Author Topic: 2012 MOT Changes - Chipped ECU’s  (Read 16186 times)

Offline RTechUK

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • R-TECH OFFICE 01455 617233
Re: 2012 MOT Changes - Chipped ECU’s
« Reply #30 on: 29 November 2010, 20:45 »
Can hardly see this being enforced ... it is impractical - just another idea that the tofs at the top devised over a round of fox hunting.

It cannot not be enforced full stop on current ecus, the only way they can do it is implant a brand new EOBD2 protocol on cars 2011> which the MOT tested can ID part of the ecus data which will be the software version and final checksumm, the tested will have a database to cross ref with and if the checksumm dont match then its a sign that there car is not running EU approved software code = epic fail x.  but if they can crack RSA keys I am sure there are hackers that could produce a patch to get around this.

The yanks use the current rediness which can be seen on vagcom, if one of the rediness setting fail then  the wont pass the car, but a good tuner can patch the ecu to change the rediness setting to get a pass.

R-Tech Customer Feedback / Reviews
http://r-techpower.co.uk/r-tech-feedback.php
VW AUDI SEAT SKODA 1.8T-1.9TDi -2.0TFSI  Tuners

01455 617233
http://sticky-vnt.co.uk Midlands

Offline dolphinfriendly1012

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #31 on: 30 November 2010, 15:16 »
I have just read through this as I am considering a remap after Christmas, but I too see that this will be nigh on impossible to enforce. If it is how are small garages going to afford the equipment, more business disappearing, tuners are either going to make a killing or again disappear. It seems to me as always the honest of us will be penalised and financially hammered while the others that don't give a f**k will drive there un mot'd sheds around anyway regardless of what new regulations there are and as the government won't spend money on police who's ever going to catch them, but will waste it on pointless checks on the mot. It needs to be focused more on brakes, suspension, tyres and structural interegity as these are what affects everyone's safety. All the power in the world aint woth s**t if you cant stop or stay on the road.
Thankyou rant over.

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
« Reply #32 on: 30 November 2010, 15:23 »
It needs to be focused more on brakes, suspension, tyres and structural interegity as these are what affects everyone's safety. All the power in the world aint woth s**t if you cant stop or stay on the road.
Thankyou rant over.

+1

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
  • too low for british roads!
« Reply #33 on: 01 January 2011, 13:30 »
be interesting to see how many ecu mapping failures have occured to warrant such a thing! as slick says bluefin and revo will be selling alot of selector+ switches to change between maps but i didnt realise that mapping stopped you accessing the ecu :undecided:

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 14 January 2011, 00:17 »
if they ban remapping   undetectable rempas will appear quite quickly the market is worth to much $$$ to just disapear
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline rich1977

• Here all the time
« Reply #35 on: 24 March 2011, 18:03 »
i have read somewhere but cant find it that engine conversions will be banned aswell aswell, was in performance bmw I think. (i know I feel dirty)
Www.Internet-ink.co.uk voucher code RL15 for 15% off all pens,toners and ink cartridges including cannon Epsom dell and hp.

Offline salsheikh

• Here all the time
« Reply #36 on: 24 March 2011, 20:44 »
i have read performance bmw . (i know I feel dirty)

GTFO  :angry:

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 05 April 2011, 14:26 »
i have read performance bmw . (i know I feel dirty)

GTFO  :angry:

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #38 on: 05 April 2011, 15:15 »
This is a load of bolllocks that wont ever see the light of day.

Offline RTechUK

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • R-TECH OFFICE 01455 617233
« Reply #39 on: 11 April 2011, 09:57 »
This is a load of bolllocks that wont ever see the light of day.

++++++11111111 :grin:

R-Tech Customer Feedback / Reviews
http://r-techpower.co.uk/r-tech-feedback.php
VW AUDI SEAT SKODA 1.8T-1.9TDi -2.0TFSI  Tuners

01455 617233
http://sticky-vnt.co.uk Midlands