Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2787410 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #4300 on: 22 April 2016, 18:18 »
^^^
Is it the case that the solid non metallic or non pearl colours don't tend to need blending into other panels?  Maybe that would explain the bonnet standing out like a sore thumb.

By contrast I had a passenger from wing resprayed on my mk6 and, being metallic that was blended into adjacent panels and the repair was seemless, in any light you could not tell it from the rest of the car, and I checked very thoroughly.  If my door ding can't be smart repaired I might be looking at a part respray on the door but have no qualms about having it done by the bodyshop that did my mk6.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4301 on: 22 April 2016, 18:37 »
Thanks Dave, at least you could blame someone else though!

I'm sure I could get s smart repair done cheaper but for it to look 100% the bumper needs to come off and a full panel spray. It may come out a little cheaper, they always quote for worst case scenario which I think is the honest wat to do it. Often jobs work out less in the end. But, bottom line is having faith in them which is worth a lot in itself.

Having previous history of a red car ( And deep down probably the reason I have never had another) I think I would go down the smart repair route on that. If you have the whole wing painted even if they match the paint perfectly, it will stick out like a sore thumb under street lights and look a whole lot worse than it actually is. I had some deep scratchs, about 3 or 4 around 3" long on the leading edge of a bonnet and they sprayed the whole bonnet. It looked fine in daylight but at night ....:sick: :sick:
In the end it Peed me off so much I got rid !!
Gutted for you and genuinely hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction  :smiley:

That's honest but not helping :cry:

To be honest i wasn't sure whether to post or not but just wanted to let you know what could happen so you might think again  :embarrassed:

Perhaps I'll have a chat with the garage before dropping it off. Could it be that it was more obvious on the bonnet due to the large flat area meaning that a vertical area won't be such an issue? Despite your posting causing me palpatations, I do appreciate your input. :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #4302 on: 22 April 2016, 19:31 »
Red and black are two of the hardest flat colours to match.

I got my CC back from the repairers on Wednesday and going by the job done Oryx white must be easy to blend in because they got the paint spot on.

There are some other issues with the work done and they for some reason thought the car needed an extended test drive because it had 47 miles extra on it and the below in one of my Cup 2's

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #4303 on: 22 April 2016, 19:35 »
In contrast to the bad experience above, I had a wing replaced, after the passenger door got blown past the stop on my Tornado Red Mk 5. The repair shop did a top job, metal and paint. You could not tell anything had happened, day or night! Bodytech in Lincoln, if that helps anyone. Such a good job done, I took them a case of beer!  :laugh:
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4304 on: 22 April 2016, 20:05 »
In contrast to the bad experience above, I had a wing replaced, after the passenger door got blown past the stop on my Tornado Red Mk 5. The repair shop did a top job, metal and paint. You could not tell anything had happened, day or night! Bodytech in Lincoln, if that helps anyone. Such a good job done, I took them a case of beer!  :laugh:

Thanks for that! Since my car is still young perhaps it will all be okay. Having thought it over, I'm going to stick with my plan as I'm not convinced I'll be happy with a smart repair by an unknown quantity. As said, I trust my garage and they did a cracking job on my OH's old silver Lupo. Like you, if all goes well I shall donate a case of beer (to me though with a giant bag of crisps) :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #4305 on: 22 April 2016, 20:08 »
My colour match was spot on in daylight. But under streetlights it was a couple of shades darker than the rest of the car making it look far worse than the reality of a couple of scratches on the front edge.
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4306 on: 22 April 2016, 20:20 »
My colour match was spot on in daylight. But under streetlights it was a couple of shades darker than the rest of the car making it look far worse than the reality of a couple of scratches on the front edge.

That is a worry but the repair has to be done so I'll just cross my fingers, hold my breath and count to 100. Perhaps the new led street lights will help? The colour balance of the old ones was horrendous. I don't know if it will go okay but ultimately there are millions of red cars and they must have prangs now and then. I'm confident if there were concerns my garage would've forewarned me. I've been having cars serviced and repaired there since the early nineties.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #4307 on: 22 April 2016, 20:56 »
I'm sure you will  be fine :smiley:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4308 on: 22 April 2016, 21:58 »
I'm sure you will  be fine :smiley:

Cheers JB :smiley:

If not I can always get the whole car painted...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4309 on: 23 April 2016, 08:33 »
If the body shop do a proper job you shouldn't see any differences in any light so don't worry. If you get it back and you're not happy tell them on the day. Is it going to an approved VW place?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.