Author Topic: To lower or not to lower?  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: To lower or not to lower?
« Reply #10 on: 17 July 2022, 08:53 »
As assumed, this is what lurks beneath the floor of a GTE:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=underside+of+golf+gte&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:110f359b,vid:TtC5jdFtgps,st:0

You won’t want that bulk scraping on speed humps.

A moderate lowering should be ok so long as you don’t have masses of speed humps in your area.
Bear in mind the points Guzzle raises.
In my misspent younger years I messed about with suspension kits a fair bit and there’s a delicate balance between looks and inducing crashiness over irregularities.
I’d always plump for matched dampers and springs as an ideal (unless you do trackdays fully adjustable coil-overs are overkill and have too many unnecessary points of adjustment which can potentially lead to unreliability if you just want to fit and forget) but springs alone can work if they’re carefully chosen.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 17 July 2022, 09:43 »
There was a breathed-on ID3 at Goodwood this year, I think it was on the RacingLIne stand, not sure how much one of those weighs but the springs must be pretty tough to cope with the bumps.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Dazie00

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 17 July 2022, 16:08 »
Got some Eibach pro springs up for sale in the ads , do you. a fair price ? 07896490104
GTI PP, Leather, Pan roof, Rev Camera, Keyless , MIB2

Gone but not forgotten
GTI 5 Man
R 7 DSG stage 1
GTI 5 DSG
RS4 B7
GTI 4 1.8T
GTI 3
GTI 1 CAB

Offline Meister

• Not said much yet
  • 2018 GTI - Pure White
« Reply #14 on: 17 July 2022, 20:51 »
You need different wheels in my opinion... they simply don't suit this car in my opinion. Would never ever touch suspension on any car personally as prefer manufacturer spec look. I got BBS 19 inch wheels on my car and they fully fill each wheel arch.
NOW - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI, Manual- Pure White
GONE - 2015 Mk7 GTD, Manual - Tungsten
GONE - 2014 Scirocco GTS 2.0TDI - Salsa Red
GONE - 2012 Scirocco 2.0TDI - Black
GONE - 2009 Mk6 GTI - Tornado Red
GONE - 2008 Mk5 GtTDI - Reflex Silver
GONE - 1991 Corrado 1.8 16v - Dark Green
GONE - 1989 Jetta 1.8 'Show condition' - Red

Offline onmeedson

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 17 July 2022, 21:42 »
Get some Eibach Pro springs on - only £102 at Demon Tweeks!

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
  • Hey all! I may need some help.
« Reply #16 on: 22 July 2022, 10:20 »
Added pictures for reference.

It gives the car a much better stance and presence. I have 25mm front and rear H&R springs with 12mm spacers at the front and 15mm spacers at the rear. The ride is a little harsher but flows much better when on it. Only thing is, I need to make sure I have a proper alignment and camber done when changing the tyres, as it does wear the inside tyre wall otherwise.

GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline dubweiser

• Just got here
« Reply #17 on: 23 July 2022, 20:23 »
You need different wheels in my opinion... they simply don't suit this car in my opinion. Would never ever touch suspension on any car personally as prefer manufacturer spec look. I got BBS 19 inch wheels on my car and they fully fill each wheel arch.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion of course. I think these rims suit the car well. I know it’s subjective. I thought long and what to get.

What do others think?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 23 July 2022, 20:45 »

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion of course. I think these rims suit the car well. I know it’s subjective. I thought long and what to get.

What do others think?

I really like them. IMHO they’re the best colour, and style-wise they have an OEM look about them. Are they BBS SR’s? If not, they’re a very similar style.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 23 July 2022, 22:02 »
Borbet Y’s?

I really like the wheels, very German looking, no polished sections, easy to clean and suit the car well.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner