Author Topic: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread  (Read 789319 times)

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
Re: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread
« Reply #960 on: 17 September 2015, 07:50 »
Hey guys i have a question regarding indicators. I love my rear indicator mod, i think its the best, but I was wondering is there a way to do something to the fronts as well? I know its just a bulb in the GTI but what I mean is, is there a way to make the wing mirror and front indicator blink alternatively?

Currently they both blink at the same time if you understand me.

2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline adamgroves

• Not said much yet
« Reply #961 on: 17 September 2015, 13:18 »
Hi DV52,

Is there a way to contact you directly regarding this? my email is

I know that other people with a GT have fitted Ed's lights with any issue and no coding.

I'm aware of the Leuchte adaptation channels. I have the dimmwert and dimming direction configured as you suggest for the Leuchte TFL channels but it still throws this error.

Ed's lights actually have the wink function built into the headlight so the headlight automatically dims the DRLS when indicating regardless of the coding. I've tried both the coding for the wink and without and both ways throws an error.

I've also tried swapping the control boards over within the headlight units that control this and the problem persists with the left headlight so it makes me think its coding as opposed to headlight fault.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'adaptation channel map of the BCM on your car since making the VCDS changes' but i have a full scan i can send you if that would help.

« Last Edit: 13 June 2016, 15:27 by adamgroves »
2013 GT TDI DSG : Black : 18in Santiago Reps : Golf R Mirrors : Golf R Spoiler : LED Rear lights : GTD Sideskirts : DTUK CRD-T

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #962 on: 18 September 2015, 01:05 »
Hi DV52,

Is there a way to contact you directly regarding this? my email is adam_groves@hotmail.com

I know that other people with a GT have fitted Ed's lights with any issue and no coding.

I'm aware of the Leuchte adaptation channels. I have the dimmwert and dimming direction configured as you suggest for the Leuchte TFL channels but it still throws this error.

Ed's lights actually have the wink function built into the headlight so the headlight automatically dims the DRLS when indicating regardless of the coding. I've tried both the coding for the wink and without and both ways throws an error.

I've also tried swapping the control boards over within the headlight units that control this and the problem persists with the left headlight so it makes me think its coding as opposed to headlight fault.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'adaptation channel map of the BCM on your car since making the VCDS changes' but i have a full scan i can send you if that would help.
Adam: OK sounds strange! I'm less familiar with E'd lights as I am with Leuchte programming, so I assume that you are convinced that there are no compatibility issues with the fitting.

Adaptation maps are very different to auto-scan reports albeit they do contain some common data. Admaps look much deeper into the control module's DNA - basically admaps provide a complete listing of all the adaptation channels and their associated settings in the control module. Once created, I find them a very useful way of understanding the behaviour of a control module without the need to have a VCDS cable connected to the vehicle (i.e. the analysis can be done in front of a PC/Laptop). But the best part is that admaps are particularly useful for MQB platform vehicles, because cars like the mk7 rely so heavily on adaptation channel (unlike its predessor the mk6).

This is why I still think that it may be useful to compare the Leuchte channel settings on your car with other, similar mk7s. To do this, you will need to make an adaptation map for the BCM on your car. It's not difficult to do, but it can take a long time because the VCDS software needs to poll all the possible adaptation channels on the BCM. As you probably already know, the mk7 has at least 1,700 channels and some 2nd generation versions that I have seen contain around 2,000 channels

The point of me saying this is to stress that if you start the process of making a BCM admap, make sure that the car's battery is fully charged, or that the car is running throughout the process. And please don't interrupt the procedure once its started - just wait for the polling to finish and for the software to create the file. On my Aussie version mk7, creating a BCM admap can take around 40 minutes to complete!

I wrote a short primer some time ago that explains why it is useful to create a complete database of the 3,000-ish adaptation channels in a mk7. It contains instructions for creating a BCM admap. You can download my paper from this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3n45u3lwbu9d4hy/Adaptation%20database.pdf?dl=0

The second option is to search "adaptation channel map" on the Ross Tech web site. I think that RT's instructions are clearer, so this might be the better option!

Just as an example of the value of admaps when used for comparing settings with other vehicles, I (try) to maintain an Excel spreadsheet that compares the BCMs from numerous mk7s from around the world. The underlying data for this spreadsheet comes from BCM admaps that forum colleagues generously provide. You can download a copy of my BCM compare spreadsheet from the link below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rlmezc5ethqc51k/BCM_Compare_8_2.xlsx?dl=0

Not sure if you are comfortable parsing .CSV files into Excel spreadsheets, and with using MS ACCESS to integrate information, but once you have the admap from your car, you can add the data to my spreadsheet and you can make your own comparison. Or, I can do it for you

Anyhow, hope this helps
Don
PS: I've sent you my email details
« Last Edit: 18 September 2015, 01:29 by dv52 »
103TSI Highline ROW (my13)

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #963 on: 18 September 2015, 07:44 »
Here is a link to the ADP map of my car for comparison (well a few controller but including 09):

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktion/Attachment.html?attachmentId=740207

Creating ADP map in VCDS is dead simple.... click on Applications (in main screen), then controller channel map, tick both measuring values and adaptations, change the setting to CSV, type in 09 in the controller access field and if you want (don't need to) 31347 in the login field.

Then click GO and wait for 20-30 minutes for all to be downloaded.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline adamgroves

• Not said much yet
« Reply #964 on: 18 September 2015, 08:55 »
DV52 / itavaltalainen.

Both really helpful post, thank you.

The ADP map function is such a useful function, thank you.
2013 GT TDI DSG : Black : 18in Santiago Reps : Golf R Mirrors : Golf R Spoiler : LED Rear lights : GTD Sideskirts : DTUK CRD-T

Offline roy2535

• Just got here
« Reply #965 on: 30 September 2015, 20:22 »
Hey guys,

I've tried to apply the ECS OFF mod and have attempted to do so multiple times without success. I've read through the guides posted on several forums even watched the videos posted by the members several times to make sure I nailed everything down to the details. Now I live in Hong Kong (ROW version) and after looking at my the VCDS on my laptop, I have noticed several differences in VDS which I will point out. I have also attached a screen shot below.

-At the top left hand box which shows the main screen of the "03-ABS Brakes" window, I noticed that the VAG Number s different.
-Inside "Coding - 07", some of the long coding bytes seems to be different.
-Inside "Long Coding Helper", there are three lines of message in red font which I do not see in the screens shot posted by other members of the forums. I wonder if our cars have some additional software lock, so to speak, compared to cars in other markets.

Now I understand there are some differences between our cars, being in different markets and all, but I am wondering if anyone with more experience and knowledge of VCDS could shed some light on this. Perhaps some other bytes have to be modified as well? Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Offline roy2535

• Just got here
« Reply #966 on: 30 September 2015, 20:24 »
To add on my previous post, I've also tried several VCDS mods which involve the modifications of the Long Coding, such as auto recirculation of the AC, to no avail. I have long suspected that the differences come down to different bytes inside Long Coding....

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #967 on: 01 October 2015, 00:52 »
Hey guys,

I've tried to apply the ECS OFF mod and have attempted to do so multiple times without success. I've read through the guides posted on several forums even watched the videos posted by the members several times to make sure I nailed everything down to the details. Now I live in Hong Kong (ROW version) and after looking at my the VCDS on my laptop, I have noticed several differences in VDS which I will point out. I have also attached a screen shot below.

-At the top left hand box which shows the main screen of the "03-ABS Brakes" window, I noticed that the VAG Number s different.
VCDS simply reports what's in the control module that you selected. The VAG Number in the box is the part/software number that's stamped onto the ABS control module in your car. Yes, there will be different part numbers for different versions of the mk7 depending on the individual brake components in the car. There will also be lots of mk7 where the only difference is the last digit (which is an alphabetic character). This just signifies the version number for the part.

-Inside "Coding - 07", some of the long coding bytes seems to be different.
Again, this is not unusual. The coding string values for each version of the mk7 depends on individual component that have been installed on the car. For the ABS, for example the type of brake booster determines what code is entered and so does the installation of an Electronic Parking brake (as distinct from a normal mechanical brake).

-Inside "Long Coding Helper", there are three lines of message in red font which I do not see in the screens shot posted by other members of the forums.
The "three line message" simply indicates that the special support file for the Long Coding Helper that displays the BIT functions hasn't been developed for the VCDS version that you are using. Nevertheless, changing the value of a byte/bit in the coding string is still possible though. This is done by copying the code in the CURRENT CODING box (top RHS screen in your post) to the clipboard and pasting it into the NEW CODING box. Then manually enter the new bit value into the correct byte (remember that byte numbering starts with 0 - from the LHS). A word of caution when you make these changes -be careful selecting the correct byte and always (repeat, always) keep a copy of the original code somewhere because you may need to roll-back the setting if the tweak goes pear-shaped!

I wonder if our cars have some additional software lock, so to speak, compared to cars in other markets.

Now I understand there are some differences between our cars, being in different markets and all, but I am wondering if anyone with more experience and knowledge of VCDS could shed some light on this. Perhaps some other bytes have to be modified as well? Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Roy: Greetings.
First, I note that you are using an outdated version of VCDS software. The version that's displayed in your pics can indicated a pirate cable. Are you using such a device? If so, then the performance of your cable is commensurate with the value of the product! If you are using a genuine Ross Tech cable, then you should update the software to the current version - which has much better support for the mk7
Cheers
Don
PS: See my response to your specific questions above
« Last Edit: 01 October 2015, 07:38 by dv52 »

Offline Optimus prime

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #968 on: 04 October 2015, 14:05 »
Anyone managed to get there rear led cluster on with just drl's?  I have coded the module

(04) Daytime running lights-Standlicht aktiviert zusaetzlich Tagfahrlicht to Active but they are still off :angry:

Help pls

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #969 on: 04 October 2015, 15:02 »
Anyone managed to get there rear led cluster on with just drl's?  I have coded the module

(04) Daytime running lights-Standlicht aktiviert zusaetzlich Tagfahrlicht to Active but they are still off :angry:

Help pls

Optus prime: Hi! Not sure if you have seen the Stemei tweak instructions, but they suggest that the appropriate adaptation channel is:
(6)-Daytime running lights-Tagfahrlicht-Dauerfahrlicht aktiviert zusaetzlich Standlicht
set to active
See this link:
http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/vw-golf-7/tagfahrlicht-mit-rueckleuchten.php
« Last Edit: 04 October 2015, 15:14 by dv52 »