Author Topic: Reem Racing - Project Reem VR6 Racecar  (Read 11603 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Reem Racing - Project Reem VR6 Racecar
« on: 10 October 2012, 19:23 »
 :cool:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Reem Racing

• GTI forum regular
Re: Reem Racing - Project Reem VR6 Racecar
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2012, 20:41 »
Hello

July 2011 i picked up a Mk3 VR6 for amazing £350 from ebay with Tax and MOT.
The second i got her home started working preparing to race in the VWDRC at Bug Jam at Santa Pod.

I stripped the car completed and installed a Autogauge Tacho and Carbon bucket seat with 5 point harness.
Also some 100mm adjustable coilovers and a Decat, again Ebay specials.

Drove the car to Bug Jam where i applied some nice bright stickers and The Reem Machine was born.
That weekend i managed a personal best pass on the 1/4 mile of 14.0 at 98mph which i was over the moon with as just a standard engine. I also had the car put on the scales and the result was 1050kg.

I went on the WIN!!! Bug Jam on my first outing with the car.
Following Bug Jam the Reem Machine only saw the track a handful of times in 2011.

Planning to race again at Bug Jam this year i picked the car up in June to only find the head gasket had gone

After replacing the engine we started work on removing more weight from the car, this is how she was raced last year.....

Work started on removing excess weight from the doors via the windows, elec window motors and wiring etc.
Also removed the sun roof and motor.

Once the windows were all out i started working on alloy panels for the doors and rear floor. Then started making windows from LEXAN sheet. Once made i fitted the LEXAN into the doors, boot and sun roof. Then fitted the alloy into the doors.

I left the rear floor until i painted the floor in a gloss white.

Once this was done i could fit the floor and the seat back in.
The next addition was a hydralic handbrake and then the wizards of Nos nitrous kit.
We fitted the bottle into place and following a few discus with the guys at WON fitted plumbed in majority of the system and wired in the twisted sanity progressive controller. Built a little alloy control panel to house the nitrous switches. This completed the interior work.

With the exterior we started with raising up the rear suspension to remove travel. Next came a touch up with orange spray paint to the front and rear splitter and with the added addition this year of orange wheel arches and spoiler. Next for wheels and i have always wanted a set of Team Dynamics Pro Race 3 in white so they were ordered specially as 15x7.5 for my brand new straight from the states, M&H Drag Slicks.

Finally comes the important bit, POWER.
New additions for 2012 came with a new air filter, 10mm leads and lighten flywheel. Also a new oil catch tank and 6 branch manifold before deciding not to fit due to lack of time to heat wrap. Also of course, the Nitrous which we decided on a 100hp shot. But this we did not fit until the friday morning of Bug Jam. To complete this i went for a 3 inch side exit following the Decat.

Off we went to Bug Jam 2012.
On saturday we managed a past on the 1/4 of 12.7 at 108mph on an unprepped track.
On the 6th run bent a valve during the burnout with ended play.
Next outing was GTI Festival so look out for details on what happened soon.

Below are some photos and a link to my 12.7 pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WseVicCN3IY&feature=plcp

Thanks
« Last Edit: 16 October 2012, 21:28 by Reem Racing »

Offline Reem Racing

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2013, 21:21 »
Had the car out running at GTI festival with a stock VR6 engine replacing the grenaded one after bug ja

The track wasn't great and grip was a big issue even after dropping the slick pressure down to 7psi however after tweeting the nitrous intake.

I run the nitrous on a progressive controller connected to a microswitch on the throttle. I turned down the original starting shot of NOS and had it coming in later on to cut down the spin we got on line.
On the Saturday we managed a consistant time of 13.0 at around 104mph before the weather ended play.

Sunday morning the car lost power 3/4 track on the first run, another bent valve!!!

Here are some pictures

Back in storage she goes for now

Offline Reem Racing

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2013, 19:25 »
This week picked up a new heart for her

A 2.8VR6 with 2.9 throttle body and inlet manifold dyno to 195bhp before i've got my hands to it so a very good starting point  :smiley: