Author Topic: 2.0 16v ABF vs 2.0 9a with KR cams etc  (Read 31483 times)

Offline Jimmy16v

• Not said much yet
2.0 16v ABF vs 2.0 9a with KR cams etc
« on: 31 October 2008, 15:09 »
Hey guys

Been reading the thread about track car options - I am going to be running a Mk2 1.8 Valver just while I get used to handling etc which I know is a decent engine to start with.  However I'm also considering where to go next. 

I have read about the 2.0 ABF either doing a full engine conversion or just the ABF bottom end and the KR stuff too.  Now the 9a engine with just KR cams and Mani is also a good option?  I have looked into an ABF engine/bottom end and they seem to be quite a rarity!  Is this the case with the 9a engine too? 

Where can you get these engines form cheaply?  What do you think is the cheapest for the best gains?  Any comments / debates would really help.  Sorry that similar threads have been on but would really help me out.

Cheers Chaps

Jimmy

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: 2.0 16v ABF vs 2.0 9a with KR cams etc
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2008, 15:12 »
ABF - Out of some Seats and MKIII Golf GTI's. Also think an Audi or two had it fitted.

9A- 90-92 Passat 16v's and 91ish - 95 Corrado 16vs. Not sure if it was fitted in anything audi.

Nick

sharpie

« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2008, 15:16 »
i have some KR cams for sale if you want them

Offline Jimmy16v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2008, 15:37 »
Cheers for the info.  Now which do you guys reckon is best and what permetations?  :undecided:

Not decided what I am doing yet to start buying KR cams but thanks any way  :wink:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2008, 15:41 »
I believe the rv limit is higher on the ABF than the 9A but other than that I don't think there's much in it if they're both running on the same management. I've got a 9a in my Rado (from factory) and it's running a KR inlet cam and a drilled airbox. Goes like a rocket and makes all the right noises. Next steps will be a 50mm inlet manifold and 4 - 1 exhaust manifold and cat replacement pipe.

Does anyone know the actual differences? Is the 9a a big bore short stroke and the ABF small bore big stroke? Why does the 9A have a lower redline than the KR and ABF?

Nick

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2008, 15:44 »
technically the ABF is the better engine, taller block makes for better rod angle or something? plus apparently its stronger due to being designed with SEAT motorsport in mind, cant confirm that though just what a mate told me!

In reality there isnt that much in it, just get whatever 2.0 16v block you can find you wont be disappointed!  There are some differences in the heads but nothing so drastic its really worth a head swap, just leave whichever head is on there and save the head swap for a ported jobber!  As for cams, the later ABF ones are arguably the best stock ones out there, there was a post on CGTI with all the cam specs of the different 16v motors.  If you get a 9a head the only cam you need to swap is the inlet for an abf, or both cams for a pair of abf ones.

The later post 94ish 9a has the same zaust cam and head as the ABF, inlet still lame so just a abf inlet cam for that one.  Eay way to tell if its a late head or not, if it is held on with nuts rather than bolts its a late one.  Also iirc 027... is the early part number and 051... is the late.

ABF blocks though are more likely to be a bit newer than the equivilant 9a, but sayin that if you get a 9a out of a Passat its less likely to have been ragged!  A SEAT ABF in theory may have been treated better as the boy racers tend to go for the Golf GTI rather than SEAT.  Mine is out of a cordoba and its pretty much mint, most of the block paint is still on it and there was no corrosion on any of the waterpump/oil cooler fittings :cool:

I got mine from a breakers for £250, well matt did and delivered it to me and swapped for a huge pile of 2.0 8v gear!  A good source is knackered/MOT fail SEATs, they can be had for cheap if you shop around.

edit: bore is same on both :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2008, 15:48 »
Interesting stuff there mate. I'll have to check out my part numbers later. Pretty sure mines a late 9A as the Rado's on an M Plate. THe 9A in my passat however will be an early one as that's a 90 on an H plate.

Nick

Offline Jimmy16v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2008, 15:51 »
Awesome advice cheers guys  :grin:

rubjonny is it quite a straight forward conversion bear in mind I'm running a mk2 1.8 16v?  My gearbox is a cableshift from a rado 2.0 16v i think or maybe a 1.8 16v I forget!  my cousing sourced it from the scrappers for me.  Anyway what other things apart from the block re required?  I'm fairly new to this scene so forgive the amateur questions!  :rolleyes:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2008, 15:54 »
THey pretty much bolt straight in and you can use your KR inlet manifold, injection systems the works. I think the exhaust manifold should fit to.

Whereabouts are you? I've got a cmplete passat with 9a sat outside mine you can have for £250. Includes coilovers you could sell on ebay for £150!

nick

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2008, 16:01 »
aye if you already have a 1.8 kr its pretty much the easiest conversion you can do! just take out the 1.8 and fit inlet & sensors that differs onto the 2.0, easy.  Upper flange and thermostat housing will need swpping too if its an ABF, but leave all the alternator & coolant pipes on the block alone, its a much better system especially if you have PAS.

I did a running 1.8 16v KR to a running 2.0 ABF swap (using the existing mangment) in 10 hours the other weekend :)

edit: the reason it was so quick was I did as much prep work as I possibly could before hand, I spent many hours cleaning the block, replacing gaskets, belts etc.  All I had to do was literally lift out the old engine and drop in the new one pretty much.
« Last Edit: 31 October 2008, 16:03 by rubjonny »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.