Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 654408 times)

Offline VWhitehawk

• GTI forum regular
  • Candy White 2009 GTI
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2660 on: 19 June 2015, 17:29 »
Collected the torque wrench and nylon coated sockets, ready to take the wheels off on Sunday for a good clean inside the alloys before a busy few weekends showing her off, Goodwood festival of Speed, GTI International and Trax all in quick succession hoping a good clean will result in an easy time keeping on top of it all!   :whistle:

Offline Medic1281

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2661 on: 19 June 2015, 23:10 »
Remapped my gtd with a carbon remap  :laugh: :laugh:
2013 Audi Q5, 3.0tdi Quattro. Carbonchip remap. Black.

Offline VWhitehawk

• GTI forum regular
  • Candy White 2009 GTI
« Reply #2662 on: 21 June 2015, 17:57 »
Cleaned, sealed and waxed. good to go again!

Now ready for Goodwood festival of speed, GTI International and Trax!

Offline AntGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2663 on: 21 June 2015, 18:07 »
Full service by my local VW garage for a massive £199. I normally carry out my own servicing but my warranty specifically stating servicing must be done by a garage :(
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD 180(ish) Reflex Silver with loads of stuff

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2664 on: 21 June 2015, 18:57 »
@VWhitehawk - car looks immaculate.  Nice pic flaunting the yellow fogs  :cool:

Had to give mine an emergency rinse down after the local seagulls used it for mega target practice whilst parked up in the multi-storey today.   :angry:  Then discovered the jet washer has a big split in the hose so need to get a replacement one.  Second time this week birds have hit it.  On Thurs they crapped all over it whilst at work and it had baked on in the sun.  I had to drive home at lunch and sort it out. Unfortunately it's etched the paint in 3 places.  One patch has hand polished out but the others will need going over with the DA. Hope that sorts it  :sad: 

Also today, service indicator flashed up so needs to be booked in at VW for 3rd service (last one under my ownership).
« Last Edit: 21 June 2015, 18:59 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline VWhitehawk

• GTI forum regular
  • Candy White 2009 GTI
« Reply #2665 on: 21 June 2015, 19:20 »
Haha, yeah I thought Id get a cheeky one of those in there whilst messing around with the GoPro, oh i hate seagulls with a passion also tree sap can be just as bad.

oh no, hope its now a major service that will hurt before getting the R

may sound stupid but DA?

@VWhitehawk - car looks immaculate.  Nice pic flaunting the yellow fogs  :cool:

Had to give mine an emergency rinse down after the local seagulls used it for mega target practice whilst parked up in the multi-storey today.   :angry:  Then discovered the jet washer has a big split in the hose so need to get a replacement one.  Second time this week birds have hit it.  On Thurs they crapped all over it whilst at work and it had baked on in the sun.  I had to drive home at lunch and sort it out. Unfortunately it's etched the paint in 3 places.  One patch has hand polished out but the others will need going over with the DA. Hope that sorts it  :sad: 

Also today, service indicator flashed up so needs to be booked in at VW for 3rd service (last one under my ownership).

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2666 on: 21 June 2015, 19:31 »
Haha, yeah I thought Id get a cheeky one of those in there whilst messing around with the GoPro, oh i hate seagulls with a passion also tree sap can be just as bad.

oh no, hope its now a major service that will hurt before getting the R

may sound stupid but DA?

Dual Action polisher  :smiley:  That, with a bit of Lime Prime on a medium spot pad should bring it out, but bird etching can be a real bugger and sometimes even polishing doesn't do it.  Will have to try and find time to have a go at it one evening after work this week.

I never park anywhere near trees if I can help it.

I have one more service covered on Service Plan (I think) so should be ok. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #2667 on: 22 June 2015, 19:01 »
fr the older members that remember

well today i did just that, with the bonnet, whilst making progress to work !

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

There wasnt much left, but thankfully the bonnet seems undamaged, an couple of inches either way and it it would have gone thru the grill or direct hit on the screen

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2668 on: 22 June 2015, 19:45 »
^^
 :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Nice work Dick.  Now if you and your trusty sidekick Muttley can just take out those pesky seagulls that keep crapping all over mine.... :laugh: :laugh:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2669 on: 22 June 2015, 21:44 »
Took it to the dealers for its 4 year service and 2nd MOT, with instructions to the dealer to not wash my car and inflict swirls in my freshly machine-polished paintwork!  :grin:

Had a courtesy car for the day; not the usual base spec Polo or Up! that I was expecting, but a mk7 Golf GTD with only 800 miles on the clock. Nice to have one for the whole day for an 'extended test drive' to be able to compare it my mk6 GTD. I'd not driven a mk7 before today; my thoughts on the mk7;

Ride and handling; the handling is certainly sharper than the mk6; especially noticeable on roundabouts, and on the twisty bits. Ride quality on the standard 18's seemed very similar to my mk6 on 18's.

Fuel consumption; over the same 30 mile journey in very similar traffic conditions from my home to the dealers, the MFD was indicating my mk6 was better than the mk7 by around 5 mpg, although with only 800 miles on the clock, the mk7 wouldn't be fully loosened up yet.

Interior; the mk7 does feel more 'premium' than the mk6, although I didn't like the shiny black trim on the centre console and around the instrumentation dials in the mk7. The cloth seats were very comfy, but not quite as hip-hugging as the mk6 versions. I prefer the chunkier steering wheel in my car to the slimmer one in the mk7. All in all, the interior felt pretty well screwed together, although there were some annoying rattles and vibrations from the dashboard and the driver's door card which spoiled the overall effect; I may have been lucky, but my mk6 has rarely rattled in 4 years. Instrumentation illumination in the mk7 looks much more impressive than the mk6.

Sound quality from the non-Dynaudio sound system was pretty good compared to the Dynaudio RCD510 in my mk6. I'd like to have heard the mk7 Dynaudio system to see how it compares to the mk6.

Overall, I really liked it. Would I buy one? It would certainly be on the shortlist, but I would need to see what else is available when the time comes to change.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl