Author Topic: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread  (Read 789378 times)

Offline Sizmore

• Just got here
Re: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread
« Reply #700 on: 24 February 2015, 08:49 »
Hi, is there anyone in the peterborough/stamford area who would be willing to do a few mods for beer/cash.

Many thanks

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #701 on: 24 February 2015, 09:45 »
Interesting about the sign recognition!

I went off to see what else I could find about the relationship between the object spotting camera and the radar unit.

I found this:

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/repurpose-automotive-radar-for-uav-ugv?id=705844%3ATopic%3A994731&page=1#comments

Lots of interesting snippets in there - including the answer as to why a dinked ACC sensor from a small front end prang will cost you a fortune to have "aligned", although I should guessed this answer before.

PS if the R2D2 (lol) camera is present in all cars with ACC (ie all GTi/GTD/R's in the UK!) can high beam assist also be coded? I think it probably can...
« Last Edit: 24 February 2015, 09:48 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #702 on: 24 February 2015, 11:17 »
PS if the R2D2 (lol) camera is present in all cars with ACC (ie all GTi/GTD/R's in the UK!) can high beam assist also be coded? I think it probably can...

Fred: Hi - R2D2 is an apt analogy, good connection!!

Yes, if your mk7 has ACC, then it MUST have the R242 unit and you should have the control module recorded in your auto-scan report at address A5 (as per my previous post). 

My understanding (again from VW's material) is that whilst R242 provides a signal for adaptive cruise control, it is solely responsible for the functions "high beam assist" (which VW calls - main beam assist), dynamic light assist (DLA) and traffic sign detection (TSD). However, the installation or activation of these functions is an optional extra.

But, for main beam assist to work, you must have the main beam assist control unit -J844. This module is tucked-in behind the rear vision mirror where the R242 camera is housed.  "Main beam assist" is the anglicised term for the original word, Fernlichtassistent (in German), so VW also use the acronym FLA when referring to this function.

Of course, for dynamic light assist you also need to have the special bi-xenon headlight assemblies. These are real neat because they have a group of individually moveable screens which can be swivelled into the light cone cast by the main beam lamp. 
« Last Edit: 24 February 2015, 11:44 by dv52 »
103TSI Highline ROW (my13)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #703 on: 24 February 2015, 11:32 »
Ok, so HBA is only possible with the camera (Mk7 with ACC = CHECK!) but also with the controller module J844.

HBA was a relatively cheap option (I have it!) so I thought, logically, it was just a software enable, but it seems not.

Good work though DV52, even if I never do any of this I find your technical stuff really interesting (I like technical stuff!)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #704 on: 24 February 2015, 12:19 »
Ok, so HBA is only possible with the camera (Mk7 with ACC = CHECK!) but also with the controller module J844.

HBA was a relatively cheap option (I have it!) so I thought, logically, it was just a software enable, but it seems not.

Good work though DV52, even if I never do any of this I find your technical stuff really interesting (I like technical stuff!)

Fred: I apologise for not being clearer in my writing. I'm not saying that you don't have the HBA control module (you might have one already installed in your car with your existing R242 unit).  I don't know how VW fits-out your UK cars.

As for software, you could start by looking at my spreadsheet. I've posted up a full set of adaptation maps for the Body Control Module (BCM - or 09-Cent Electr.) for a number of different mk7 models - both "Rest of World" (ROW) and "North American Region" (NAR). However, none of the cars in my spreadsheet are from the UK - sorry. You will find my spreadsheet on the link below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgh6og73xhaw0cw/BCM_09_Compare_4.xlsx?dl=0

It is best if you download the spreadsheet to your own PC because dropbox seems to not be able to properly display my formatting. Anyhow, if you look at the entries in my spreadsheet around ID 120-136, you will find the pertinent adaptation channels (you might need to do some German translation).  I assume that you have an admap for the BCM on your car. Just a matter of experimenting - I reckon (unless someone else here can provide the actual VCDS tweak instructions)!!
« Last Edit: 24 February 2015, 12:46 by dv52 »

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #705 on: 25 February 2015, 23:16 »
REGARDING MY PREVIOUS POST #698 -  I JUST RECEIVED A PM FROM A COLLEAGUE ON ANOTHER FORUM (THANKS FOR THIS).
I'VE BEEN ADVISED THAT IN THE UK, THE MK7 SPEC ALLOWS THE ACC TO OPERATE WITHOUT THE FRONT CAMERA INSTALLED. I WASN'T AWARE OF THIS AND THERE IS NO MENTION OF THIS IN THE VW MATERIAL THAT I HAVE. MY APPOLGY FOR THE MIS-INFORMATION

Offline gelocatil

• Just got here
« Reply #706 on: 26 February 2015, 00:37 »
Anyone knows where codes the "MODE" button if retrofitted? can gateway or cent elect?
Thanks

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #707 on: 26 February 2015, 15:51 »
No worries DV52 - i think we should be clear that for UK owners you need the Lane Assist camera and sat-nav to operate sign recognition.

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #708 on: 03 March 2015, 16:09 »
Has anyone tried the VCDS coding for teardrops wipers (front and read) as described on here and can confirm that it works? I've tried the coding on my GTI and it doesn't seem to work.

Also any luck with Rain closing coding for keyless cars? I have also done the coding as described here and it doesn't work. Have read that it only works on non-keyless cars.

And finally has anyone managed to figure out what the heated seats adaptation channels mean? I want to set the temperature a bit higher for the first setting on the dash button as I can't really feel the seat getting warmer unless it's on at least setting 2.

I can see that there are about 6 levels in the adaptation channels but only 3 settings on the dashboard for heated seats. I have translated most of them with online translators and it seems there is an "upper" and "lower" threshold for each of the 6 levels as described below:

(1)-Driver seat heater level current consumption allocation-Sitzheizung Stufe 1 untere Schaltschwelle
(Translation: Seat heating stage 1 lower switching threshold) def. value: 21.50 ∞C
(2)-Driver seat heater level current consumption allocation-Sitzheizung Stufe 1 obere Schaltschwelle     
(Translation: Seat heating Level 1 Upper threshold) Def. value: 22.50 ∞C
(3)-Driver seat heater level current consumption allocation-Sitzheizung Stufe 2 untere Schaltschwelle     
(Translation: Seat heating stage 2 lower switching threshold) Def. value: 21.50 ∞C
(4)-Driver seat heater level current consumption allocation-Sitzheizung Stufe 2 obere Schaltschwelle     
(Translation: Seat heating Level 2 Upper threshold) Def. value: 22.50 ∞C
(5)-Driver seat heater level current consumption allocation-Sitzheizung Stufe 3 untere Schaltschwelle     
(Translation: Seat heating stage 3 lower switching threshold) Def. value: 35.00 ∞C
(6)-Driver seat heater level current consumption allocation-Sitzheizung Stufe 3 obere Schaltschwelle     
(Translation: Seat heating stage 3 Upper threshold) Def. value: 36.00 ∞C
(7)-Driver seat heater level current consumption allocation-Sitzheizung Stufe 4 untere Schaltschwelle     
(Translation: Seat heating stage 4 lower switching threshold) Def. value: 35.00 ∞C
( 8 )-Driver seat heater level current consumption allocation-Sitzheizung Stufe 4 obere Schaltschwelle     
(Translation: Seat heating stage 4 Upper threshold) Def. value: 36.00 ∞C
(9)-Driver seat heater level current consumption allocation
Sitzheizung Stufe 5 untere Schaltschwelle     
(Translation: Seat heating stage 5 lower switching threshold) Def. value: 52.50 ∞C
(10)-Driver seat heater level current consumption allocation
Sitzheizung Stufe 5 obere Schaltschwelle     
(Translation: Seat heating Level 5 Upper threshold) Def. value: 53.50 ∞C
(11)-Driver seat heater level current consumption allocation
Sitzheizung Stufe 6 untere Schaltschwelle     
(Translation: Seat heating stage 6 lower switching threshold) Def. value: 52.50 ∞C
(12)-Driver seat heater level current consumption allocation
Sitzheizung Stufe 6 obere Schaltschwelle     
(Translation: Seat heating stage 6 Upper threshold) Def. value: 53.50 ∞C

The strange thing is that the levels seem to be identical in pairs, as in level 1 and 2 have the same temperature values, level 3 and 4, level 5 and 6 as well.
I'm guessing the lower threshold is the temperature at which the seat switches on and the upper threshold is the temperature at which the seat switches off so basically the seat will keep an approx. constant temperature between the lower and upper threshold.

Now to get back to my point, I am guessing that setting 1 on the dash warms the seat up to 22.5C so I would like to put it up to 27C. Question is, which level should I change in the adaptation channels? Should I change both level 1 and 2 to lets say lower threshold 26C and upper threshold 27C or should I only change level 1 and leave level 2 as it is?

« Last Edit: 03 March 2015, 16:12 by GeoBog »
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #709 on: 03 March 2015, 17:32 »
If it was mean I would change the 1 and 2's to match, seems logical like the others, could it be driver and passenger?

I believe my R does the tear drop all the time, I want to turn it off, but just haven't played with VCDS much yet. I also have keyless.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.