Author Topic: Adjustable car ramps  (Read 14883 times)

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline Phil1980

• I live here
Re: Adjustable car ramps
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2010, 13:42 »
Not tried them but wouldn't fancy working under my car if it was on them would prefer a rigid ramp or make do with stands. 
MK5 2005 GTI, BLACK, 3 DR, 18" MONZA II, XENONS

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2010, 16:52 »
I expect they have a locking pin, also i would probably put stands under as well.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2010, 17:25 »
I have got a very similar set. Absolutely brilliant for working on the car.

I can drive my lowered Golf onto them with just the removal of the front spoiler (plastic thingy). Fully reaised they go higher than standard ramps which you cant drive onto. I use my battery impact wrench to wind them up and down which reduces any effort.

I would always still put axle stands under as well because the weight is held on the thread of the adjuster but some have locking pins. Much more stable than axle stands which I don't trust too much on their own.

They make working under the car much easier.

Paul

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2010, 18:30 »
Cheers Paul.
They do look good although expensive.
Where did you get yours from?

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2010, 23:41 »
They look really neat - but bloody expensive. I'm always trying to think of ways to get the car in the air, safely and as high as possible.

I've always fancied the idea of using the ramps that car dealerships use to display cars at the front of the forecourts - but can't help thinking that it isn't actually all that safe!

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2010, 23:46 »
Actually, go here ... and search in-line for "tilting" :evil:

http://www.cjautos.org.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/cjautos?opendocument&part=7

This is the more sensible purchase though http://www.cjautos.site90.net/hyramp.html
« Last Edit: 12 December 2010, 23:52 by Ben Lessani »

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 13 December 2010, 19:45 »
Cheers Paul.
They do look good although expensive.
Where did you get yours from?
I got mine secondhand from ebay.
I originally bought a set of new ramps that you drove onto and then removed the ramp section which left your wheels on a square section that you could raise up. I'm fairly certain that they were from the seller in your link, but after the payment they were never delivered and he never answered emails and his phone number was unobtainable. I eventually got hold of him via an advert in the Glasgow local pages and he was full of bullsh!t about why I hadn't received them and despite his assurances that they would arrive I had to get my money back via paypal. Sorry I didn't realise that this was the same bloke under a different user name when I originally posted.
So I bought a set like the ones shown secondhand via ebay. All the time I was looking I never saw a set below £100, nearly always about £150 ish.
Also looked at these
http://www.restorationramps.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/ramps?opendocument&part=3

http://www.jtproducts.co.uk/content.php?section=the_equipment

Would have liked a two or four post lift but would need to rebuild the garage to get it to fit in.  :evil:

Paul

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2010, 00:00 »
Thanks for the suggestions.
I've looked at the options, was just hoping to find something a bit cheaper  :grin:

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 14 December 2010, 09:39 »
if you ever do, update this thread, i like the idea of these things