Author Topic: stage 1 revo mk5 only giving 1.1 boost, should be 1.5????!!!!!  (Read 5704 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
Re: stage 1 revo mk5 only giving 1.1 boost, should be 1.5????!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2009, 21:18 »

1.1 bar = 15.9541512 PSI

Thats stock numbers (on an edition 30)

Im on stage1 and get around 23 PSI = 1.58579418 bar
Mine accoarding to my Vagcom logging data, (edition30) im pulling 1.8 Bar from my stage 1 Bluefin from 2500 to almost 6300rpm

The Bluefin map does request high boost readings looking at the data.

Sadly, that is the way that Superchips seem to work - hence why when Fifth Gear asked them to do some specific work on a normally aspirated car, they just made it worse!

With 1.8 bar being constantly requested, I seriously hope your piggy bank is 'new turbo size'.  They do have a known history for toasting turbos . . .
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 03 September 2009, 22:38 »
Sadly, that is the way that Superchips seem to work - hence why when Fifth Gear asked them to do some specific work on a normally aspirated car, they just made it worse!

With 1.8 bar being constantly requested, I seriously hope your piggy bank is 'new turbo size'.  They do have a known history for toasting turbos . . .

I'm surprised about the comments regarding Superchips, I was thinking about using them as a) they are involved with the VW Racing, so assumed they had expertise in the VW range of engines and b) with bluefin I can be in charge of my own destiny and remove the mappings whenever I feel the need (without having to go back to a garage).

Not claiming to be an expert in anything mechanical, is this high boost issue only present under full acceleration?  99% of the time I'll be poodling along.
Current:
2018 RS4  - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Offline bacillus

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 03 September 2009, 22:59 »
Steve's 1.8 bar value is wrong as he didn't subtract the ambient atmospheric pressure from the VCDS absolute boost pressure.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #13 on: 03 September 2009, 23:06 »

I'm surprised about the comments regarding Superchips, I was thinking about using them as a) they are involved with the VW Racing, so assumed they had expertise in the VW range of engines

Jeeeeeezz.  Search this forum - seriously!

Firstly, Superchips do NOT have anything to do with VW Racing - appart from paying shed loads of money to have their name on the side of all the cars in the VW Racing Cup.  They do NOT do the tuning on the cars - they are all free to use whoever they like, and most will use either Revo, GIAC, or VWRs own map.  Superchips have, in the past (I can't comment about now, because I can't be arsed with them) - been known to blatantly LIE and mislead on their own website.

Secondly, they do NOT have expertise in VW engines.  The Fifth Gear test used either a Mk4 Golf or a Mk4 Polo (can't remember which) - Fifth Gear specifically instructed Superchips to create a 'specific' custom map, and they actually made it WORSE!.  Look on Superchips website - and you will see they 'claim' to be experts in every single car in the UK - from a Mk5 GTI - to a Lada Riva, to a Proton Wira, to a Perodua Nippa - so how the fcuk can they claim to be experts on VAG products.  Superchips have been repeatedly proven to be blatantly underdeveloped, and often make LESS power than stock - just log onto Audi-Sport.net, and as the S3 owners, and indeed, some Ed30 owners here also had probs with less power than claimed.  Superchips use a very 'dangerous' method of 'remaping' - by simply whacking up the turbo boost to levels which verge on the extreme - but don't bother to work on any of the other 30 or so tables within the ECU map!  :rolleyes:

and b) with bluefin I can be in charge of my own destiny and remove the mappings whenever I feel the need (without having to go back to a garage).

And you can can with REVO and GIAC - and with REVO - ANYONE who has the SPS switch can alter your settings (all within the map already loaded on your ECUs flash EEPROM) - whereas the Bluefin is 'locked' to your own car - and each time you use the Bluefin device, you are physically 'reflashing' the ECU.

Not claiming to be an expert in anything mechanical, is this high boost issue only present under full acceleration?  99% of the time I'll be poodling along.

WHENEVER the engine is under load - so anything apart from traveling downhill - when the revs are above around 2000 rpm, then the turbo is always supplying some boost.  Obviously, the more 'load' you put on the engine, the more boost will be requested.  Now being as boost 'demand', and 'actual' boost are entirely under the control of the map on the ECU - it is very easy for unscrupolous 'tuners' to simply crank up the boost to compensate for lack of 'abilities' of the other file tables!
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Saint Steve

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 04 September 2009, 06:10 »
did you get a screendump of vc scope of that steve? or even the tables will do... would be interesting to see!
I mis-calculated, its actually 1.2/1.3 :embarassed:

sorry chaps