Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2787546 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #4110 on: 29 March 2016, 18:53 »
Bought myself a personal registration to be used when the 66 plate comes out in September.
It's my first one but my current plate doesn't exactly stand out :whistle:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4111 on: 29 March 2016, 19:05 »
The Mk7 side crease is an attractive feature, but so vulnerable.

Opposite extreme, I guess, are those plastic panels on the side of that Citroen thingy. Not vulnerable, but soooooo unattractive! You'd rather have a dent, wouldn't you?  :sick:

Well no, I'd rather not have a debt at all, lol.  But I know what you mean and they would just look ridiculous on a mk7.  Though I'm thinking of fashioning my own and sticking them on whenever I have the terror of parking in a supermarket car park.  :laugh:

The Mk7 side crease is an attractive feature, but so vulnerable.

Opposite extreme, I guess, are those plastic panels on the side of that Citroen thingy. Not vulnerable, but soooooo unattractive! You'd rather have a dent, wouldn't you?  :sick:

Yeah, the sides of newer cars are much more vulnerable to door dings now and the crease in the MK7 Golf makes it even worse!

Think back to the MK5 Golf... it had plastic colour coded mouldings down the sides of the car, so this sort of damage was less likely to happen or certainly the consequences were much less severe! Worse case scenario, you'd have to repaint the door moulding which is a hell of a lot easier than repainting the door.

I never minded the plastic bump strips on my two mk5 GTIs, but times move on and I wouldn't want them now, and the current Golf design is all about razor sharp creases, which makes it all the worse when you have a bloody dent in the middle of one!

I have had the deluxe repair job rough quote (car unseen) which is from KDS Keltec - a 'proper' place that would sort the dent, paint an area of the door, blending into surrounding areas, and re-lacquer the whole door - somewhere between £300-£500!  :shocked:  Which is very similar job and price to a previous repair I had done on a my mk6 when someone left a dent in the wheel arch crease but I went that route then as there was other damage that needed body shop work.

So I'm going to pursue the PDR route now.  So if it's a chip and a dent - am I looking at PDR repair first followed by smart repair?  PDR seem to do only that and not touching up of chips.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline vw spur

• Here all the time
« Reply #4112 on: 29 March 2016, 19:50 »
@Booth11, I feel for your pain having this happen to your car, especially as you take great pride in keeping your car in pristine condition, there's far too many careless idiots around these days.

I hope either the car owner or the passenger responsible has agreed to cough up for the repair costs??
Collected 09/04/16 : Golf GTD Carbon Grey Sport & Sound Pack DSG Pro Nav Dynaudio Rear Camera High Beam Assist 90% Tints

Still pining for:2009 BMW 330i M Sport Convertible

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4113 on: 29 March 2016, 20:15 »
@Booth11, I feel for your pain having this happen to your car, especially as you take great pride in keeping your car in pristine condition, there's far too many careless idiots around these days.

I hope either the car owner or the passenger responsible has agreed to cough up for the repair costs??

I got the driver's details but I've phoned the number a few times today but no reply.  Tbh, I'm not hopeful, he didn't offer them I had to ask and seemed a bit funny.  In retrospect I should've made a note of their reg number but forgot!
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4114 on: 29 March 2016, 20:49 »
If it was mine I'd be going to a vw approved bodyshop and getting it done properly. With your car being so new it's worth the extra money in my opinion. You also keep your paint warranty fully intact.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4115 on: 30 March 2016, 10:12 »
Took it on a work site trip to the seaside.

« Last Edit: 30 March 2016, 10:16 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #4116 on: 30 March 2016, 10:20 »

Is that white van man getting back into his van to park it right beside you?

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4117 on: 30 March 2016, 11:32 »

Is that white van man getting back into his van to park it right beside you?

Haha! No I was guarding that area with my life! :laugh:  But about 1 min after I took the pics, a people carrier parked in the next but one space, ruining my photo opportunity. :angry:  At least they left a space between us but still there was a whole car park to choose from! :rolleyes:

I was on a site visit to this place which is part of one of the Country Parks I manage.  Got an improvement project in progress there so doing daily site visits with engineers atm. Usually there's too many cars parked in the way but this morning it was pretty empty so grabbed a quick snap with my phone.  Shame I didn't have my DSLR or CSC camera with me but needs must.  Car if filthy too but who cares, lol. 

It's Reculver Towers, a Scheduled Ancient Monument and is also the place they tested the 'Dambusters' bouncing bomb out over the sea.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2016, 11:43 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Diehammer

• Here all the time
« Reply #4118 on: 30 March 2016, 13:33 »
I bought a Vax Gator 18v for cleaning the car.
Golf GTD MK7 5 door Manual, Carbon Grey, Keyless Entry, Rear View Camera.

Ordered 26/02/15  Build Week Confirmed 24/04/15 (BW21) Stage 5a 19/05/15 Stage 5b 21/05/15 Stage 5c 29/05/15 Stage 6 02/06/15 Stage 7 04/06/15 Pick Up 06/06/15

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4119 on: 30 March 2016, 14:02 »
I bought a Metro Vac & Blo of ebay . Used but looks in good condition and was £75.
I think it's missing a few bits and bobs so I need to have a look and see if accessories are available :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16