Author Topic: Clubsport Usage  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Prospective

• Not said much yet
Clubsport Usage
« on: 13 August 2022, 18:44 »
Hi I was in my local vw dealer today arranging my wife’s car service. I also spoke to my salesperson who I bought my Clubsport from just a year ago. He was asking how my ownership with the mark 8 was and I said well I don’t use it much as following its attempted theft last xmas it lives in the garage and is a faff to get it out so I’m using my wife’s car. When I have used it it’s been a joy! No issues but I have only done 2500 miles in it. He immediately offered to buy the car back for £1k less than I paid for it! I am seriously considering his offer. The car is reflex silver, estorils alloys, DCC & HUD. Would you consider that a good offer?

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
Re: Clubsport Usage
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2022, 20:13 »
You won’t know whether it’s a good offer or not until you have a comparison. Try Motorway and CarWow to get a sense if it’s advantageous to you. A car of that age, spec and mileage, given the scarcity of new cars must be attractive to buyers generally. If you’re tempted, advertising privately might bring you a better price.
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2022, 09:33 »
Would you replace the Clubby with something else of similar value?
If not and you won’t miss it then yes, why not cash in.

As Ceefeesh suggests, it would be well worth getting a few more quotes to get an idea if the price offered was a decent one. Private selling nearly new cars can be a pain and there’s the security risks involved but it’s likely that someone making a serious offer will be a trade buyer anyway.
If you can be bothered to take a load of photos somewhere like Motorway could yield results. It depends where you live though, certainly in my part of the world people I know who have tried this method had dealers wanting the vendor to deliver the car to a garage over an hour away as a minimum.

Going straight back to your local dealer would at least be hassle free.

The only other thing to bear in mind is if you decide to replace the GTI with something else the prices have gone up but if you time it right you can still get decent discounts via brokers such as DtD.
And if you do replace it with something similar you’d be paying £600 a year tax for it to sit idle as the prices haven’t so much crept up but leapt up.

At least if you do sell up it’ll be a few grand towards your heating bill this winter 😁
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2022, 09:13 »
So that will be going on the forecourt with a sticker two grand above what you paid originally.

As I’ve said before, car prices are like house prices, only relevant if you have a spare one to sell and no need to replace.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2022, 10:24 »
Hi I was in my local vw dealer today arranging my wife’s car service. I also spoke to my salesperson who I bought my Clubsport from just a year ago. He was asking how my ownership with the mark 8 was and I said well I don’t use it much as following its attempted theft last xmas it lives in the garage and is a faff to get it out so I’m using my wife’s car. When I have used it it’s been a joy! No issues but I have only done 2500 miles in it. He immediately offered to buy the car back for £1k less than I paid for it! I am seriously considering his offer. The car is reflex silver, estorils alloys, DCC & HUD. Would you consider that a good offer?

As said be with about 2 k more than dealer offer I reckon.
What happened with attempted theft did they damage it or break in house for keys?
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2022, 11:12 »
What happened with attempted theft did they damage it or break in house for keys?

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=288768.msg2651487#msg2651487
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2022, 13:17 »
In the current used car climate if you are not using it I would say do abit research on the price and just get rid.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Toeman

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2022, 19:16 »
For what it’s worth. Just get it out of the garage and drive it.    I know  you have had a bad experience  but life’s far too short  to let others take the enjoyment  from you    Take it easy

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2022, 20:01 »
For what it’s worth. Just get it out of the garage and drive it.    I know  you have had a bad experience  but life’s far too short  to let others take the enjoyment  from you    Take it easy

^This.

Even if it is a bit of a faff to get your car in and out of your garage, out of sight is out of mind so if would-be perpetrators can’t see it, then IMHO it removes temptation from them to help themselves to it. I garage my car for this reason; is it a bit of a faff to put the car away in the garage when not in use? IMHO I don’t think so; for me, the benefits outweigh any small inconvenience;
  • Removes temptation of would-be thieves and vandals stealing or damaging it
  • No need to defrost the windows in the wintertime
  • Helps keep it cleaner for longer and keeps the paintwork safe from bird poo etching and tree sap damage

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline dfm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2022, 21:50 »
Agree, set the alarm for early on Sunday and go for a blast. Remind yourself why you got it in the first place.