Author Topic: mk4 gti 20v struggles to start when warm  (Read 14265 times)

Offline sushi

• Not said much yet
mk4 gti 20v struggles to start when warm
« on: 18 April 2010, 02:03 »
hey new here, first golf had it a couple of weeks. Got a strange problem

Starts first time everytime when its cold. Needle rises n sits just below 90

When i have driven it for a while and then say go shopping for 10 mins or something when I get back in it struggles to start. Sometimes I can start it by flooring the accelerator, sometimes wont start so have had to bump it or leave it till its cooled down.

Also when it does start the starter motor makes a loud cranking noise just after starting but this happens all the time.

Really annoying , anyone got any ideas or had a similar problem? cheers.

I have a few other gripes that I need clearing up so I'll be back lol  :laugh:

Offline delboy

• Not said much yet
Re: mk4 gti 20v struggles to start when warm
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2010, 17:05 »
hi there, sounds similar to my golf problem, mine works fine untill a certain temp is reached then cuts out and wont start...
ive been told its the crank senser(rpm senser) they sell them on ebay pretty cheap...

Offline sushi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2010, 16:09 »
Yeah except mine will never actually cut out whilst running. Runs perfect but sometimes won't start if it's turned off.

Anybody got a spare bonnet catch laying around?  My bonnet wont shut :( Took it off, cleaned it, wd40 the f out of it but to be honest it didnt actually look that rusty, just doesn't want to shut! 
Whats the electrical switch on there for ?
When I pull the bonnet lever there doesn't seem to be a great deal of movement at the catch. Is that normal ?  I could really do with looking at a working one I guess.

Offline sushi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2010, 01:51 »
ok, i know i said it never cut out whilst running but now it does. And it's got worse.
For the past two weeks it seemed as soon as it had warmed up it cut out.  Tonight though i got in and turned the ignition on whilst i ate some kfc. Ate for about 15-20 mins and went to start the car (completely cold, never not started before) and nothing. Turned over fine but didn't threaten to fire.  came back a few hours later and started fine first time. 
I'm a little lost to put it mildly! I'm now thinking maybe something to do with ignition module or a relay which could be getting too hot?  not the first experience of a golf i was hoping for!

↲Anyone recommend trying a relay? If so, what one? I know from browsing on here they were faulty a lot on the mk3's. Didn't see anything about mk4's though.

↲Any help greatly appreciated. :)
« Last Edit: 21 May 2010, 09:19 by sushi »

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2010, 11:02 »
Fuel pump relay?  :undecided:

Relays are underneath the steering wheel behind the trim.

Starter motor noise on start up fix:

http://www.montreal-vdubbing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43
« Last Edit: 22 May 2010, 11:05 by richw911 »

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2010, 15:50 »
Get the fault codes read and you'll most likely find "engine speed sensor - implausible signal" that's your crank sensor, vw call it an impulse sender. Don't buy a vehicle speed sensor by mistake.. that's the one that goes in the gearbox. The one you want goes on the front of the block on the right hand side. The part is around £70 from vw and is a fairly simple DIY job to fit.

Offline Dahmich

• GTI forum regular
  • OH HI!....I KNICKED THIS AVATAR..
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2010, 11:23 »
ok, i know i said it never cut out whilst running but now it does. And it's got worse.
For the past two weeks it seemed as soon as it had warmed up it cut out.  Tonight though i got in and turned the ignition on whilst i ate some kfc. Ate for about 15-20 mins and went to start the car (completely cold, never not started before) and nothing. Turned over fine but didn't threaten to fire.  came back a few hours later and started fine first time. 
I'm a little lost to put it mildly! I'm now thinking maybe something to do with ignition module or a relay which could be getting too hot?  not the first experience of a golf i was hoping for!

↲Anyone recommend trying a relay? If so, what one? I know from browsing on here they were faulty a lot on the mk3's. Didn't see anything about mk4's though.

↲Any help greatly appreciated. :)

crank sensor..deffo, mine had exactly the same problem. when it started, for the first couple of weeks, it was managable, but then just got to the point where i had to get towed home doe to the engine cutting out.
If Jesus Christ owned a rolling road and it was calibrated and tested by the three wise men you'd still get some jerk asking you to back up your figures, that's t'internet for ya

Offline sushi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2010, 13:16 »
Cheers, I've bought a cable off ebay so will hook it up on Monday/Tuesday and see what it says.

Will it definitely show up as a fault because it didn't when I paid a mechanic a few weeks ago.  (just came up with 17916 & 16711 which I don't think have any bearing)

Can you get a crank sensor from the scrapyard? Even if its just to see if it improves before buying a brand new one?

Thanks all. 

Been such a lovely weekend and I can't get further than 10 minutes away from home lol

Offline sushi

• Not said much yet

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2010, 13:53 »
16711 means dodgy knock sensor.. which may be causing your problems. Your mechanic didn't pick up on that?
The symptoms do still sound more like crank sensor though. Looks like this http://www.urotuning.com/shop/images/021957147.jpg

buy it from vw if it turns out you need one, not ebay.. you'll only be replacing it again in a month if you skimp.