Author Topic: R20  (Read 13454 times)

Peskarik

Re: R20
« Reply #20 on: 31 May 2009, 17:25 »
they dont come on the car std, and how can anybody prefere a cayman over a 4s  :huh: :rolleyes:

+1
even the basic Carrera is significantly faster and more entertaining than Croc S.

Offline synnea

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 03 June 2009, 15:57 »
Is there still no more word on the R20? Or equivalent new R model Golf? I thought there was supposed to be something at the Nurburgring event the other weekend.
R32 : DBP : Lux Pack : Winter Pack : Cruise : Leather : Parking Sensors : Rear Tints : Armrest : RNS 510 : Ipod MediaIn : FreeView Tuner : VagCom

Offline davoaj

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 23 June 2009, 16:44 »
All gone quiet on the R20 front hasn't it!

I'd hoped after seeing the Scirocco R in last month's evo that we'd be getting some Golf R20 details sooner rather than later.

At the moment all my attentions are being drawn by the new Nissan 370Z, which is really appealing to me!!

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #23 on: 23 June 2009, 19:48 »
Well why would the release an Rocco R when they've not long launched the GTI? so I'd say late this year or next year for the Rocco R and mid to late next year for the Golf R. They need to wait for the sales on each model to calm down before they launch the next performance model  :wink:
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline davoaj

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 23 June 2009, 20:52 »
Thing is though mate, the Rocco R has already been announced, just surprised they haven't released some details on the R20. From what I've read you can order the Rocco R now for delivery later in the year.

Probably just me being impatient after being underwhelmed by the new GTI.

Jkctr

« Reply #25 on: 23 June 2009, 21:08 »
A guy off ctro went over to try out the rocco r (worked for VW)

Ill quote him for anyone interested-

Scirocco R Test Drive Overview 19/06/2006:

Cars on test:  Scirocco R, Scirocco GTD [190PS], Scirocco 1.4TFSi

As promised please find below my impression of the new Scirocco R, amazing what you can get done on the plane coming back!

After an early start from Heathrow I arrived at the huge VW plant at Wolfsberg, or should that be town; its one in the same almost. I had been there previously before during my time working for VW Group and prior to the launch of the Tiguan.

I was made to feel at home immediately by the VW staff and reminder of how slick the operation is in Wolfsberg.
Firstly no camera's or mobiles allowed, I was asked to leave these in a secure visitors locker and VW were very strict on attendees emptying there pockets and satisfy security that there was going to be no breach or leak before we entered the main test drive area. So sorry but no pictures of the event.

I was taken to a section of the plant that I had never been to before, I was reliably informed that this was the final testing/ preparation area before cars get the final sign off for production and it looked no different to any other part of the plant.

The door opened to a large clear area where the new higher performance cars were lined up. Along side the standard 1.4 Scirocco stood 3 more models, the 2.0 GT, the new GTD Diesel and what I had come to see the R. Also in attendance were the  new Golf GTI and Golf GTI R, the later currently under development. Most of the attention went to the Golf oddly, not sure why its basically the same car but just wearing different clothes in my book.

I was not here to look at the Golf and while I did give the new German tin a look over I was more interested in the Scirocco, it might even be my next car, who knows.

After the formalities were over, agenda for the day and my time slot [some 3 hours with the R version] I set about familiarising myself with the car layout and read through the extensive list of options the car was fitted with. As a rough calculation I estimated the extras I would like [if I were to buy one] to be somewhere in the region of £5-6k on top of the car price edging this VW towards the mid to high 20k's!

The driving position is comfortable; thanks to a highly adjustable seat and steering wheel and you immediately feel at home.  The cabin is built to a high standard and you immediately feel as though it’s a more expensive car than it actually is, the material quality is excellent as you have come to expect from the VW Group.
The instruments are clear to read and easy to use and carried over from the R32 range are Blue needles on the dials, which is a nice touch. But this is no R32, no sir this is a different beast.

The remainder of the cabin is very similar to the basic Scirocco model apart from the R logo embroidered on the front of the seat, just below the head rest and the dials. Am I disappointed? No, not really as too much change from the standard might have spoiled an already highly rated car and I can understand the reasoning behind all but the smallest of changes. The touches both internally & externally are subtle and effective and should stay that way in my book, gives it a more wolf in sheep's clothing appeal.

Standing back from the Scirocco range its hard to tell them apart, which is good and bad as if you are going to be spending the sort of money the R you want it to say "I've got the top of the range", yet you don't want it so garish its right in your face.

The only thing for today's drive that won't be on the production car are the front seats, although the design is the same the leather fitted is not to production standard and its quickly explained that this is only for test purposes, personally I don't really care about the leather not being a tight as it should be on the edges of the seat and slightly ruffled, but thanks anyway Josef!
The Front sports seats are highly adjustable and give good support and there's plenty of room for the front passenger. Excellent sound insulation means that when out on the autobahn/ motorway the trips are going to be refined, relaxed and enjoyable.
Most of the functionality & layout for the driver is carried over from the Golf, generally easy to find and easy to read and you know your in a VW.
Down side is the slightly chunky windscreen pillar that can restrict the view slightly and can imagine pulling out of T-junctions may require a little more caution, but I am sure you would get used to it over time and its not as bad as the R32 from memory.

After starting up the Scirocco with the door ajar it's immediately evident that there is something special lurking beneath the bonnet. There is a lovely rasp from the tail pipes just to let you know what's there and after a few gentle taps on the accelerator pedal the rev counter jumps to life to the tune of an even deeper rasp.  All good so far but I just can't help thinking that some of that sound is going to be lost out on the road and could only be captured and appreciated day to day if the car was a convertible, this car definitely needs to be heard.

The 262BHP engine looks fantastic on paper and certainly makes you want to prize that deep raspy echo from the rear pipes, it’s a tight fit under the bonnet and while someone explains to me the finer details of its capability I start to loose interest for a moment because all I want to know is where the oil and water checks are and that's my education complete.

Although its performance figures are strong and acceleration is effortless - 0-60mph of around 6.0 seconds and a top speed of 155mph it matches pace with the new Golf GTi even though that carries a further £2k [approx] premium over this car, this I don't understand!
Gone however is the big 4Motion four-wheel drive system and it's noticeably more agile, it feels like it has been on a diet and Detox program and feels better for it. There is no compromise with the traction and handling is sharp and precise providing plenty of grip at take off.

The R32 was fitted with the 3.2-litre V6 that just needed to be heard, this car is no different and you find yourself just wanting to push the car to repeat the sound time and time again.
Where the R version does show its strength is its effortless acceleration from 50mph upwards, which makes overtaking - even in otherwise tight situations - a breeze. Out of the factory on the autobahn it was easy to be close to Three figures from the speedo in no time.
The models I drove today also gave me the chance to try the DSG gearbox. Gear changes in 0.3 seconds so I am informed and it’s a smooth slick operation make for a slightly faster 0 to 60 speed but there is very little in it.
The DSG is a superb piece of engineering but after driving the manual version first I was inclined to prefer this option, the driver involvement was more connected and involving but this is personal preference.

The Scirocco R is a very capable driving machine with little body roll, and rapid throttle response.
Grip is amazing, while there were opportunities to push this car hard it never felt as if it would let you down, solid reliable and planted. That said it is not as involving as the Type-R through the wheel when pushed hard you got the feeling that should it go it will go big time!
Brakes have been up rated from the basic models and offer extra bite, with bigger discs and a larger brake servo. However the R isn't a brute to live with. When in the town, the steering lightens up, parking and nipping in-and-out of traffic was very easy.
On the autobahn/ motorway it was also very comfortable and makes for a good mile muncher if you’re doing lots of miles day in day out. You are constantly tempted however to drop it a gear, take the window down a few inches, turn the radio off and listen for that rasp – trust me its in there and needs to be persuaded to come out and play.

Looking at the practicality this car certainly offers a lot. It's not a class leader for the title of the best family hatch,  but this one's just as fast if not a bit faster than most.
The boot area is deep and narrow but the high lip may make loading slightly more awkward compared to the current Type-R  but it does have 60:40 split seats so carry slightly larger loads should not be an issue.
The rear end is wide perhaps somewhat pert in a way but does make access narrow; again this is compared to the Type-R.
Not sure I would get my Weimaraner in the boot, its not that he won't fit or have enough room it's just getting him in into that actual boot area.
I am told there is no plans for a 5 door version [not that they would have told me anyway] so if you can live with the 3 doors access to the rear is not a problem and practical. I would however say that it's going to be more challenging if you are my height [6ft 4"] sitting behind me driving and long journeys could be more interesting as I had to put the seat almost all the way back to get the desired leg room. This is no different to the Type-R on a day to day basis and a question of what your used to really.

Residuals should be and remain pretty good and I can see strong demand for this car across the Scirocco range but I am not sure that the higher CO2 rating will attract anything other than the mainstream hot hatch enthusiast, with mainstream buyers aiming for either the 140TDi or GTD 190PS Diesel version offering similar performance and greater economy from this car. Alternatively if Diesel is not for you there is the 1.4T  or 2.0GT as a petrol option offering the same thrills and enjoyable pace with improved fuel economy and lower CO2 output.
« Last Edit: 23 June 2009, 21:10 by JulesV6 »

Jkctr

« Reply #26 on: 23 June 2009, 21:08 »
There was little information if the numbers in the UK remain will be restricted, which would help keep prices high [something VW did with the R32]. While fuel consumption is a little high for a coupe/ hot hatch - expect 30.0 mpg in everyday driving if you believe the figures offered from VW themselves, which is not excessive and comparable to rivals.

The price is on the high side for this car in this category but if you are willing to pay that little extra then I think it’s worth it as you get a little exclusivity for a little while anyway and low deprecation over the next 3 years.
Overall I would say a great hot hatch and a worthy return of this icon that is most definitely going to get some serious consideration but is it worth the extra money over its rival's remains the biggest dilemma in what is a very competitive market where the Type-R, Megane, Clio and Focus to name a few all sit and priced lower than the Scirocco R?

One thing for sure, it's certainly a better value buy than the new Golf GTi and worthy of carrying the VW badge.

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #27 on: 23 June 2009, 23:33 »
You'd think working for VW and being a car lover he'd be calling the Rocco a Coupé through out and not referring to it as a hatch  :rolleyes: 

Tsk tsk.
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline synnea

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 24 June 2009, 08:45 »
Good write up.

Still wish there was some more info on a new Golf R version, Im fed up waiting lol  :rolleyes:
R32 : DBP : Lux Pack : Winter Pack : Cruise : Leather : Parking Sensors : Rear Tints : Armrest : RNS 510 : Ipod MediaIn : FreeView Tuner : VagCom

Offline davoaj

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 24 June 2009, 08:59 »
It worries me that as a VW man he actually says that he's told there are no plans for a 5 door version.....

Of course there aren't, it's a blummin Scirocco!!

Interesting little read though and sounds quite promising if the Golf R20 builds on this and has the 4 motion as expected.

Come on VW hurry up and give us some details.