Author Topic: F17BAD G3 GTI. S3 TURBO  (Read 430123 times)

Offline Itteh

• Here all the time
  • Built Not Bought
Re: F17BAD G3 GTI. S3 TURBO
« Reply #2720 on: 19 October 2012, 01:54 »
Your car is looking like pure madness !! i wish i could do all that to mine, dont have the funds.... and i dont think i ever will.... totally jealous of ur interior lights in the first page..... tried getting rid of my green interior bulbs and lights buh EPIC Fail, the heater controls dont light up anymore at all, the clocks wudnt work with the led's i bought of fleabay but they did work when local car electrician tried them out.  and im not clever enough to change the window switch colors and all them..... any tips on how to do them ? or a couple of beer cans your way and you could like help loool....

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #2721 on: 21 October 2012, 12:21 »
Brad any idea how the NGK 7s compare to IK22s in terms of heat spec?

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
« Reply #2722 on: 21 October 2012, 13:48 »
Brad any idea how the NGK 7s compare to IK22s in terms of heat spec?

They are specced for the same heat range. I have IK22's gapped at 0.7mm. (the gap is important) Just depends on the material. The ik22's are iridium and you can get different flavours of the 7's. Copper are meant to perform best but the downside is more regular changes.

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #2723 on: 21 October 2012, 14:51 »
Copper all the way for big power / turbo much better for the heat

the iridium / platinum are only coated to last longer anyhow

they cost like a couple of quid each so im just gonna change every oil change  (5k miles)

now I'm running the TFSI coils I'm going to widen my Spark gap up too 

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #2724 on: 21 October 2012, 16:31 »
Cheers guys - I can get a set of the NGK 7s for under a tenner; for that price I don't mind changing them every year with my service

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #2725 on: 24 October 2012, 07:59 »
Savage with what happened with the engine mount dude, lucky you had the sump plated up though eh? I think I will pick up a steel sump to plate up for my next oil change...... And I bet your glad this happened to your car and not a customer's eh? At least now, you can have confidence in the engine mount design should anyone want a car built that would need one :)

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #2726 on: 05 November 2012, 21:44 »
Had a issue with what felt like a misfire.. turned out it was a school boy error on my part. with mine been a very late year engine it has a EGT probe that actually controls the fuelling, earlier S3's don't have this and seen as my MTM kit was originally on a early S3 it never had it.. I assumed I didn't need to run it with the new set up and MTM map  (and Kim at QST the UK MTM dealer also never mentioned i needed to run it)

In a nutshell I do need it. So off came the downpipe (What a Bas tard that was  :grin:) and thanks the Bill @ badger 5, who sent me a bung to weld in the probe and also gave me advice on where to locate it and the settings needed to adjust the fuelling side of my ECU  (top guy)
The probe is right on the flange near the outlet to the turbo, its about 100 degrees away from its OEM location hence the need to adjust my Fulling setting son my map. Standard is 920 degrees, Bill has told me i need to adjust this down to 850 degrees.

while the downpipe was off i decided to also weld in a bung for a Air Fuel ratio meter too which ill fit at a later date

Bill told me my car would be running rich without the probe and also very slow (it was fast as a mo fo) 

any how, he wss right it is certainly much faster now  (i didnt think that possible tbh :laugh:)

This whole probelm only came when i fixed some boost leaks, one of which was huge. this will have been making it lean, but the probe not been installed for the EGT will have been making it rich so counter balancing it out and masking any issues..  soon as the boost leaks were fixed it was just running rich hence the miss fire feeling (actually protection from ECU from dumping too much fuel)

all sorted now, car just awaiting custom mapping.

Drove it saturday tho, fast as fooookery and no black sutt on my tailpipes which i was getting when running rich..  happy days  :smiley:

Downpipe, had this bung welded here for AFR meter

Here is the EGT probe and control box

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline CJA321

• I live here
« Reply #2727 on: 05 November 2012, 22:03 »
Top work as always Brad  :smiley:

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #2728 on: 22 November 2012, 17:26 »
Just a small update..

had Nick (from Carbon) adjust the fueling side of my map to accommodate the change of locatiion of the EGT probe (as per Bill of Badger 5's advice)

Nick also did some small tweeks to the MTM map, car feel amazingly good...  as a demonstration it made a Astra VXR Nubergring edition look like he was in reverse gear.. pure savage and thisis still only at 10 - 11psi :shocked:

once i get the AFR meter in the car we will go all out, so will be near the 20 psi mark and god knows what BHP.. 

will do the last few tweeks of the map on the rolling road

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #2729 on: 09 December 2012, 21:54 »
Well the sump finally gave in after months of abuse

surprisingly the modified bottom survived (even tho this part was already scuffed badly from previous encounters) but hitting a hump in the road at 20MPH caused it to crack u the side of the sump - a area thats not altered from standard

the scuffs to the underside after from a year of daily use and abuse

the crack is right up the side of the sump plug

Lost all my week old oil and this happened about 1.30AM on on Saturday nite / sunday morning

A MK2 Version sump is now been made... this eill be a shortened version, i currently have a Doctor of engineering making this for me, and doing it so i can run the correct amount of oil unlike other shallow sumps

more on this soon

Not no ordinary GTI....

www.mixcloud.com/kells/