Author Topic: 2.8 V6 4Motion Remap?  (Read 15284 times)

Offline banburyv6

• Not said much yet
2.8 V6 4Motion Remap?
« on: 22 January 2009, 15:31 »
Hiya,

Has anyone remapped a 2.8 4motion?  Is it worth doing?  (Also d'you reckon it would be included in the r-tech £150 special?  :smiley:)

I've heard that the power increase on paper isn't huge but the responsiveness is a big improvement, but would love to hear anyone's experiences.  Any noticable change to fuel economy?

Also - odd question, but after a re-map should you technically tell your insurance company that it's now a "modified" car?  And techicalities aside, does anyone actually tell them?!

Cheers,
Ed

Offline revo carl

• Not said much yet
Re: 2.8 V6 4Motion Remap?
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2009, 17:21 »
the 2.8's always give impressive results! you're right the power increase isn't massive but a good tuning company will give you a really good mid-range and throttle response!

Offline SO8

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2009, 10:50 »
I had AmD remap my V6 4motion back in 2001/2.  The guys who did that have moved on from AmD and are now effecively APS in Brackley.

I was very happy with the results.  The car went from 202 bhp as standard to 220bhp (before and after figures on the day). 

The difference was never going to be like remapping a turbo but I was surprised that I did feel the difference.  The throttle response was much sharper and the car felt freer revving with slightly more bite. I never regretted having it done and the car was faultless for the next 2 years. 

Oh, and you should tell your insurance company .... it is a modification.

Offline banburyv6

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2009, 11:46 »
Thanks for the info guys, I'll give it some thought.  I think I'd like to get it done but as in the eyes of the insurers it turns a completely standard car driven by a fairly sensible bloke into a "modified car" probably driven by a max power reader with a 21 inch sub in the boot and a penchant for burberry I guess I need to work out if it's worth the hassle!   :grin:

Offline IAN C

• Here all the time
  • GOLF MK6 2012
« Reply #4 on: 24 January 2009, 17:01 »
got mine and my mates booked in for the 9th of feb. been told is a good idea r tech guys have been really staight forward with what is gonna happen with the remmap,get in touch with them, get it done you wont be disapointed. :tongue:
GOLF MK6 tsi 2012

Offline RTechUK

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • R-TECH OFFICE 01455 617233
« Reply #5 on: 24 January 2009, 18:53 »
the 2.8's always give impressive results! you're right the power increase isn't massive but a good tuning company will give you a really good mid-range and throttle response!
+1

Like Revo Carl said not massive peak power gains. A good remap will give you Sharper / crisper throttle response, improved mid range power which will last longer in to the higher rpms.  A good way to see the results from the 2.8 4mo is to get it on the rolling road and compare the oem map against the tuned remap, the oem mapping is quite lame.  you dont want to be looking at the peak bhp graph, you need to be looking at the average bhp graph and text dyno data to really see how things have changed.  IMO getting it remapped will be worth the money and it will give you the grin factor.

We can offer the remapping service, with dyno runs which will include a full back to back text data & graph compaison along side the power runs avg power pulls.

Nik

R-Tech Customer Feedback / Reviews
http://r-techpower.co.uk/r-tech-feedback.php
VW AUDI SEAT SKODA 1.8T-1.9TDi -2.0TFSI  Tuners

01455 617233
http://sticky-vnt.co.uk Midlands

Offline banburyv6

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2009, 12:15 »
Thanks for the replies.  I'm going to give the insurance company a call to see what difference it makes to the premium.  If it's not huge I'll go for it.

Cheers,
Ed

Offline mk4luke

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2009, 13:48 »
just keep quiet :rolleyes:

Offline Revo Kev

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2009, 16:28 »
I've been more than impressed when I've done these in the past, you don't expect huge gains but the difference in drivibility is vast. Not only that but the 1st and 2nd gear limiters are removed. Well worth it.