Author Topic: Powerflex Dogbone Mount Insert  (Read 1610 times)

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
Powerflex Dogbone Mount Insert
« on: 12 July 2023, 15:30 »
Hi

Anyone have the Powerflex Insert? trying to take up some slop in the engine when under moderate load from braking and acceleration on bumpy B roads. Not really wheel hop just steady throttle loads and B road bumps.

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-details/Lower+Engine+Mount+%28Large%29+Insert/12384.html

Or the Diesel red one in a petrol as its supposed to be softed which may translate to lower NVH?

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-details/Lower+Engine+Mount+%28Large%29+Insert+Diesel/12389.html

Offline mustard

• Here all the time
  • Mk7 R
Re: Powerflex Dogbone Mount Insert
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2023, 16:31 »
I have one fitted to current Golf R (Yellow) and one previously to my GTI. After a couple of weeks you do not notice any NVH. I still get a little shudder on start up, but other than that no down side.

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2023, 16:48 »
Thanks

Did it improve the issue i'm describing? Or did you do it as part of other upgrades or for other reasons? 

Just don't really want extra NVH if it doesn't really solve the issue. That's the reason for thinking about it and whether to give the red version a try, but you clearly you liked the part and got it a 2nd time.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2023, 19:51 by EB2019 »

Offline mustard

• Here all the time
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2023, 17:32 »
I fitted it to my GTI as there was an issue engaging 3rd gear (manual) occasionally it would not go in and VW reckoned it was due to excessive movement of the engine/gearbox. I was sceptical, but actually it worked. Fitted it to the R as I was experiencing a feeling that the engine was rocking on applying acceleration. This has fixed that feeling, feels much more stable.

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2023, 20:18 »
I noticed a few miss shifts or buzzzz when going into third too, and this was only when driving quicker or shifting very quickly into third.  I don't do that often and it was a surprise to get that, I didn't think it was related however its likely the same cause as you mentioned.  Was the car under warranty and VW just said its a characteristic of the low NVH design, as the mount wasn't broken and therefore best bet is to upgrade? 

I can understand that being the case, but it does sound like a poorly engineered set of mounts/vibration torque damping as many cars don't have this issue under load but also have low NVH, so some car manufactures have implemented better options without needing to go the aftermarket route..

Offline rowlers

• I live here
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2023, 22:24 »
I have the yellow powerflex insert fitted and not gonna lie, it shakes your teeth out for the first couple of hundred miles. Now, I don't notice apart from a slight blip when pulling away and more noticeable in reverse. Nothing to worry about though, the gear shift improvement is worth it anyway, and it was pretty good anyway!

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2023, 09:11 »
Ok think I might try the red one, had a few cars with teeth shaking and too old for that now :whistle:

Offline mustard

• Here all the time
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2023, 09:55 »
The car was about 4 years old and had an extended warranty, VW did actually suggest fitting the insert as they could find no cause for the baulking changing gear.

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2023, 08:09 »
Thanks for the update Mustard :wink:

I ordered the Red insert after comms with Powerflex and a new bolt from VW as its a stretch bolt.

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 03 March 2024, 08:29 »
To update this thread, and some lessons learnt

(Car only has 25k on the clock)
Fitted the Red Powerflex insert and a few things I noted.

Firstly when I removed the bolt and inserted the powerflex bush, the engine was very easy to swing with the bolt removed (one hand on sump little effort).  The 2 top mounts support the engine weight and the dog bone supports the fore/aft movement, so I didn't think anything of it at the time.

Started the car and went for a drive and noticed pretty high NVH, at idle and in reverse. I persevered for 300+ miles but couldn't stand the NVH, you could feel it through your arse and less so on your hands but still unacceptable. So I pulled it out, binned it, and had a rethink.

I replaced the 3 main engine mounts, this made it 80% more solid with now only the VW designed amount of slop that many still want to remove due to it spoiling enthusiastic driving. Think 5th to 3rd fast driving as you enter corner/roundabout etc. engine can be felt swinging forward, or missing 3rd going up the gearbox at pace.

Full circle now and I ordered and fitted another red Powerflex insert and new stretch bolt, with new mounts and the insert bolt removed I couldn’t move the engine much with one hand on the sump as before, seems all the slop was gone? But I didn't think originally that the 2 top engine mounts reduced much movement, but they clearly all work together. Anyway took it for a drive and barely noticed NVH at idle, maybe 10% increase.   Feels tighter and more like other none MQB cars I have owned. It actually make the car feel normal.

Anyway just thought I would write this in case others are scratching their heads over this small upgrade or why it may not have worked as they liked. 

Mine was the right hand newer type (2016 on Powerflex said to me, but prefer for owners to double-triple check)

I picked red as it was close to normal rubber bushes which seem to range around 50ish on the durometer scale. but filled the void with something relatively soft.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2024, 18:58 by EB2019 »