Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2790640 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #3440 on: 18 December 2015, 18:31 »
Currently in Vegas with my Golf GTI hire car. It's a Carbon Grey DSG 5 door. Main differences between this and UK spec are: Halogen lights (they're like a pair of candles) no digital climate control, a manual   handbrake, no ACC, very soft suspension, parking camera (but no parking sensors) - I'd rather have the sensors, but spaces here are huge as the average car here is a Dodge Ram (huge). It does have an SOS button in the roof console to link you to the breakdown services, front and rear lights are just like you'd get on a Base model Golf. Other than those differences it looks pretty much like a UK model.

So glad my R is manual, the DSG is so dimwitted when left to its own devices. Anyone wondering whether to get an R or a GTI, I'd say get the R, the performance difference is pretty substantial (and it is running on 95, not crappy 91). It's a thirsty bugger too, averaging 21mpg (US gallons), so about 26 miles to the proper gallon.

Going to drive it to the Hoover Dam today.

You go all the way to Vegas and you hire a Golf, you are such a VW fanboy MH :grin: :grin: :grin:. Should have got a mustang or a cadillac

:grin: :grin:  I agree!  I hired a f7ck off Mustang to drive to the Hoover Dam from Vegas, roof down in the sun, was fantastic!

Was supposed to get a Cameron,  but all they had left at Alamo when I got there was the GTI, a ton of Lincoln hearses and a few very crappy looking little domestic vehicles. When the Alamo guy pointed out the GTI his attitude was that it was a complete piece of sh!te. Better than the alternative by a long way. Got half my lease prepayment back for the downgrade.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3441 on: 18 December 2015, 18:32 »
Cameron = Camaro.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3442 on: 18 December 2015, 18:34 »
Currently in Vegas with my Golf GTI hire car. It's a Carbon Grey DSG 5 door. Main differences between this and UK spec are: Halogen lights (they're like a pair of candles) no digital climate control, a manual   handbrake, no ACC, very soft suspension, parking camera (but no parking sensors)

Another main difference would be the engine which also isn't the same as the UK GTi

Anyone wondering whether to get an R or a GTI, I'd say get the R, the performance difference is pretty substantial (and it is running on 95, not crappy 91).

Here we go... 

Next you will be telling us about the bridgestones...  :wink:

I think they still get the 210ps lump from the MK6. I didn't check the tyres, but whatever they were the traction is a bit slippy off the line without giving it too much.

Jackie Treehorn

« Reply #3443 on: 18 December 2015, 18:38 »
Your on holiday man, relax and leave the dull forum stuff till you get back!!

Although to be fair, I don't know you could be over in the US working...

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3444 on: 18 December 2015, 18:41 »
Your on holiday man, relax and leave the dull forum stuff till you get back!!

Although to be fair, I don't know you could be over in the US working...

Holidays it is, just killing time sat in a bar having a quick pint while the missus shops!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3445 on: 18 December 2015, 21:37 »
Got my new a Tyres fitted and offered them up to the car to get an idea of how it should look.
Wheels sealed tomorrow and on next week :smiley:

Oh yeah!!!  :cool: :cool: :cool:
« Last Edit: 18 December 2015, 21:39 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #3446 on: 19 December 2015, 00:03 »
However, here's the kicker. Fully loaded the car at list came in under £30k, and with a drive the deal discount, he got it for under £24.5K. Even with the deprecation, that's a pretty good price for a decent motor, and makes the Golf's look very expensive. Obviously his was a manual, but Ford told him early next year they will introduce their new 6 speed power shift DSG type box to the ST range.  I expected to not like it but in the end, it was a very nice motor for sensible money.

I've just had a look at the leasing deals on these and they are dear and that is for a bog standard entry £22,500 car.
Most leasing deals I could see were not that far off £400. There might be much cheaper leasing deals as I only looked at contracthireandleasing for a guide.
Whereas the Golf R at £31,000 bog standard can be had for a good bit under £300 on the same site. Like you say that is probably down to depreciation so it might end up costing you a far bit more.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
« Reply #3447 on: 19 December 2015, 16:14 »
I drove my R for the first time since getting my Jag.....I forget how quick a tuned R is 😳
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3448 on: 20 December 2015, 02:20 »
Last day at Vegas (now at mcCarran airport) and some clown in a Dodge Ram tried to back out of his parking space as I was driving past, creasing the front wing where it meets the front bumper on the wheel arch. We exchanged details and he was very apologetic so I said I would say the car was like that when I got back to it if my CDW was in place to not cost me anything (it was).

Offline Mrparkuk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3449 on: 20 December 2015, 08:09 »
Last day at Vegas (now at mcCarran airport) and some clown in a Dodge Ram tried to back out of his parking space as I was driving past, creasing the front wing where it meets the front bumper on the wheel arch. We exchanged details and he was very apologetic so I said I would say the car was like that when I got back to it if my CDW was in place to not cost me anything (it was).

Same thing happened to me once. The clown drove off but I managed to get his picture.

:grin: :grin: :grin:
« Last Edit: 20 December 2015, 09:16 by Mrparkuk »
Current-Jan 2017 M140i, auto. Mineral Grey. ☠😈

Gone-mk7 golf Gti PP, Carbon Grey, 2015 specification, 5dr.