailing thread (no pun intended :rolleyes:)... http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=274783.msg2548395#msg2548395

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #5399 on: 22 September 2016, 21:55 »
Stunning work!!
One of the very best GTD's I've seen :drool:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16