Author Topic: c teck ct5 stop start charger  (Read 715 times)

Offline ianmb

• Not said much yet
c teck ct5 stop start charger
« on: 18 October 2021, 19:34 »
Has any one have any experience with this charger on a 7.5 GTI , not using the car as much and wondered if it would be a good idea to get one.Am I right in thinking you do not have to take leads of to charge ,and you can leave it on trickle charge when not using the car.

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: c teck ct5 stop start charger
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2021, 20:17 »
I never had any luck with CTEK chargers always broke, personally I prefer Optimate.

But yes put just leave it on charge until you want to drive, there's usually a small permanent fixture you can add to the terminals. Note - you can't remove the nuts on the terminals you need another nut to add to them.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline AGB

• I live here
Re: c teck ct5 stop start charger
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2021, 23:24 »
Has any one have any experience with this charger on a 7.5 GTI , not using the car as much and wondered if it would be a good idea to get one.Am I right in thinking you do not have to take leads of to charge ,and you can leave it on trickle charge when not using the car.

You can get a quick release connector which is a bit more convenient than attaching crocodile clips to the battery. The mechanism is a bit cheap and doesn't feel robust but works fine. You'll probably have to put a new eyelet on because the eyelets are pretty small and I couldn't find a suitable earth point to securely attach it to.

Not sure if your car is parked in a garage but if not, just check the rating on the housing. I think CTEK are IP65 or 44 these days.

I moved away from CTEK and use NOCO which I've been pleased with. I have a wall mounted Genius 2x2 between two cars and build quality and features are good. I think they're better value than the CTEK personally and they're rated to IP68.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR